[ Tips & Tricks ] Afraid about the Octatrack

YAYAYA the machine silly the machine you cant print the machine :stuck_out_tongue:

okay. so, buy it :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

This is a very beautiful response. So much of music forums leave me feeling like Iā€™m surrounded by people who want immediate results without appreciating and respecting the process or cultivating a love for that process.

7 Likes

Mozart had an Octa track :

1 Like

I advise having the PDF version of the manual nearby - on a tablet or something. The printed manual is great but is not well indexed. With electronic version you can use FIND.

2 Likes

Yep. I always search in Pdf. Bookmarks, comments.

1 Like

Youā€™re too kind. But I agree, the work should be most of the fun and a reward in itself.

Thanks for the mention, itā€™s much appreciated :blush:

1 Like

I approve this thread. The octatrack is getting the dustcover and itā€™s going to be paired with the push2 again. Iā€™m going back to the Merlin Guide, Octaedit, and I will start octachaining my drum hits. The analog keys will go in storage in the meantime so I donā€™t get distracted.

4 Likes

Funny iā€™ve just buy OctaEdit yesterdayā€¦ itā€™s worth it.

http://octaedit.com

2 Likes

Heres a handy tip.
Keep the first 8 flex and static slots empty. That way when you start a new jam yor tracks will be empty to start fresh.
And when editing audio and if your like me and want to zoom right in, use the up and down buttons instead of wearing out your encoders.

11 Likes

So obvious, now youā€™ve pointed it out. :ooh:

2 Likes

Funny that the only thing that could have frightened me about the OT before purchasing it, was its real lack of features and possibilities when compared to computers, ah ah!

But after six months on it, intensively and extensively, I can say the OT is a breeze of fresh air, given the fact you 1) get really into the OT essence, learn it and donā€™t try to bend it into something it isnā€™t, and 2) feed it with great sounding sound sourcesā€¦

I use, say, 50% of the OT abilities, and the other 50% is like having still some huge environment to explore in your favorite gameā€¦ no fear, just desire and curiosity about what new songs will happen next time Iā€™ll play with itā€¦ ah ah,

stop spreading the fear!!!

OT IS LOVE

5 Likes

Another good reason for that is that you canā€™t PURGE SAMPLES in those slots.

2 Likes

Maybe an old topic but I think reviving it is ok.

I got an OT, 4 days with it and discovering itĀ“s potential.

My question is: why the demo project has 4 parts (treated as songs) with 16 patterns for each one? This implies that, if IĀ“m in part 1, pattern1, and I choose part 3, for example, when I select pattern 2 it jumps to part 1 pattern 2. So it has no sense to organize the parts as different songs if the pattern has its part locked, isnĀ“t it?

Do you have more demo projects?

No you understand things wrong. I donā€™t know if this is the correct thread to start discussing parts and patterns: you might want to read more of the manual, watch some videos and do some research on the forum. In short: a part is NOT a song at all, itā€™s like a kit. Patterns are the sheet music, parts are the orchestra. You can play the same patterns with different parts (kits). Start from there.

4 Likes

Parts were an alien thing to me until I read Merlinā€™s guide, it explains really well the structure of how things are organized in the OT.

Thanks, I read the Merlin guide, IĀ“m with the manual as well, read dozens of threads and saw lots of videos but the problem is that is not the way theyĀ“re using parts in the demo project. They have 4 diferent songs, one for each part, so the way parts are designed is not the way theyĀ“re used here, thatĀ“s what I mean. Am I wrong?

@Grumo To answer your question:

Using one part for one song is the simplest usage of parts and fits well with how parts are designed. You can think of this 1 part/1 song relationship as having a fixed orchestra for the complete song.
Thatā€™s really not an uncommon usage of parts.

I would even say itā€™s the most common usage for parts and thatā€™s why they haven chosen it for the demo project (keep it simple for newcomers).

1 Like

About not being afraid: I have my new OT for a couple of days now. On the first day of experimenting, I wanted to send it back, because I didnā€™t manage to get click-free loops of drones out of the box. I mean, a sampler of over a grand that clicks with simple loops? WTF? Really frustrating. But after some more manual-reading and forum-diving, it turns out there are multiple ways of achieving this, some easy, some more complex, some handy in one situation, some in other (in my situation, I use Pickup machines with a couple of 0-gain overdubsā€¦).

Rationale: if something is not working like you want it, it probably just means you didnā€™t find out how to do it yetā€¦ Donā€™t give up!

2 Likes