Time signature per track

Hi guys, is it possible to assign every track it’s own time signature on the DT? So, every track within a pattern:)

No

Each track can have its own amount of steps though, up to 64…

Ok, thanks guys. I hoped the OT could do it but doesn’t seem so too…I want some electronic jazz;)

The OT CAN do it. The DT cannot.

1 Like

You can still get time signatures using the track length, for example 5/8 would be 10 steps out of 16, 20/32, 30/48, etc.
And there is global scale settings 1/8X, 1/4X, 1/2X, 3/4X, 1X, 3/2X and 2X…

You ought to be able to squeeze out some jazz… :monkey_face:
Just start messing with those lengths and it’ll get out there, when you don’t know what time it’s in but it sounds great, it’s jazz!

3 Likes

Mike:) And we all love jazz, right;)

1 Like

Yes.

Track lengths can differ.

• 16 steps equals sixteenths in 4/4.
  • 12 steps equals sixteenths in 3/4.
  • 20 steps equals sixteenths in 5/4.
  • 6 steps equals eights in 6/8.

So I’m sure you can jazz around. :wink:

The track scale or division is global, though. I think this is what @provoda is thinking about. Track scale can only be per track on the Octatrack.

6 Likes

Hi Carl,

Good to know, especially the fact that it is possible per track on the OT. Hope to get mine soon now it’s announced to be shipped.

2 Likes

Hi there,

I tried to experiment with something similar this morning and I am a little confused- can you see if I am asking Digitakt to something that it cannot do?

Step1: Set Length Per Pattern= Yes
Step2: On track 1 create a pattern that is 48 steps long
Step3: On track 2 create a pattern that is 32 steps long
Step4: Now play the track. I hear Track 1 looping ok while Track 2 only loops then plays only a few notes of its second loop before playing from step 1 of its own pattern again.

What I wanted to achieve was a poly-rhythm. i.e. if both Track 1 and Track 2 loop based on their own indeendent track lengths (Tr1=48 steps and Tr2=32 steps) then a poly-rythm should be heard to play.

I guess I can achieve the same thing by only playing Track 1 on Digitakt and playing Tr2 from a Keystep but I had really hoped I could do this all inside the Digitakt.

You need to set the master length to infinite, that way each track will continue to loop without the other track length interfering, also set the pattern change length to your desired amount if you want to link another pattern as without master length it will play indefinitely

5 Likes

Thank you Digimatt! That works beautifully and I am now in looping poly-rhythm heaven. :slight_smile:

1 Like