The Behringer era

There has been a lot of improvement in the material conditions of the majority of the worlds population. Less people live in poverty than ever before. These positive changes have come about through collective action over a number of decades.
Collective action is very important.

3 Likes

This thread appears to be devolving into jabs at fellow forum members. If you’re going to make jabs, lets keep it to abstract concepts and Behringer(perhaps not Behringer, though-as we don’t want Elektron to get sued)

1 Like

How long ago was this?

Surely before the internet- would be so easy to anonymously expose these bad business practices

yea it was pre-social media. 2003 I think. they wouldn’t get away with that kinda thing so easily now.

@Anfim - it was bonkers. we all went stir crazy by the end of it :smile:

2 Likes

Couldn’t agree more, what I’m saying is that in many places in the western world apathy and armchair activism has replaced collective physical action.

Do I believe that arguing on the internet isn’t going to do anything to change the imperialistic nature of modern western capitalism? Yes.

2 Likes

strange, i thought exactly this is happening right now :thinking:

2 Likes

In the case of Behringer, my activism is a kind of passive armchair activism. I’m boycotting their products. I don’t think there is more I can do. But I think that’s useful in itself. The negative press will push Uli to improve conditions. Additionally, I’ve decided not to support companies that imitate rather than innovate.
The problem in America is that there really isn’t a society anymore. Social building is what needs to take place for positive change to happen, but no politician (who should be the ‘social builders’) is interested in taking up the challenge (except perhaps Bernie Sanders). I think America really is a lost cause. If I was an American I would want to leave so that I could live in a society. I imagine that in the future (within the next 20 years) there will be American refugees.

So are we going from bashing Behringer to bashing America now…

5 Likes

I think my issue is that politicians and rich people ignore social building because it doesn’t affect them. Here is an example, globally, more and more rights are being given to LGBTQ people, and yet, laws still get passed stripping them of rights. Armchair activism doesn’t hurt Behringer’s bottom line because they are still selling out of product (boog is still immensely backordered). But I think in your statement you revealed something about what I’m arguing against in this thread. The other reasons you don’t like Behringer. I feel like this may influence your perception of this situation. In this case, Behringer opened his factories to the public, there was an inspection, and medical expenses of the affected were paid for. He also stated that not just assembly workers are in that building, but half of the company, including himself.

I’ll do you one better- boycott THE UNIVERSE! :open_mouth:

3 Likes

I’m Canadian, it’s my birth right. :stuck_out_tongue:

Actually I love a lot of US cities more than I love Canadian ones, but the political situation there is dire right now.

Believe me we know shit isn’t right
But America’s political situation has nothing to do with Behringer

3 Likes

No, but I think it was more of a statement on how this kind of discourse solves nothing, and actually it serves to temper the rage of people who would normally engage in political unrest by giving an outlet that doesn’t sow any real dissidence.

So why engage if you believe that?

I think the % of people that would engage in “political unrest” is exceedingly small as the majority tend to have far more pressing matters at hand.

1 Like

Discourses are more about establishing the truth. You get at the truth first. Then when something is true, that truth becomes meaningful. Then political activism takes up those truths and you try to make actual changes.
Of course without strong societies, truth tends to be diluted. But I guess this is off topic.

1 Like

The thing about this thread is, the issue presented in the first article happened 7 months ago and has apparently been resolved. The guys medical was apparently paid by Behringer too. See Uli’s statement.

While I don’t believe Uli is a good person there seems to be a propensity to believe only the crap and nothing else.

5 Likes

Boredom

Wow, so elektron make EVERYTHING that goes into their box!? All the boards, capacitors, resistors, switches, leds, screens, ink etc etc. What a miraculous company.

4 Likes

Hello everyone,

Let’s keep this thread on-topic. The debate is about Behringer.

Thanks.

2 Likes