Too many compressors?

I just realized I have about 3 compressors in my live setup chain, all with the same settings on them, am thinking of adding a fourth, and realized I don’t know what I’m doing:

DT master compressor >>
OT with a master compressor on T8 >>
Boum >> out

All are set similarly: slow attacks to let transients through, fast release, high-ish threshold, low-ish ratio (1:4 or so), makeup gain of a few dB, dry-wet about 50%.

AND i’m thinking about adding an RNLA/RNC as a simple end of chain limiter… with all the kerfuffle about Stimming’s Instant Mastering Chain I’m suddenly thinking I ‘need’ another box in the chain to keep levels stable.

I figure the DT compressor makes sense since it’s like a ‘drum bus’, which I would anyway do in a DAW. But is using the OT’s master compressor necessary if I’m running everything through the Boum (and maybe an RNC/RNLA later) anyway? I should A/B to see if I’m losing dynamics with all this compression, or something…

I know i’ll get a lot of ‘use your ears’ responses, which I do plan on doing, I’m just asking from the theoretical / best practices angle.

Thanks!

Compressors have different sounds and feels to them so if you feel like the ones you’re using aren’t doing what you’d like them to do its reasonable to consider other options. On the other hand 4 compressors in the chain sounds a bit much.

Maybe the last compressor in the chain would work well in your setup if the attack was set to a bit faster and the release longer.

The compressor on the OT gets quite a lot critique but it like it. I use it more as an effect than utility tool though.

For straight up end of chain compression I would use the Boum for the glue.

2 Likes

I’d try with shorter attack on OT and / or BOUM

4 Likes

Tried what @sezare56 and @Strutter suggested and set the attack on the boum shorter, release time longer, compression up to about 10:1.

What’s interesting is with more compression I have a lot more room to turn the drive and level up and really saturate the signal - adds a lot of character and yes, “glues” things together.

Was so afraid to lose my low end but that’s what the mix knob is about.

Thanks. I love this forum:)

4 Likes

Excellent!! It’s always nice to be able to help someone. :slight_smile:

I’ve learned so much from the Elektronauts, this forum is the best!!

2 Likes

FWIW when I “finish” a track in my DAW (whether recorded from hardware, made with only software or something in between) I usually use two U-he Presswerks on the 2bus with similar settings. I like the sound of two compressors splitting the work between them rather than one compressor with heavier settings.

Also agreed that having the same settings on two different compressors might not lead to the exact same end result.

3 Likes

The Presswerk is so nice. it’s my latest compressor plug-in purchase and I couldn’t be happier with it.

1 Like

‘’Super Nice" mode for near invisible compression. This mode cascades three stereo compressors in series to reduce compression artifacts.

With this Mode, you will have three more Compressors.

3 Likes

I’m not sure if you’re recommending for or against but to me the fact the RNC cascades compressors shows that you shouldn’t worry about “too many compressors”. It’s well known that several stages of gentle compression often sounds better than one stage of hard compression.

2 Likes

I wasn’t sarcastic about this. I was pointing out the fact that you can have multiple Compressors in the process.

2 Likes

I only use one. Now I’m starting to think I’m doing it all wrong :thinking: again :smirk:

2 Likes

If it sounds good, it is good… :wink:

Ofc with compression and also other stuff that affects the perceived loudness, it’s critical to compare before and after at similar levels, so you don’t trick yourself (louder usually always sounds better).

1 Like

Great tip yes! I’ve been pretty careful about tweaking the Level knob on the Boum so that 0-100% dry wet sweeps are at a consistent volume at either side. It’s also really nice to check it at 100% wet to hear what it’s actually ‘doing’ to the sound. I also do this on the DT and OT as well

1 Like

Did you mean that both of your Presswerks have similar settings to each other? Or similar settings to what I’d mentioned (one with faster attack & slower release, the other vice versa, eg one as glue and the other as limiter?)

1 Like

I’ll go ahead and drop this pertinent thread here:

You may find some use from it.

1 Like

Yeah, I’m using the g bus on my SiX. That one doesn’t do all that much with the gain, it’s more active in just managing the thresholds. But it does it so well and is so sensitive to even the slightest movement, it feels like super analogue modulation style :blush:

Sorry about that, I usually start with one of a few pre-sets that come with Presswerk and tweak from there, the second instance would be similar to the first. The short answering being, as far as I know your settings and mine are not the same : )

The main point is, two compressors doing the work of one often sounds better : )

1 Like