Thread for complaining about synth prices

I read this as Plinky promised. The second hand prices for Plinkys are too high! Or so it seems. Weren’t they like $400 when they came out?

Maybe this should be the chip shortage complaint thread.

1 Like

state your donation in divisions of op1 fields so I understand the math

2 Likes

So, in acres?

1 Like

That’s the thing though, right? It’s one thing to be like, “Aw damn. That OP-1f looks sweet but I can’t afford it.” But instead people have to front and throw shade to hide their internal dismay like “LOL $2,000 for a toy! You’d have to be an idiot too buy that.” Like we don’t know they’re one of us thirsting poor.

Most manage to not buy things they don’t want and can’t afford completely silently all the live long day. The trolling exposes their jilted desires.

3 Likes

Let’s be civil here. Hectares please.

3 Likes

I wanna complain about synth prices, too. They’ve gotten way, way too low. Sheesh, anyone can get one these days! How are we gonna keep the riff-raff out?

19 Likes

The reality is there has never been a cheaper time to make music with synths- assuming you own a computer and a usb midi board you have access to incredible powerful synths for free or cheap…everything you need to make amazing music…

The ‘hardware’ synth stuff isn’t needed, it’s wanted…the more expensive some stuff is the more desirable it is to some (unobtanium!) but it wouldn’t matter what hobby you had, that would be the same- if you think synths are expensive check out camera lenses! Ultimately we are all collectors/trophy hunters…we just cant help it!

Now back to Reverb looking for expensive bargains I don’t need…

4 Likes

“No, we have expensive synth at home.”
At home: Cherry Audio
“But maaaa…!”

1 Like

6 Likes

But now synths are too small! In my day a sampler weighed 200 lbs, only caught half a second at a time and saved to floppy disk.

What are these teenage engineering things they have? Why would I want a sampler in my pocket, what am I going to sample? lint?

7 Likes

No no it’s simply that grooves are more in the pocket that way.

4 Likes

I agree that it’s a mixed bag but drawing class divisions on who can prioritize paying the prices of certain brands is dangerous. Some truly believe the products are worth the inflated cost, others don’t and are vocal about it. We can’t assume otherwise without stooping below that behavior which is being critiqued.

2 Likes

You could produce an album with professional quality using only an iPhone and the included DAW Garageband these days, since most people need a phone anyways, you could view the expense as non existent.

I wonder if alot of the TE hate is lingering from them boosting the OP1 price by $400 overnight? I’ve never been interested in their products, so I don’t know, but I’m guessing that was a bit irritating for folks excited to buy it.

Maybe there should be a guide to the discourse around TE so newbies to the forum knew how they should feel?

Some of the stuff is affordable but may break (pocket operators, op-z)
Sone of the stuff is expensive and may break (op-1, small mixer and new microphone)
Some of the stuff isn’t geared towards music making and may or may not be affordable depending on your situation.

All in all, they are a company who seeks to sell a lot of items, some luxury, and push the envelope design wise.

See, while I totally agree with your prohibition on classist discrimination (as, in addition to everything else, it’s just a dick move) I do not agree with your line drawing.

For example, all classes are equally capable of considering a thing worth the price or not. The trait that actually separates the people in your example is the unexamined need of those on the “not worth it” side to be “vocal”. The only class that indicates membership in is trolls. And I’m just fine calling them out.

(And you presuppose the price of the thing people find “worth it” is “inflated” which of course it cannot be if it is, in fact, “worth it”. But that’s semantics)

let’s agree to disagree.

there is no merit in arguing for the sake of argument.

2 Likes

I kind of think this thread should be pinned too. It would be awesome to not have threads derailed by price complaints/defense.

2 Likes

I shall not be participating in your “free speech zone” mister bush, as I feel it devalues its very namesake. Nor shall I show its sponsor any further patronage.

Good day.

Perhaps a new thread should be named “thread about complaining about people’s rights to complain about synth prices”. Clearly we’re all guilty of derailing the topic, I apologize for even commenting and inadvertently encouraging it. Was not my intent. :pray: