Time to Let Go of the A4?

That’s a great shout!

3 Likes

1 week on update:

Well, pretty delighted I didn’t punt my A4 in the end. Hadn’t used OB since way back when v1 came out and was a little flakey on my Windows laptop. 2.0 is VAST improvement. Had to remember how to set things up in Live from a midi perspective but had a lot of fun recording into the A4 as well as launching lengthier clips from within Ableton. Still experimenting on that front but already got me thinking of possibilities and creating some dreaded GAS around adding a DT/DN at some point.

Someone joked about beating polyphony by adding another A4 and not saying I will every go down that route but OB really does make it a viable and interesting option - especially when A4’s are going for under £500 at times now.

If they ever add drag and drop of samples from DAW to DT then I think I would cave and get one.

Anyway, still getting head around some quirks. Just realised my A4 is missing heaps of default patches now that I’m spending time with it but that’s kind of forcing me to create more from scratch (OB makes that much easier).

Starting to see possibilities again which is exciting. Might not last but for now, the A4 aint going anywhere.

16 Likes

I’ve been struggling with this for a while, too. I got the A4 a few years ago and used it a bunch on my upcoming album, but I tended to use it for things that I could have probably just used my Virus C for. I did mod my A4 to have individual outs, which is neat, but I never actually use it in my setup. I’m in no rush to decide as there isn’t any other gear I’m looking into, but if I had to sell something, it’d probably be the first to go.

1 Like

I’ve come to realise I’ve hit a bit of a creative doldrums just now so using the period to use the A4 in isolation. Might as well learn while I’m finding my mojo again!

I don’t think it’ll ever replace the vsts I love ITB, how could it, but I do see a future of using it solo (or perhaps, in time, with another box…) and focusing on a more minimalist approach. Perhaps I’ll finally use it with my OT in a way that gets me results in happy with.

What I’ve also come to realise is it’s very easy to look at the A4 and think it’s a bit “meh” and put it at the top of the chopping board list. I’ve bought and sold the thing about 5 times after all (mk1s/AKs/MK2)! Rather than focus on why I should let it go I’ve decided to dig deep into the reasons why I shouldn’t. In a few months time I might end up concluding I should let it go but I want to be more sure than I was any of the other times I parted with one!

3 Likes

How?
P.S. please?

1 Like

Don’t mean to clog up this thread and not looking to toot my own trumpet but the A4 journey continues! To the point that my Octatrack is looking over very jealously…

Decided to knuckle down and see where I could take 4 tracks and came up with these three ideas:

Absolutely nothing special but I love the way things hang together with this box. I’ve said it before but I used to laugh at the “get 2 A4’s” chat some came out with but I actually get it now!

I finally sussed out how to change midi channel on my CME Xkey without the app too which is helping to open things up a bit more too (without other cables/hardware/etc). Maybe time to start forcing some OT/A4 love…

6 Likes

Try Multi Map sequenced by OT!
I tried it again yesterday, with lfos on perf macros, very efficient.
For an already done Multi Map I recommend @taro A4 FM Drum Patch Pack I tested here a while ago.

Not simple
Paraphonic Mode for A4/AK?

4 Likes

I have considered that! Think I’ll try a few things when I get time and see what I’m comfortable with taking further. Can even just try loading drum samples into the OT for a start

1 Like

Problem is also people tend to see Elektron Device as Groovebox most of the time. And it’s not. That’s not because you have “Parts” in a Device it become a Groovebox. it’s a Device in the form factor of a desktop device. For instance the Analog Four is a Synth in the form factor of a desktop synth (without keybed). Can you do a full track with it in a minute : nope.

So to me the Analog Four is the Less “Groovebox” of the Elektron Devices. And I guess that’s why you compare it like you done with a Laptop. A Laptop is the more powerful of the Groovebox except it’s seriously lacks of control… it’s not fun, it miss immediacy, at some point you will have to fully map everything. Otherwise, maybe you loose yourself with loops, samples and effects. But when it comes the time to construct something or perform something, time to map everything can really interrupt creativity.

