Tips from regularly gigging people

You are showing up to play, and that’s all that counts, that’s the important part.
My main recommendations would be, do what you have FUN doing. For example, If that’s just playing one delay knob, do just that.

Stress can be unavoidable prior to the gig. Planning, preparing etc. So choose to do something that’s easy and fun. Don’t over complicate it to where you are stressed setting up and performing. Make it easy and fun so you can finally relax once the show is underway.

Same for something visual, make it easy and fun, nothing that can add stress.

Definitely don’t think much about how others will respond. Only focus on how you will respond.

1 Like

One thing I’ve always done is set up the gear I’m using on some kind of case, or board whatever. I rehearse with that.
I leave it all plugged in and secured when taking it to the gig.
All I have to do is offer my stereo outs, and possibly a sound check.

I always start with an easy to play intro track so I can adjust volume, check everything and get situated. That knocks the nerves off.

1 Like

Speaking of visual gimmicks, I have an acid 303 show coming up and I was thinking of how I would be able to fit an Octatrack, TR-8, and TB-3 on my little portable stand. I was thinking I could just wear the 303 around my neck like a necklace and use the X/Y touchpad. I got a wizard hat I could be the acid wizard. It’d look so premium if I taped a battery pack to it and had wireless audio and MIDI, walk around the audience

Maybe I could just use the cables as a “Necklace” to wrap around my neck

6 Likes

Dude, you absolutely have to wear a wizard hat and strap a 303 around your neck. Do not fail to realize this vision.

3 Likes

And a robe; don’t forget the robe.

2 Likes

Yeah put on your robe and wizard hat.

2 Likes