Tips for a satisfying experience learning the Analog Rytm AR

I make kits that have complimentary or completely clashing sounds, and I just make TONS of kits! I tend to use a lot of samples for textural elements (drones, ambience). Many times I will take the Analog engine and load a longer sample of some weird science fiction and just play a snippet of the samples for a little character for a drum sound. I also often mangle a longer sample and have it loop while I p-lock effects/other parameters.
My music it’s pretty weird and abstract/no ‘bangers’.
Fun machine.

2 Likes

Reading all these great tips is really helping me reflect on how I learn and what will keep me feeling positive and interested. I’m definitely an experiential learner so the ideas about just getting stuck in and making stuff are perfect for me. I like the idea of some structure though to help recognise progress and direct some of my natural curiosity and tendency to noodle around without a purpose. I sometimes feel like if I indulge myself in jamming I won’t actually learn anything so thinking of some simple “topics” to jam on is a brilliant idea. And setting up Projects for each type of work is a great one as well.

The only obvious downside to all this is I’m now GASing even harder for the Great Unboxing! Must…resist…!

1 Like

All these tips towards helping getting along with the Rytm really makes me want to just share how quick and intuitive it is. With some other boxes it’s different for me, but with something like Rytm Id say just dive in and enjoy! Nothing to worry about at least:)

Maybe, to offer one constructive thing: compared to OT where I came from, Rytm has more limited storage. So definitely could be a fun prep project to carefully craft a couple of good folders of samples.

1 Like

Check out some of the sound packs and reverse engineer them when you hear something surprising. I really like Legowelt’s - he did a lot of interesting things with kit construction and sound design that connected dots for me.

1 Like

When I got my AR2 I used an existing song that needed a better rhythm track. It forced me to learn the UI & Elektron system while digging into the engines. To figure out the sampling process I sampled some of the sounds from the existing track.

I’ve also taken the approach of doing a cover version simply to learn how a piece of equipment works.

I did all the tutorial videos etc but found hands on really helped me accelerate learning.

2 Likes

My experience, while getting it perhaps only 2-3 weeks prior to you, is slowly build up your ability to use all functions quickly.

In your head you know you want to hear something and to know which menu item to jump into to get the element you are after is really valuable. That will keep you at the machine for easily 2-3 hours (wondering where the time went cos you’re having too much fun).

I really value the perspective above too. But you gotta prepare yourself to proactively listen to a kit ( or sample) and say what do/don’t you like about it and what can you change.

Anyhow, im still in kindergarten…

After coming back to my Rytm and old projects after a break, modifying the in-use kits and saving the project I had a lot of “oh… what works in THIS pattern causes THAT pattern to sound like ass” realizations.

I created a new project and will use that as the “kit”, and try the flow of using each project as its own kit.