Thoughts on the future for the MD?

There was a new FW released late-ish last year that fixes the glaring issues I believe.

1 Like

I say go for it. Its only like a 500$ upgrade if you sell the rytm.
Not like youā€™re gonna lose money reselling the MD if it isnā€™t your thing and wanna go back
(but you probably wonā€™t)

They will have to peel the MD from my cold dead hands. I am still discovering crazy over a decade after I first turned it on. And its been on almost everything I have recorded in that time.

3 Likes

in a fevered lunatic moment, being angry over fucked up midi control, i thought iā€™d swap it for an AR.
not gonna happen.

I wish theyā€™d make a new one. Iā€™d definitely buy it. The old ones are getting hard to come by.

1 Like

This type of thread is obsolete.

10 Likes

:upside_down_face:

4 Likes

6 Likes

my original question was real. maybe not best phrased. what i meant was something i actually mentioned: is it left alone, unsupported, no OS upgrade ever again like Nord Modular?
iā€™m aware nobody can realistically answer this question, but some people have deeper insight here than me.
but i see you wonā€™t get much data from people stating how they love their gear. what about a cat?
cat_small

1 Like

Itā€™s extremely unlikely that there will ever be an official software update for the MD. It has been a discontinued product for a while now. There are also bugs in the Monomachine OS that most of us have given up hope will ever be fixed.

I think you would probably have received different responses if you had used ā€œdiscontinuedā€ and/or ā€œunsupportedā€ rather than ā€œobsoleteā€. :okej:

3 Likes

Sweet!

Here, let me help you :

(Please excuse my tone. I tend to get a bit grumpy when i see new threads asking things that have been discussed many times before and/or are easily found with a search.)

3 Likes

Iā€™d love to see some (all?) of the synthesis machines in a Digitakt form factor and with the modern Elektron sequencer. I loved the sound of my old MD but I use conditional trigs so much in the way I build patterns and rhythms.

Thereā€™s still a part of me that hankers after a non-UW MD again but I know the relative limitations of the sequencer would frustrate me after a while.

Although it arguably doesnā€™t sound quite as good, I have more fun with ARā€¦

yeah, triggered some trigs here. it was a moment of cry out.

1 Like

MD is particularly sacrosanct round these parts. (Edit: justifiably imo)

2 Likes

thanks.
i know it might be confusing to see multiple threads for the same thing if you wanted to find useful info.
so Iā€™m fine to have this thread deleted. @PeterHanes @LyingDalai ?

You can use conditional trigs on the Machinedrum if you have a Megacommand at hand ^^
Anyone whoā€™s begging for updates or improvements to the MD should definitely look into it

Other than that, this year is 20-year anniversary of the MD, who knows what elektron has in itā€™s sleeveā€¦

3 Likes

On the flip side, Iā€™ve never even tried MD before but I still enjoyed reading the thread :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yeah I have taken to controlling the MD from my Octatrack, pairing 2 OT midi channels, one to control the machine trigs the other to control the various machine params I want to P-Lock.

1 Like

I have wanted a Megacommand for a while, but since there dont seem to be any commercially, and the group buys are usually European or full super quick, I just move on. and then every 3 months I reminded I want one again.

obsolescence of music technology is an interesting consideration, at a surface level i canā€™t think of any individual device that can be labelled obsolete.

As long as it powers on and makes/affects a sound, someone somewhere is gonna get some use out of it.

arguably (outside of emulation) this is more relevant for software than hardware.

1 Like