I think the Analog Four is incredible, but it needs to be seen as a synth and if you want to have FUN with hardware, the analog four alone can lacks of immediacy because except if you make ambient… you will need at least a Drum Device and maybe a Sampler device to get what’s you had with a laptop…

Because if on the laptop you put VST synth, VST drums, VST or DAW Sampler you need to set it up exactly the same devices in the hardware territory to compare.

That’s how I see things.
For instance, there’s things you can’t do with the A4 you can do with DAW
And the opposite is true, when you start to use things like that (or completely choose ITB or OTB only for obvious reasons) You will never think or sell something (except finance drama) because each “thing” have a purpose in your workflow.

But if you haven’t a purpose or/and a workflow
It is the (maybe) time you need to ask you a question,
Do I need all of those devices, for the usage I have with it.
Only YOU can reply to that. No-One here can help.

(if I may say that like that, as I sort of reply before those last sentences)

Maybe time to start forcing some OT/A4 love…

Oh yes I do think you right there

Hint : maybe prepare your A4 better with only Sounds you like included Drums and then try again ! I do think it will change radically your point of view if you use the A4 powertools to override the 4 part limit

1 Like

Some top tips!

I actually like approaching the A4 from a sort of groove box perspective though I think I know where you’re coming from. So my “purpose”/“workflow” for now is to build melodies and bass lines I like then usually using a track for percussion. Listening back to the link I recently posted I’m probably accidentally heading towards 80s vibes with a. large dollop of FX!

What’s interesting in all of this is that last weekend I thought I’d sit down with Ableton and write something - ended up with writers block. Next evening I sat down with the A4 and away I went. So my latest revelation is to be a little more patient with myself and to accept that there is worth in having tools on the shelf that I can reach out and try if Plan A isn’t working out.

I wonder if getting the Oplab for my OPZ would allow for that and A4 to play quite nicely together… In my head I think they could complement each other very well actually. And the OPZ can power my Xkey. Might investigate that a little further… Would distract me from the gremlin on my shoulder saying “ah go on, get another A4 or a DN” :rofl:

3 Likes

Just got round to listening to that link you shared and… WOW! That sounds excellent! I know the A4 is good for drums but that really does sound great. My birthday tomorrow so may be a very small treat to myself and a way to spend some time forgetting how old I’m getting :sleepy::joy:

2 Likes

Happy birthday! Getting wiser? :wink:

Check Mod Drums pack too!
A4 MOD Drum Patch Pack

3 Likes

Thank you!! @sezare56

@J0n35y
This pack is also available at Reverb.
If you download any free software with Reverb, you will receive an email from Reverb with a 20% discount on digital contents.

3 Likes

Beat and Perc on 2 tracks with soundlocks
Bass and lead on the other 2 tracks

Long patterns with fills and 1st trig mode
Surfing from pattern to pattern, slowly involving
Go crazy on macro’s
Tweak an fck up all, then reload saved kit
Direct pattern switch & fill pattern switch

Enough for me as a Grooveboxe

3 Likes

A4 seems like the perfect groove box for my needs - we all expect different things and have different musical ends - I can easily fill up the space on two tracks - sound locks are what makes this work

and the joy of creating all the parts on the A4 is that they gel so well, especially with some delay / reverb (never once deliberately used the chorus, should probably see what it can do besides chorusing)

The DVCO on the AR helped complete it for contained grooves, but the A4 can cover more ground even without the samples imho, especially if you add a cv dimension

1 Like

me neither :slightly_smiling_face:
can‘t stand choruses somehow.
Also think the juno only sounds great when the choruses are turned off

1 Like

I’ve a romantic A4 weekend planned.
All this digitalism has made me cold and harsh, I need smooth curves.

4 Likes

Chorus is like truffles, a little bit goes a long way. Too much and it’s sickly.

2 Likes

This is why I like sine waves for my FM sound design.

Digitalism just wants you to be your best!