Thoughts on Stage Banter

My mind has drifted to all Zoom meetings, Google meets, and Webex’s I attend, day after day, week after week. Even before COVID.
I realize I pay to go to shows, and I’m paid to sit in these meetings, so it’s not the same… and generally one thing has nothing to do with the other.
But, my point is some people are just better at banter than others. Some artists just seem douchey when they talk too much on stage, and others have a knack for connecting with the crowd between songs.
This is not unlike when some manager on a teleconference interjects something off topic (usually for a laugh). Some people can pull it off, and others not so much.
Oh man now my brain is working…
So think about Robert Plant in the Song Remains the Same live album/movie.
He said very little: “good evening.” “This is a song about hope”, “here’s a song from our new album.”
stuff like that.
Point here is that this was no ordinary show.
It was a well oiled performance. No need to chit chat will band mates get ready for the next song or whatever. Sooo is banter more of a tool to fill prep time or is it subject banter, “save the whales” and what have you? Either way, idgaf as long as the show starts sorta near on time.

2 Likes

Been thinking about this today - it can go both ways.

Bowie was a funny, charismatic bloke from what I saw of him on telly - but his bants at Glastonbury was a bit cringey, kind of broke the spell a bit. I’m thinking maybe the better or more legendary the artist the less you want them to speak - a bit like when you meet a hero and they’re a twat… yknow?

Could be worse, could be Eric Clapton…

6 Likes

i was able to see leonard cohen perform back in '93 maybe. he was the most charming and gracious performer imaginable. he told a few stories about songs and made us all laugh a few times. it would have been a much less warmly remembered occasion without his humble self effacing words between the songs. i even learned a few things.

another very memorable occasion was seeing einstürzende neubauten in '98 maybe (fm einheit was no longer aboard) and an audience member shouted something about fire. blixa dryly replied, “you want fire, go see RAM-STEEN!” laughter as well. i had the occasion a year or so later to share the story backstage with the members of rammstein (very kind and silly boys) and there was some pointed awkward laughter and a response of “scharfe!” very amusing.

you’ve got to have some stage presence to pull it off and oftentimes less is more.

3 Likes

don’t know why but James Taylor’s banter is the only kind I could ever stomach, well that and parliament funkadelic but they turned their banter into music so it’s not quite the same thing

Was that in seattle? I think I was at that same show. I was actually recounting that same anecdote this morning! If not, it must just be his boiler plate response when someone yells for fire.
Edit: the neubauten show, that is.

3 Likes

San Francisco, but yeah I think once Mufti (their resident pyro) left the fold the audience’s lust for chaos became more of a burden than the band wanted. pure speculation, of course.

1 Like

edit: would have loved to see leonard cohen drilling through the stage with a jackhammer though

2 Likes

There’s much worse out there at the moment, but I’m still disappointed I missed my opportunity to see them here (in Seattle) due to Covid.

If you do get the chance in the future I’d recommend it. I don’t know what their show is like these days but the couple of times I saw them they were fantastic. Seattle loves them too so it makes for a good crowd.

1 Like

These days I try to listen to the music, get stuck in the area near the bathrooms in SoDo because nobody seems to get booked at Showbox Market… yeah I wish there was better funding for arts venues :stuck_out_tongue: