Three Octatracks later…it finally clicks

I’ve tried 3 different times with this thing. It’s finally starting to click. Holy moly. I get the hype, I understand the excitement (and many, many frustrations) and I can see how one can grow with this box for years and years.

Extremely satisfying to FINALLY have that eureka moment with this thing. Just wanted to share my enthusiasm!

22 Likes

Cool. Have fun! :elot:

2 Likes

That was quick! :slight_smile:

14 Likes

I could’ve written the exact same title. I’m finally not scared to just do it! It can do so many things, you just have to go for it. When I stopped worrying about what would make a good video and just made myself start making music, or better yet, an entire record using just OT, op-1, and guitar, I started actually making interesting music not derivative of anyone else. Yes I’m a big fan of the Boards of Canada album The Campfire Headphase or Four Tet’s Rounds so you’re gonna hear a lot of snippets of acoustic guitars all cut up throughout but it sounds like ME finally and a huge part of that is coming to grips with the OT finally. I was getting hung up on the live thing for so long. Had to tell myself “you’’'re not performing this live right now”. So I slowed down and just recorded stuff into the OT manually. When it comes time to perform live with it (I usually just play guitar and sing but one day the OT will be up there with me when I’m brave enough and prepared), I’ll worry about live resampling and all that. There are times where I want that improv thing so I can go back and find some cool parts that weren’t planned so I’ll record live guitar into the buffer and set that recording to be sliced up randomly on the sequencer. So I haven’t taken the live thing out completely. Just showing that there’s so many ways to do whatever you want on this thing. When I combine it with effects pedals, guitar, and op-1f, it’s all I need. I need to remember threads like this when I’m gassing for Push 3- don’t need it at all.

12 Likes

So what clicked exactly for you?

3 Likes

The metronome track?
Sorry, JK :slight_smile:

15 Likes

By far best Elektron metronome !
Octatrack Metronome Only Warp Experiment Science Lab

8 Likes

wait… is everything in that song made from just one metronome sample!?

Yes. That was the challenge. :content:
Metronome synthesis, finally clicks…

19 Likes

That is VERY impressive…

4 Likes

Nice, although I can hear some clicks in the recording…

3 Likes

Everything in this track is made from an Octatrack metronome, sampled? That’s actually unbelievable…

2 Likes

OT’s metronome, sampled. It has 2 different metronome sounds btw, 1 tonal, and 1 pulse (sounds like a saw once looped).

3 Likes

That metronome sounds like my old Atari ST (Pro 24/Cubase), but maybe I remember it wrong. Somebody should compare them both one day :robot:

2 Likes

I have 2 Atari ST in a box. OT’s tonal metronome may be similar (now you said so, sounds familiar indeed) but I wouldn’t make the effort just to compare metronomes.
Not sure to have compatible screen, imagine a blind test to find the metronome in Cubase !

I have seen vids on YT with the Atari ST metronome ON a long time ago. Maybe it is better not to know.

Wow! wow wow… j’en reviens pas ! This is impressive!

1 Like

besides from reading manual, and official elektron yt vids. Any one recommend lessons for a newbie

Depends on what area you want to study, but Cuckoo taught me sampling and slicing and that got me through year one. Monowelt helped with MIDI in year two.

1 Like

That’s so good! :heart_eyes:

Very inspiring!

2 Likes