The Behringer era

Can we have a Time to boycott Elektron thread now ?

I read it and I am aware that they sued for defamation, etc., but I did not see where that included an infringement claim or whatnot on the Rev2 as suggested by JamesM.

Open any thread with the word Overbridge in the title…

1 Like

You mean you choose to delude yourself. All the power to you.

Whelp, I guess I should get back to crushing people souls by employing them to be productive.

You may see it as cynicism and fatalism but as an African and child of a migrant I see things differently. I don’t have the indulgent veneer that most western people do. I am directly related to the byproduct of slavery. As we speak gold is being looted from my dad’s home country. I have no delusions that every piece of electronics contain conflict minerals. Yes including Elektron gear. I have no delusions that though many of my “assembled in x” synths have pcb’s made in China, with components made in China. This includes DSI and Elektron. And yes there is no ethical consumption in political systems where money is valued above human life.

Edit: I say all this, not to be a depressing nihilist, but because the sentiment that Behringer is all of a sudden the ultimate evil for their first labour complaint in China when many other companies people use here on a daily basis are subject to the same human rights infractions is not one that is based on logic or reason. I mean, Behringer’s factories don’t have to install safety nets to keep people from killing themselves. Nuff said.

5 Likes

I’m not crushing anyone’s soul cause I’m too busy crushing my own :wink:

Hmm you say this and yet…

Also you state that 850 USD annually is a living wage? These people are still living in poverty. Yes the global movement made an improvement but it’s not enough. I’m not using this as an excuse to do nothing, I’m stating that your armchair activism is NOT enough. We need socio-economic and political reformation if we’re going to have any kind of lasting impact otherwise we will be the mechanism for our own extinction.

2 Likes

that’s horrendous.

I once worked in a ski resort for first choice holidays.
we used to work frequently up to 85 hour weeks (minimum 65) and had to sign fake hour sheets that said we worked less than 35 hours per week. if we didn’t sign em we’d be fired.
we only got €180 per month but also got accommodation n ski pass so we did it gladly tbh.

but that showed an English company cooking the books to get cheap labour in europe so I must say I was wary of the Foxconn wage increases linked above.

1 Like

The boycott suggestion in the first post was over the workers strike over suspected formaldehyde poisoning at the factory

Legal suit for defamation was mentioned later as someone’s ammo for why Behringer sucks.

2 Likes

Fair enough. I can understand that position. Though, as someone pointed out earlier in the thread, the conduct of both parties (DSI and Behringer) are questionable and for me, reminiscent of the Apple vs Samsung battles (Apple STILL uses Samsung displays lol)

Ah, my bad. It was early on in the piece. I was so bent over in laughter by the end that nothing made any sense anyway.
Here is the quote,”Behringer also included reference to Dave Smith’s Prophet Rev2 as a competitor to the Behringer Deepmind 12 in the suit.”
So, ‘in reference to the suit’, but still, bat shit crazy.

1 Like

Thanks, I missed that part. Ridiculous, all of it. Oh and Behringer owe DSI nearly $200k in legal fees. :joy::rofl:

Not sure what’s crazy about that? They sued DSI because DSI employee continually bashed Behringer in public forums and claimed what Behringer is doing is illegal. And they did it because DSI can be seen as a competitor since both of the synths mentioned are analog polys…

Btw, I wonder how many of the Behringer-haters on this and many other forums are actually working for competiting synth manufacturers… would make a lot of sense to hate Behringer then :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Your thinking is the opposite of mine. It’s quite interesting how given the same information and data two people can come up with such widely different conclusions.

We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented.

Elie Wiesel

3 Likes

FACT: Behringer tried to sue Dave Smith Instruments and 20 forum users for libel.

It’s interesting you should make that quote. I’m willing to wager that people aren’t doing much to make any actionable change in the world. I mean if they were we wouldn’t still be dealing with Trump in the US…

You really believe this?

2 Likes

Jeezo. If I worked an 85h week there’s no way I’d have energy left for existing, let alone skiing.