Time Signature

I am thinking about buying the model samples. I have scanned through the manual to locate if you can change the time signature but could not find anything.

Therefore I assume it is not possible to create polyrythms.

Would I be correct?

:heart_eyes:

Thanks. I guess it is a case of changing the step lengths according to which time signature you choose and dividing the notes evenly.

The m:s can do polyrhythms quite easily. Track scale is utilized to achieve it.

Thanks. Had a look in the manual in the scale section and can see that you can change the step lengths for the pattern or individual tracks. But that is all I could see for creating polyrythms. I think that you still have to do the math.

For example 5\4 - 5 x 4 = 20 - 20 ÷ 5 = 1, 5, 10, 15
20 ÷ 4 = 1, 4, 8, 12, 16

Unless I am missing something.

You are not changing the step length on the M:S but the speed at which each track plays with track scale. Yes there is some overall math for figuring out master pattern lengths but nothing complex.

But it seems like you are just considering only number of steps per pattern/track for calculating an odd time signature with your math. Not necessarily polyrhythmic interaction.

If you search the forum for polyrhythms you will find a good number of topics for achieving them with elektron devices.

OK I will search. Thanks for your help.

For your definition of ‘polyrhythm’, you are correct. The M:S operates as a step sequencer and doesn’t deal in bars or time signatures as traditionally defined.

The M:S features that you should investigate are LEN (length) and SCL (scale) settings in the Scale Menu: some people refer to this as ‘polyrhythm’ and others refer to it as ‘polymeter’. Trig Nudge and Retrig also offer some opportunities for rhythmic effects.

2 Likes