tIB - tupilak - AE modular textures

Robert has been quietly turning his AE modular system into something of a digital hybrid powerhouse. Here’s a half hour of texturey crunch stuff, which you can have for nothing if you like this kind of mess:

3 Likes

nice one mate, I enjoyed that 20 mins of textural cross mapping. AE seems pretty heavy and thick sounding. How are you liking it, sound wise ? compared to euro and buchla.

1 Like

Hmmm, good question that - first and foremost I certainly enjoy it; I love the form factor and appreciate having a take anywhere system - mine runs off a usb power bank. I actually put it together for live use bug the pandemic hit shortly after and haven’t really explored getting out since.

In terms of functionality the range of modules Robert has avaliable is incredible - for me it’s felt a similar approach to doepfer, although that’s become more blurred with the arrival of the more digital modules. That side is where I’ve taken my system since its where the strengths lie imo…

Sound wise the digital generation is where it’s at; I replaced the analogue generation in my rig as, while serviceable, its FM isn’t a strong point and the digital stuff is more unique - look at the algodrone as a case in point. Processing is decent enough whether analogue or digital - the filters all have their charms (without anything being blow you away amazing), and the digital effects are excellent - the new clouds port is full of win, as is the not so new mulitfx. Nice spring reverb and PT chip delay are also great. My only gripe so far has been the wavefolder, though that gets used in virtually every patch, so while not a great folder, it has its merits.

So yeah, it’s a great single manufacturer, portable system with a great range of modules to piece together from. Bang for buck is superb too. Comparing to euro isn’t easy as I’ve not had one for a long while now and haven’t really followed the format since. Benefit to me there is the single manufacturer approach. Comparing to buchla? Hmmm… Very different approaches, strengths and costs. I won’t get the sometimes accoustic sounding beauty with the AE system, but then the thick digital crunch I’m getting in the piece above wouldn’t have been easy on the buchla… As always, it horses for courses!

Thanks for listening btw and good to see your name again!