To Octatrack or not to Octatrack?

Curious to hear what aspects of the mk1 you like better.

1 Like

Coming from an MKI AR to a MKII OT, I’m also curious. I considered a second hand MKI OT but the additional buttons sold me. I have so many keyboard shortcuts memorized for software I feel like my brain is too full of that sort of stuff.

1 Like

I prefer the LEDs and buttons on the mk1 as I find the square buttons with the integrated LEDs a bit harder to read and the round buttons feel less cramped, I suppose it could be a case of getting used to it though as I had the mk1 for 8 years and my eyesight isn’t as good as it used to be :wink:

6 Likes

Everything works legit?

I don’t know, not mine. I sample in OT and copy files on computer after.

Great idea…Straight to the puter. I have almost 3 years worth of OT sampling that I have been looking through.

Octatrack every day. Digitact is very good, octatrack is magic

1 Like

Bought and sold my ot many times
Now I have an ot mk2 and an a4 mk2

Ot has groves, made on 5 tracks (kick, sn, hh, perc, sub), a master track and one looping track for song transitions)
My a4 is used for spontaneous playing

This combination gives me a lot of power
steady basis with ot groove
Flexible enough to have fun

3 Likes

I’m glad you’re back @wouzer
Still juggling , I hope?

3 Likes

juggling every day, but suffering on injuries
it is important for me to do more than one thing

summer juggling
winter indoor juggling
winter music making

with both, I am touching infinity

5 Likes

I always feel like I am juggling when using the Octatrack live.
So many things up in the air at once with how I have it configured. Have to pay attention!

The Twister MIDI controller has helped a lot, like going from juggling 5 objects to only 3.

1 Like

Do tell. Just the M:S running into the OT with rec loopers? Are you using the twister to mute and trigger recorders?

Live input, FX, loops, stems, lots of FX.
Twister is like a mixer. EQs, level, fx sends of multiple tracks at once, instead of paging around on the OT.

I don’t use the recorders.
They make me angry.
I prefer to be happy, so I don’t use the recorders.

2 Likes

Hey, i’m curious about your setup as I have a Twister and a DT, and am considering an OT.
Do the Twister and OT communicate both ways - e.g. do the Twister’s endless encoder LEDs update to reflect what they’re mapped to if you change it on the OT? Are you mapping just single controls to each knob or multiple?

I have a USB midi host for connecting external controllers and have used it with a nanokontrol, but the advantage of the twister is the endless encoders and visual feedback…

I am finally getting along with recorders. I have track 5 with a flex recorder set at 128 steps constantly recording track 8, sometimes cue. Works great for capturing moments and bouncing down stuff coming in external devices…
Edit: I also use the cross fader trick, so when I slide it over to the left, all tracks but 5 are muted, and other right track 5 is muted.

Sorry, don’t want to be rude, but I’d love to know how you can record 128 steps constantly. Doesn’t seem possible without external midi.

I only map things that I do not want to touch on the OT, so I have no interest in bi-directional communication.
Can’t comment on using it that way.

I map single controls, with the push buttons resetting values (to either 0 or center detent)

There are a couple MIDI fighter Twister threads here where this discussion would be more appropriate to continue.

That’s good. They’re powerful!
I’ve tried, but my own sense of peace and happiness when it comes to recording is better ensured if I just use my DAW and audio interface. Chances are recordings are headed to my DAW anyway, for additional processing.
I need to continue to love the OT this go around, and hating the way it records is just something I have come to grips with, and even though sometimes I really get excited about finally making more use of those features, it always ends in frustration. I’ve learned my lessons by now.

1 Like

Not rude. Never.
I set my recorder memory to 128 steps (in memory settings), then have the track 64 steps, at “1/2” speed- a trigger on the first step. Recorder length max.

With Reserve Length? Apparently units are in seconds…I’d be very interested in setting it with steps!

Well, it’s been a couple months since I set it up, but as I remember there was steps and seconds. One on each side. I’ll have a look later and try and take a pic.