Time limits as creative impetus

External deadlines (rather than self-imposed ones) are definitely a massive plus for getting shit done! Congrats on completing the musical on time :slight_smile:

1 Like

Congrats on the premiere! Any way to see/hear the musical or your previous work?

For some reason, I read the title as “tinnitus”. 🤷🏻

1 Like

I’ve been thinking about this kind of thing a lot lately but from pretty much the reverse perspective. I don’t know if it’ll help anybody but here we go: I’ve played various kinds of music in this town for about 25 years. I started the solo electronic thing the summer before covid with a PO12 Pocket Operator because the band type stuff I’d been doing for ten or so years was getting boring and frustrating equally. I had no goals whatsoever aside from just keeping interested in music. There was a period of a little more than a year and a half of unrestricted exploration and aimless fiddling. Total fun! But then I was asked to play a show. I love a good challenge so I said yes but I had nothing prepared. I found myself needing 30 minutes of music with two months to create it. It was perfect. It gave me a goal and a sense of direction. Now I’m on my third instance of this exact pattern and I’m a little tired of ‘working backwards’. While I have been forced to learn several pieces of gear in greater depth than I might have otherwise and have music that I’m somewhat proud of to show for it, my freewheelin’ feelings of random exploration have mostly been pushed aside and in their place I now have the need to deliver accompanied by the constant tuff question of “is this good?”, which can really beat up a guy’s head. So I’m definitely taking the rest of 2022 off from the ‘full effort’ live shows. I’ll still be down to bring out the shitrig for low stakes harsh noise, ambient or lo-fi 8 bit beats but ‘full effort’ stuff with the bigboy gear will be done as I feel like it and when I have a set’s worth I will tell the people who put on the shows that I’m ready to play. I’m looking forward to exploring gear that I’ve owned for over year but has only so far been used as sample fodder for a day or two because I needed to hurry up and get composing for the show. I’m looking forward to digging deeper into Renoise which so far I’ve only used for mastering and to make two little songs. And most of all I’m looking forward to returning to an approach where the constant question is “is this fun?” and leaving behind the “is this good?” for what I hope will be an extended period of time.

3 Likes

I’ve done the album-in-a-day 3 times, also around 15 years ago. Each time I ended up with a complete 45 minute album, and each time there were 2-3 tracks that were pretty damn good and which I’d still be proud of showing people. One thing I’ve learned is that it’s really a myth that you have to be especially in the perfect mood and inspired in the perfect way to create a great track. It’s not true, you pretty much just have to show up and be reasonably present enough that good stuff happens. When artists throughout the centuries talk about “the muse” they’re talking about this weird phenomenon where it doesn’t even feel like you’re the one responsible for it, it just happens somehow.

(Edit: of course it never really “just happens”… you’re invested in music, you’re always thinking about it, you’re thinking about the tools of the trade and the craft, you’re listening to music and thinking critically about it, and then when the time comes that all flows out in the moment without a whole lot of conscious thought necessarily happening in your decision making)

5 Likes

Time constraints are great. In 2018, we released EPs nonstop since we made sure each song took a day to make (improvise rhythms, improvise melodies, develop lyrics, sing lyrics). It was a whirlwind of activity. Perhaps some of it was less refined than our later work, but at the sense of urgency led to things getting done.

1 Like

The description of this single-synth album suggests something similar, the impending sale of a piece of gear.

1 Like

i would prefer Pro One (or clone) :grin: otherwise, my answer is yes.

1 Like

This should be a sticky at the top of the forum

:grin::ok_hand:

3 Likes

It’s the first time I’ve done anything along these lines. I have some very rough footage, but there’s further development to go, so I think I’ll wait before sharing anything online. Thanks for your interest though.

1 Like

Of course, be sure to mention/post it on the forum once you’re ready to go online with it!

On another note, don’t know if I’d be able to pull it off but the album in a day thing sounds pretty interesting! Hopefully I can actually try that one day!

it was an important part of fun back in the days.

i was playing in basement punk bands at that time, and overall recording process was more or less the same. the only difference is that we owned guitars/basses – but not drums.