To modular or not to modular

Happy Friday fellow Elektronauts,

Right now I am trying to decide to go modular or not. I have a Make Noise 0-coast that is fun and I use it with my Analog 4. But that device feels limiting to me. Friends of mine back in socal have walls of modular gear plus dozens of synths like Elektrons and so forth. But I don’t have an unlimited bank account or room. I like the concept of modular and the 0-coast has been fun in a wacky non-traditional way. So far been using the free VCV Rack to learn basics of how a VCO fits in with a filter and VCAs and modulation works. Tons of fun and love patching wires versus computer DAW creation or just the Elektron method.

So my question for you here who have Elektron gear and went the modular route, did you keep your Elektrons and use them with Eurorack and what recommendations would you have?

1 Like

I enjoy using modular with the OT as a midi-sequencer and arranger. It’s been a long road but I’m really happy I have a few cases to match with it. I think the key to modular is getting a medium sized case (eg 4Ux104HP) and then build really super slowly, and really absorb each module as you aquire. Avoid the temptation on blowing your bonus on a prefab system or just getting one of everything Intellijel/whoever has in stock.

Modular has gotta be one of the easiest formats to resell and trade. If you buy used you will typically never lose money, well I guess that’s mostly true for all synths.

You can also dip your toe in the water with VCV rack and other virtual patchers like Audulus 3. They don’t replicate the joy of patching but patches on the computer can be saved and recalled and you never run out of VCAs.

Best of luck whichever way you go.

2 Likes

I’m thinking of adding modular as well and thinking about starting off with one of these! https://www.tangiblewaves.com/

Ill list some helpful advice, but first let me say this, it’s an addiction, seriously. So pace yourself, and try not to go overboard out the gates. Always think whether or not you really need something and try to ask if a module would benefit your rig. I use all my Ekektron with modular. Pick up a CV OCD and you’ll be able to use them as sequencers and cv controllers. You can already do that with an A4. If you havent already create an account over at Muff Wiggler, the premier place for all things Modular. Now for some pointers
-Try to always buy used. So many people rush into it and buy a bunch of modules then realize it’s too confusing or not for them. Muff is a great place to buy said used modules. Ive saved literally thousands buying stuff there.
-Get a nice sized case with lots of power. This will allow you to save money in the log run and not have to constantly upgrade cases. Use Modular grid to build a case and see how everything fits. Also use it to check and make sure your case has enough power to handle all the modules. Familiarize yourself with how power works with modular.
-Quadruple check that you’re plugging everything in correctly. Red line goes to -12. So many people have sadly fried their modules by accidentally plugging the power cord in the wrong way, don’t be a victim.
-You can never have enough bread and butter modules, they may be boring, but this is whats makes euro so exciting. I’m talking about VCAs, Envelopes, LFOs, Sample and Holds, Addler, Xor, Mults, etc. …
-Have a plan. Efx, Synth, Drones (please no more), Drums. Hybrid. Deciding what your first route of passage is will help to keep you on track and prevent you from wasting money on a hodge podge of modules that can only make different shades of farts when plugged in.
-Buy stuff used, even cables (modular addict is a great place to buy cables if you can’t find any used ones, plus they sell them for great prices). I already mentioned buying used, but I really can’t stress how much you can save by getting stuff 2nd hand.

