Tips for Background Ambient (Techno)

Hi!

I am a novice DubTechno/Techno/House/occasionalBreaks producer at home, DAWless, Elektron-Roland-1010-Volca ecosystem, fairly large setup. Little music theory background. I try to learn a lot. And I do jam at home a lot, although finished songs are seldom since I am a bad perfectionist. Sample+synthesis workflow mixed, I’m open.

However, there is one thing that slows my creativity and find hard to accomplish.

I want to have subtle (sometimes not so) background ambience layer under my music. You know that is sort of the canvas and gives the mood under the heavy percussion bass and chords.

What is the best way to achieve this and the suggested method to approach such operation?

I’m open to a sample packs to buy as well as to do it myself on synths. I have pedals, reverb BigSky, RE-202, have synths like the A4 or SH-01a and also have the Octatrack and Digitakt and perhaps will bus the 1010 BlackBox which I am hooked onto due to the satisfaction with the BlueBox.

Thank you and sorry for asking.

Cheers!

2 Likes

Field recordings are your friends! You have the effects to make it unique!

Yes thanks, I have thought about acquiring a Zoom H5 but not sure about the possible result. Like bird chirping, river flow and such routed thru the Octatrack and filtered/mangled to oblivion for instance?

Is what you’re looking for sometimes described as “texture”? Biopads on the A4, samples on DT or OT slowed down and then pitch-shifted and mixed, bit-crushed and sample-rate-reduced. You have enough equipment and there are plenty of field samples out there for the taking.

2 Likes

I asked Chat GPT and it came up with this:

Creating background ambiences for dub techno music can add depth and atmosphere to your tracks. Here’s a concise guide to help you create those ambiences:

1. Field Recordings: Use a portable recorder to capture natural sounds from your environment. This could be anything from cityscapes, forests, oceans, to even quieter indoor spaces. Once recorded, you can process these sounds with effects like reverb and delay to give them a more ethereal feel.

2. Reverb and Delay: Dub techno often uses vast amounts of reverb and delay. Send percussions, chords, or any other element to a long reverb or delay and then record the wet signal. This can create a backdrop that gives the impression of space.

3. Synthesized Ambience: Use synthesizers to create pad-like sounds. Consider using detuned oscillators, slow attack and release times, and filter modulation to get evolving textures.

4. Noise and Texture Layers: Use white noise or sampled vinyl crackles, tape hiss, etc., to add a layer of texture. Low-pass filtering noise can also give the sensation of wind or distant water.

5. Loop Processing: Take a small loop from an existing recording or a piece of music. Process it heavily with effects, stretch it, and reverse it to create a unique texture.

6. Granular Synthesis: This technique involves taking small grains or samples of sound and playing them back in various ways. Software like Max/MSP, Ableton’s Granulator, or plugins like Output’s Portal can be used for this.

7. Layering: Don’t be afraid to layer multiple sources of ambience to create depth. However, be sure to EQ each layer to ensure they fit together without muddying the mix.

8. Experiment with Processing: Use effects like phasers, choruses, and pitch shifters to make your ambience more interesting. Modulate the parameters of these effects over time to keep them evolving.

9. Sidechain Compression: If your ambient layers are too dominant and clash with other elements, consider using sidechain compression triggered by your kick or other prominent rhythmic elements. This can ensure the ambience breathes with the rhythm of your track.

10. Tape and Analog Emulations: Many dub techno artists use tape machines or analog gear to give their tracks warmth and character. If you don’t have access to such gear, there are many plugins available that emulate this sound.

Remember, the key is to experiment and find what works best for your personal style. The beauty of dub techno is in its depth and atmospheric quality, so taking the time to create the perfect ambience will be worth the effort.

3 Likes

I’ve been playing around with this today actually for a live set later this year, using INF reverb and also various approaches like super high-pass buzz sounds like or complex chained samples to more easily find appropriate textures.

Happy to explain anything in more detail in the video and if you have a Rytm the project is free to download, although probably transferrable manually across most Elektrons if not.

I hope this is helpful.

2 Likes

Asking is how we learn! Heck, answering things asked is also how we learn! Never feel bad for asking.

To your question, you’ve got Roland in your kit, yeah? Are any of them romplers? Chords built with those, especially with large intervals, kind of phase against each other making for wonderful ambient backgrounds. Add some light filter modulation or vibrato to taste.

If not, you could take a slow string sample or something and make the chord out of it on the BlackBox. It’s got a beauty of a time-stretch algorithm, and will phase in a similar way. Same with the Digitakt, though you’ll probably want to resample it again afterwards to free up tracks.

2 Likes

You can use your phone to make some recordings and test / start working also this is great to explore the nature to get some sounds you like also the city is excellent for Techno vibes. reversing long samples works great. Dave Mech have some nice videos showing the process. Creativity is key.!

2 Likes

Drown any of your synths/ samples in reverb and delay, best to stay in key. You cans also play minor chords (root note +3 and +7 semitones).
This gives a nice bed for anything dub techno.

I would keep it less animated or rhythmic as it would draw too much attention (unless you want to make it more prominent). Maybe some swelling, again anything with hard attacks will push itself to the front.

Simple drums loops or percussions at very low volume and plenty of delay and reverb works nice too.

Don’t be afraid to use delay after reverb and don’t be afraid to use bass heavy sounds with this effects chain.

Then just record long sessions of noodling, chop 8 or 16 bar bars and make sample chains for the OT. I would do that in a DAW and also use at least an eq to get rid of the everthing below 120hz.

Experimentation is the way to go, find your sound and worklfow then pump out material to have a nice library at your disposal for jamming.

2 Likes

one of my fav methods for atmosphere on any kind of music (but especially for dub):

Noise (pink/white/blue/purple) -> phaser -> dual filter -> reverb -> distortion (experiment with fx order, maybe add even more fx)

I like to mix all of these noise colors and play with mixer levels, also lfo all kinds of reverb settings is amazing! tried lfo on reverb predelay on A4? It’s fucking nut’s.

Also general tip for dub techno: less is more in terms of sound sources, more is more in terms of mod sources and FX.

4 Likes

take environmental samples (no need to buy anything, just record on your phone, rip from youtube or download), add the fx other posters have mentioned, resample WHILE PLAYING WITH THE FX so you have a long atmospheric sample, take this latest sample, add some more effects that have movement. maybe do the resampling a few times so you have a couple of layers.

also remember that just because it’s background ambience, that doesn’t mean it shouldn’t have any development. give it a minimal but perceptible arrangement.

edit: saturator and/or vinyl distortion are also really useful for the crackly little high-frequency noises that you often hear in dub techno.

1 Like

Paul-Stretch

2 Likes

I use this alot. Dont ask me how it works though.

1 Like

Not very familiar with dub techno. Has anyone got examples of what kind of soundbeds you’re making / aiming for with these techniques?

1 Like

dub techno comes in many sizes, shapes and colors.
this is one of my fav sets:
SHS 3 Robin Kampschoer x Speedy J live - YouTube

Also there is this thread:
Dub Techno Recommendations - The Lounge / General Discussion - Elektronauts

1 Like