Time to Let Go of the A4?

My approach with both the A4 and Digitone is to wipe the presets (sounds, patterns, whatever). It makes it impossible to be distracted by even the temptation of relying on them. Plus, it feels good to have a truly clean slate that forces you to get cracking.

3 Likes

I’ll never let my A4 go. The sound is great and imo very versatile. I’ve always thought it’s particular “sound” is due to the effects; using external effects completely changes the game and can open new territory.
And if you aren’t blown away by the sequencing tricks and the performance macros (best part right there) then I’m not sure what else could help.

2 Likes

Yeah, sometimes I regret selling mine. I’ve not had the patience for Elektron pattern sequencing, but the CV element and detailed sound design is definitely pretty great. Octatrack still is my go-to :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’m glad I sold it back then for a good price and got me a Dominion 1 for that money which smokes the A4 soundwise. Compared to the Dom1 the A4 sounds wimpy as hell imo.

I never looked back. Sell now, thank me later.

1 Like

Funny. I am actual thinking about which items I can sell to afford a used A4. One man’s ceiling is another man’s floor.

4 Likes

Definitely a reason to keep it for me. :slight_smile:
Wait more to buy another one. :smile:
Multi Map, 128 sounds available to sequence with OT.

1 Like

Before selling it, try not to use it as a synth, ie, using p lock on filters and using the inputs as oscilators.
Use the noise, cv out as sound source by using its lfo’s, send the octa into the a4 and resample, send cc from your daw to everything :slight_smile:

The a4 is a never ending story for me.

5 Likes

I’ve been using it as a drum machine and processor for semi-modulars far more than as a synth recently.

2 Likes

I dont think the price will ever rise and it will drop to several hundred in a few years. Theres just too many of them out there. I wouldnt sell because of fleabay cheap seller days either. Its a way they get you to sell the things your hesitant about(like this). Subtle coercion they call it.

1 Like

Integrate it into your DAW using overbridge. see if it adds value to your computer based setup this way.

4 Likes

Good to remind it can be used in many ways!
Any better with 4 overdrive and 8 filters chain for 2 inputs? :content:
Well, limited distortion but…adding fx, doesn’t it worth it, even without the synth part?:slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

I only have an A4 and the idea of selling it has never crossed my mind - not even for mkii.

I think it’s going to get a stay of execution for now. Sat down with it today and recreated one of my favourite game music themes (end theme from Super Mario Land) and it sounds fantastic. Still to drum part and some tweaking but the core is in there.

Had a few teething problems that have frustrated but plenty of fun.

Really need to brush up on my OB knowledge though…

4 Likes

And here’s how I spent my bank holiday Monday… All A4 and recorded into Ableton via OB. A bit cheesy but I honestly love this theme!

Anyway, cheers for all the responses. Going to spend some more time with the A4 and try out some more things.

I’ve actually found myself playing my old Game Boy recently. Maybe recreating some of my favourite themes on the A4 would make for a pretty interesting side project…

10 Likes

that’s brilliant!

Please do this next

(think there’s a new science experiment in town - classic 80s home computer game theme covers/reworks on any single elektron synth box) :space_invader:

3 Likes

If you never use it, then sell it. I recently did that with a guitar (red Fender Tele-Sonic). I loved how it looked, and it was a super cool guitar, but for whatever reason I just never ever played it (had it for like 15 years). I sold it and haven’t missed it at all, plus someone else is putting it to good use.

4 Likes

That brings back some memories!

‘aww yeah’ had a nostalgic trawl through youtube of Atari ST games last night

I remember proudly sticking on Xenon II when mates came over - speakers up full - awe ensued.

35 years ago 'twas … yikes

4 Likes

That’s a great shout!

3 Likes

1 week on update:

Well, pretty delighted I didn’t punt my A4 in the end. Hadn’t used OB since way back when v1 came out and was a little flakey on my Windows laptop. 2.0 is VAST improvement. Had to remember how to set things up in Live from a midi perspective but had a lot of fun recording into the A4 as well as launching lengthier clips from within Ableton. Still experimenting on that front but already got me thinking of possibilities and creating some dreaded GAS around adding a DT/DN at some point.

Someone joked about beating polyphony by adding another A4 and not saying I will every go down that route but OB really does make it a viable and interesting option - especially when A4’s are going for under £500 at times now.

If they ever add drag and drop of samples from DAW to DT then I think I would cave and get one.

Anyway, still getting head around some quirks. Just realised my A4 is missing heaps of default patches now that I’m spending time with it but that’s kind of forcing me to create more from scratch (OB makes that much easier).

Starting to see possibilities again which is exciting. Might not last but for now, the A4 aint going anywhere.

16 Likes