• Try and find modules that offer several different modules in one. Companies like Mutable Instruments excel at this. Not only do you save money getting something that has several different modulation possibilities, but you also save precious space.
    -Ask questions. Ask even if you think it’s dumb. Just, be sure to search the forum to make sure it hasn’t already been asked (it probably has). If you read something and can’t make any sense of it, go ahead and ask for clarification. Pete love to nerd out on this stuff, and can be extremely helpful.
    -Have fun and explore. Your patches keep sounding like shit, and nothing you try sounds like that one person’s patch on youtube? Don’t worry, we all start out like that (why you see so many used modules). Just keep patching and learning. Keep at it, and soon you’ll be able to figure out exactly how to make it all work, and get the sounds you’re after.
    -Record your noodling around. Euro is so temporary. You may come across an amazing patch, and with one knob twist, its gone forever. This sort of the allure of it all. I Record all my jams onto a recorder. That way if I make a make a sound I really like, I can save it and bring it up in my OT and further jam with it. Euro is the emperor of happy accidents.
    -Look for ways to incorporate what you already have to save more money. You can use Elektron gear to make things happen (A4 sends CV, gates, and triggers), but you can also use programs like VCV to send cv and process sounds. So much potential is available to you with that program. You’ll just need something that has DC coupling outs to send CV and DC coupling inputs to relieve outside cv. There are so many possibilities that you could spend your whole life patching and never duplicate the same patch again. Cool stuff.
    Good luck, and happy noodling.
17 Likes

modular has been a productive thing for me. there’s a lot i really love about it. it took a bit to get there but i’ve no regrets really.

other than the advice above i’d say think hard about what you want it for and have a plan. do a lot of research. if there’s a modular store within driving distance that has demo systems make a couple trips and spend some time patching. if not then muffwiggler forum and youtube are your friends. check the sites of the manufacturers you’re interested in. download manuals etc.

for me modular excels at complex monosynth stuff and sound design and multitimbral operation with complex sequencing. but you can bang our any kind of thing on a modular once you know your way around.

don’t overlook digital modules. there’s so many really great things that are digital. i wouldn’t go all macro programmable with modules… too many things with multifunction button presses and screens etc slow down patching and this might be a turn off to start.

you can do complex things with simple modules just by patching up complex things. some modules try to be all things to all people and they often fail. usually patching can get you there if you have a handful of modules to patch up. think in terms of functions.

if you want something you can compose entire songs on then find the right sequencer.

don’t buy like 5 expert sleepers distings. lol. some people do. one is good to have because it can do so much and saves so much space and $$ in a small system.

don’t overlook doepfer modules. there’s plenty of really essential great ones and they’re affordable. don’t worry about getting the latest/newest thing. sometimes the older version is the thing that has the magic sauce.

don’t overlook utilities… attenuators, mixers, vcas etc.

with 2 analog oscillators, a good wavefolder and a good filter you can make all kinds of great sounds.

oh and yeah… MATHS is really that great.

you don’t need a wall of modular to get things done. 2 or 3 rows of the right things and you can really explore a lot of territory.

VCV rack is a good learning tool. any modular environment is actually a good learning tool because of the concepts you acquire.

4 Likes

I think modular workflow taught me a lot about synthesis overall.

I also think eurorack is, on the whole, an awful format; the “flavor of the month” aspect of it all can overshadow what’s possible to learn and create. But a lot of that has to do with internet synth culture, and my own biases, so big grain of salt here.

My advice: define what you think you want to do with modular, research, refine what you think you want to do with modular, research, strongly consider a single manufacturer system, then go slow.

4 Likes

Pico system 3 + 0ctrl + CV OCD has been my deeper step into the modular world (still not very deep), I’ve owned a few other semi modular synths and played with a few more still but none of them really gave me a modular feel even when played together which the pico system succeeds at. Lots of interesting stuff to do with it, lots of inspiration to be found. For me it seems to at least for now be a sweet spot, enough to play with and get creative but limited enough that you really start to try to push it in inventive ways.

Maybe try to build the equivalent on the pico system 3 in vcv rack and see if it would suit you. It’s a great deal if you’re on a budget.

For me though the key to making all this stuff musical is an Elektron box, I wouldn’t say I need modular to go with it but is sure is fun and can be inspiring to make some odd sounds to then build a track around.

2 Likes

I would get a small case and decide what sort of sound design you are interested in. Then just build something modest that accomplishes that well.

