Time to switch gears on my production

Im so appreciative of the current sounds thread… Its actually gotten me the most plays on SoundCloud by posting on there.

1 Like

Awesome. SoundCloud posting requires a bit more thought. That’s why I just use the little audio player on here. The MB limit is also useful in preventing me from posting 20-minute drones :joy:

2 Likes

current sounds is amazing! on reddit there’s a weekly thread on TechnoProduction of feedback, it’s a bit different approach, people post full tracks and the community gives feedback like “this is good, this is bad, try something other here, mids too harsh, great vibe” stuff like that, there’s generally decent quality stuff there being posted so if you are after constructive criticism and feedback for full tracks you can try posting there as well!

2 Likes

Just have fun that’s my workflow. Besides, making money and a living in music is darn near impossible these days without tons of luck and connections! I get told all day long by no name internet snipers that my music sucks and I spend too much on gear lol.

I felt that!

I was going to go Pro, but I’m waiting till I have an Album before I do that.

And the upload limit is actually great to have a rolling curation of my music. I delete the tracks with the least plays to make room for new tracks.

It will be a time for celebration when I get over 100 plays!

2 Likes

That’s dope. I’m trying to avoid having a Reddit and a discord account.

Social media causes me problems.

But if I’m feeling groggy, that’s good to know.

1 Like

yeah I can relate, closed my fb, whatsapp, instagram and don’t miss them at all, however the thing with reddit is that you can subscribe to several subreddits of your interest and it will show you only the content from these on your “home” page, that’s how I use it anyway, from time to time I get a short glimpse of “popular” and it’s too much, but if I keep it only for my subscribed subs of interest usually it’s pretty good experience…
I have a uBlock origin on my browser so it hides all the ads and you can hide stuff from your page manually, so I’ve hidden the links to other stuff that I don’t want to see and I keep it pretty minimal.

not advocating that you should but from my experience with several small communities and the help of some browser extensions it’s pretty mellow compared to other social media that shove stuff in your face…

3 Likes

Thats why its so tempting…

But the problem is with me… I get compulsive with things, and will become consumed with too much interaction.

Im hoping to find a community IRL here in Chicago once I’m done with art. Maybe find someone who needs a producer thats just starting out like me.

4 Likes

Yo, I’m a naut in Chicago, dabble in DnB, and have been thinking it could be cool to meet up with some fellow hardware heads. Pretty family oriented/reclusive these days but was already planning to start a Chicago thread after another naut mentioned going to a rave in Austin (Chi-town) where the performers were using Elektron!? I am definitely unapprised of these types of events but want to be in the know!

1 Like

Yo… we need a Chicago thread! Start it up and I’ll post on it for sure.

How much you into DnB? Do you ever try Deboniar on thursdays? It’s usually DnB night, but they weren’t open right after Halloween, so I don’t know what’s up.

It’s usually dead with only 10 people, but the djs are awesome.

Yeah, huge DnB fan since the 90s. I have been poking around online for a DnB night and came across the Debonair but wasn’t sure about how regular the night is/was. Thx for the tip, will get out there at some point for sure.

Will also start a Chicago thread so keep an eye out!

Finally, the last jam I loaded on my YouTube channel was a DnB track using Elektron. It was a year ago (ugh) so I definitely relate to the spirit of this thread haha…

2 Likes

Yeah, just tag me so I can get the thread going.

And I subbed youYT, so start putting more up there. We can start getting serious at this if you want. Once the Chicago thread is going, I’d love to post all my tracks and get feedback from you.

That track is RAW

1 Like

Wait, I got you.

You doing anything Dec 17th?

I got a ticket to see Goldie I can’t use. He’s at Smart Bar.

You can have it.

I got tickets on the same night for Zeds Dead at Aragon.

Whoa, Goldie! Honestly not sure about the date yet but that offer is super generous and I’ll take you up on it for sure if I’m around and you still have it!

I’m running out but will start that thread for sure tonight. Thanks for the sub/feedback!

1 Like

Each jam i listen to is better than the one before - you really upped your stuff.

3 Likes

Thank you :pray:t5:

1 Like

Well, I decided to switch it up.

I scheduled 15 weeks of piano lessons.

I own a bunch of Moogs and a Prophet 6,

I might as well learn how to play keyboard.

4 Likes

I’m quite torn between churning through stuff vs spending more time finessing. I started making tunes in Ableton which is a lot easier to spend time fiddling with minutia, and I think as a result I ended up with some of my better work. But it was definitely more ‘calculated’. Since getting into hardware, I’ve been focusing on learning to play the machines live and it’s been a pretty rough ride - there ends up being trade offs, making sacrifices for the sake of an ‘honest expression’. I listen back to a lot of what I’ve recorded and put out over the years and it’s incredibly inconsistent.

I think in an ideal world there would be a balance between both modes of working, and that’s probably what a lot of us hardware folks are after - the perfect workflow. :wink:

2 Likes

That’s exactly why I posted. I’m struggling to find a flow.

When I pour over minutia, sometimes I produce myself into a corner. A trash corner.

I totally agree with everything you said.