Time signature spreadsheet or similar?

Hi folks,

I’m trying to get a grip on how to understand and make good use of the step sequencer grid (i e OT) in relation to playing around with different time signatures (i e 5/4 or 7/8 etc). Either only one through the whole song. Or perhaps splitting a song in i e two parts (say 5/4 and then 4/4).

How do you go about in the grid? Do you scale them up? Is the arranger of any help?

Does anyone know of some kind of spreadsheet table (preferably regarding OT but any step sequencer would perhaps be close enough). Just to get an visual overview of the possibilities and potential culprits…

Do you mean something like:
“make the pattern length an integer multiple of the time signature’s numerator”?

So if you equate 1 bar of 4/4 with a 16 step pattern, you might equate:

• 1 bar of 7/8 with a 14 step pattern,
  • 2 bars of 5/4 with a 40 step pattern.

Elektron has always avoided traditional concepts of bars and time signatures in displaying patterns, much to the long-lasting grief of some of their biggest fans.

4 Likes

This calculator helped me a lot :wink:

https://novinyl.net/octatrack.php

5 Likes

:laughing::laughing::laughing:

Just while as I was typing my response to PeterHanes, I see the notification regarding the response from knh. A quick glance at the link… hmmm, that seems to be something along the thoughts I were thinking of: A spreadsheet or website, somebody must have done something!?

Thanks @knh and @PeterHanes!

1 Like

weehoou!

Really fun to setup OT arp to play Chameleon (Australis), while at the same time sampling from it outputs!

This is neat. thanks

2 Likes

Thanks to @Kalimari who wrote the script!

1 Like

Thanks @Kalimari!

1 Like

No problem. The calculator also works for the digi/analog machines: thinking about making specific versions for them with matching track numbers. Watch this space…

1 Like

You can have master track length set to inf, then in the pattern ‘chain after’ setting, set to desired step length rather than the default ‘pattern length’

2 Likes