3 Likes

Thanks this is great advice. I really love pairing my Elektron gear with other synths. I like crazy sounding oscillators like the Erica Synths Black Wave table and Plaits that I am using now in VCV rack. I also found quads like a quad VCA, octal envelope that has 8 envelope generators in one module to save space. The new Expert Sleepers Disting EX would be great as it is two Distings in one module. So I think that a 7U Intellijel case would be awesome to take advantage of 1u tile modules and have plenty of room plus be portable. I love ambient, techno and industrial sounds. For me, the Elektrons give me these but the hands on patching of wires is good therapy and cool. But like you said, I don’t want to spend 50k on gear and space. So I would get something like the Intellijel 7U case with the Intellijel Quadra VCA module, Erogenous Tones radar enveloper generator that has 8 EGs! For VCO, something like Plaits and Expert Sleepers Disting EX that has LFO and dozens of functions. Throw in the Intellijel 1u Steppy sequencer.

1 Like

@sacguy71 Would really recommend this route over a full case 7u immediately.
Rangling 7U + multiple external devices isn’t as simple as it may seem.

1 Like

True but what if I want to expand? I’d have to buy another case. Then again, most modular folks have small cases and massive ones. Probably start with the Intellijel palette case that has 1U options. I figure get 1u tile utilities and free up 84HP for key modules.

I started with a 90 hp skiff, then about a year later I got a 7u 104hp. Within 2 years I sold the 7u and but I still have / use that 90hp skiff for the few things I have left. I think if I started with the 7u I may have felt inclined to stay committing to using the tools because of the sunk-cost fallacy even though they weren’t serving me, because it’s not the end all be all workflow / instrument. Not that that’s a typical thing to happen, but it can be advantageous to have a small case around for a number of reasons (travel, wanting to focus on a few things, etc.)

Plus it encourages you to go slow.
(I’m getting a little preachy, I’ll stop)

1 Like

If you build something around voice modules you can just swap out those elements and maintain the main utility components.

1 Like

Another option would be to buy a Doepfer A100 basic system that has the basic utility modules like VCAs and EGs and 1-2 rows free of space to add in custom modules like a filter or VCO. I may go that route as I’d get the essentials to learn on then buy a few select modules that strike me as cool and unique. The Make Noise stuff is loads of fun and I’d want a Shared System one day but I need to learn how it all fits together before going that wacky route.

Have you looked in to Empress Zoia + Poly Beebo/digit? If space and dollars are your main restraints, as they are mine, then I would think this is the most logical road to a modular introduction/learning ground that you won’t grow out of. Imo. Especially the Poly as it has multiple ports of Mutable Instruments modules and you avoid the modular starter cost of patch cables and power racks.

No I have not. Do you have a link to it? I like the Grendel RA-99 Grenadier patcheable synth that looks fun.

Watch a few YouTube videos to get a good idea of the capabilities of this little thing.

And also a good review of the Zoia if that kinda thing interests you.

1 Like

It’s a disease, I fully recovered a few months a go.

But it’s starting to itch and ache again :face_with_thermometer:

2 Likes

These are both really cool and capable bits of gear. One thing I’d recommend thinking through is the interface. I owned the Zoia, and liked the sound of it and idea, but it bacame a thing where I started to loath turning it on and start working at piecing things together. One knob is also a major downer. I did eventually hook up a UC33 for expanded control, but that turned into a laborious task as well, having to map everything. Some don’t mind at all, others do. Figure out which person you are.

1 Like

The important thing when starting out with a modular is planning. It is easy to see those fancy modules and forget utility modules that actually make them “work”. Sometimes if you buy a new and popular module, it gives you a couple of new things to do. But then you buy a 40$ doepfer sequential switch, and you get 20 new patch ideas.

And be aware of multi function modules like some of the mutable instrument ones. They are awesome, but with multiple function modes and knobs that changes what parameter it controls it can take away some of the joy of a modular.

I newer buy a new module unless i have 5 patch ideas thought out beforehand. Helps me keep everything under control.

A couple of tips:
Quantizers are like sample and hold modules. But in “tune”. Makes everything a sequencer.
Try modulating everything at audio rate. Its almost always awesome.
Sequential switches are very cool. Doepfer has several cheap ones that is fun to play around with.

Most importantly you have to decide if you like having fun, or having money. With a modular its hard having both. hehe.

4 Likes