Tips on sine-width modulation

Thanks for that Veets, :slight_smile: I was wondering does the LFO depth parameter value matches the target parameter value? as in if I set the target I want to modulate to 1 and the lfo depth to 3 with a tri wave will it modulate the target parameter from 1 to 3 and then back? does that make sense? Thanks!

FP

That sounds about right to me.

@Veets could you repost these somewhere? That dropbox link doesn’t work anymore & I can’t find the sine width mouldation files on your website. Thanks!

1 Like

I just searched my hard drive for all kinds of things and was about to give up but… voila! Glad I kept at it.
@jw here you go on my website for all eternity :smiley:

Awesome thanks! these are so cool.

1 Like

How about some new waveforms :wink: ?
I came across this great thread by chance while looking for info on requirements for DigiPRO waveforms. Got excited and wanted to apply the same principle to a triangle wave. Only while making these did I remember that doing this for a tri wave makes this go from sawtooth to tri and back to sawtooth! See this screenshot:

Having some good fun with this rn. I ended up making these in Pure Data, I just hate using spreadsheets… The zip contains 21 files, going smoothly from falling saw to tri and then to a rising saw. Named in alphanumerical order so no re-arranging of files is necessary. Just send them to your MnM in their original order and you’re good to go.
The numbering is based on the patch I made them in, they’re essentially an interpolation index / position of the peak in the space of the waveform… I only put 3 waves in the screenshot for illustration purposes as showing all 21 of them is just too messy. Download the waves and look at them for yourself, you’ll get the picture. Have fun guys! And thanks @Veets for this fantastic idea!

T100.zip (13.0 KB)

3 Likes

Ooh that’s cool! And the picture is kind of blowing my mind. If you take the middle picture, and shift the peak to the right, then you get the bottom picture so that would be triangle-width modulation. Great stuff @manifold and @jw !

2 Likes

Yeah, it’s neat! I just thought that an animation is a lot better for illustrating it so I made a gif from the patch that I used to make these waveforms. So here are all waveforms that are in the zip:
T00-T100

3 Likes

That’s so cool - I never visualized that before!

Funny how a square wave thins out when you do this, but the sine and triangle thicken up!

Another day, another music mind bomb.