Thoughts on repairing this OT? (SOLVED)

Thoughts on this listing? What does the hive mind think the issue could be?

Elektron Octatrack DPS-1 2010s - Black https://reverb.com/item/66529465

If it’s just encoders, I may be able to do that, but what else could it be?

ask him about it on here, isnt this the guy who posted a thread about this recently? or just a coincidence. see if the video is the same

I could be wrong?
MK1 Encoder behavior - Elektron Gear / Octatrack - Elektronauts

I’ll watch the videos

Edit - yep same dude, talk to him about it. he seemed chill. must have decided to get rid of it for a reason

at the very least you can identify each other on here and save yourself tax and he can save the 5% seller fee and you can both get a better deal

but whatever you do, if you want it, do it fast. people are ruthless. someone will snatch it from under your nose. not even necessarily someone from here.

but not necessarily NOT someone from here.

1 Like

guys states that all encoders act strange. unlikely all of them went bad…
hard to tell. the worst case scenario is that IC reading encoders has failed (unlikely, unless the unit was damaged by a liquid spill).
honestly speaking i would start with replacing the coin battery, check ribbon connectors, than run OT in test mode and after that reinstall OS .

but the above is just a wild guess…

2 Likes

That “encoder issue” just sounds like worn out or super dirty encoders.

That description describes the exact behavior I had on my MM. they just wear out. I actually opened one up and cleaned the contacts, put it back together. Werked perfect. But it was wobbly. In the end I had 3 replaced properly. And it’s perfect again.

I had a shop do it, cuz I’m a clod with an iron. But if you got skills it seems pretty easy to do.

adding: @Microtribe is right tho. With wonky encoders, the price should prob be a bit better.

2 Likes

No. For that price you can get one that works.

Worse case scenario you have to replace the UI board (ive done it) which isnt a huge expenense, but it all adds up.

Never buy someone elses fuck up (eg, the encoders are probably shot because its had beer spilled on it)

2 Likes

i just have realised i did photos of OT internals

1 Like

It is, in fact, me.

It does not smell like beer was spilled on it and I did nothing that would have damaged them (it’s been sitting on my desk the whole time). I bought it used and can’t say with 100% confidence that nothing happened to it, but it does come across as worn encoders to me. Nothing about its appearance tells me that it encountered any misfortune.

That said, I simply don’t have the time or initiative to look into it further, so I figured I’d drop it at a loss and move on. Nothing sinister, nothing to hide.

You might be right about the price. There are a few watchers, so I’ll see how it goes for a few days. I’m not offended by anyone skipping on it for whatever reason (price, caution, etc.), but I figured I’d come in and say that I’m really not trying to fool anyone here - quite the opposite. I’d much rather someone move on if they feel it’s risky than sell it quickly to someone who’s going to be disappointed.

11 Likes

Dope! Thanks for the info! I think I’m gonna pass on it for now. I, too, don’t really have the time or energy to troubleshoot that bad boy. Good luck!

2 Likes

You could email Elektron support with the video and they could likely provide some guidance and estimates for repair if you want to go that route. I had a few encoders replaced by them for my A4 a couple years ago and it was an easy process.