Thoughts of Syntakt future possibilities

But a lot of people bought a Digitakt because they want a Digitakt, not some all-in-one frankenbox.

I bought a Syntakt because I want a Syntakt. I don’t want to pay extra/put up with extra UI bullshit for things I don’t want to use.

Which is why, for every MPC lover, there’s an equal and opposite MPC not lover so mucher.

10 Likes

The Elektron universe is an ever increasing number of boxes. Its not quite ready to implode yet.

1 Like

Yeah silly me, analog stuff, it didn’t sink in when considering the hardware side. Nice!
Thanks for enlightening me.

Seems like a sick little puppy, can’t wait to hear more audio demo’s, great!

cheers!

1 Like

I used an MPC Live for quite some time as a live performance tool, and at the time, thought that I wanted its “everything and the kitchen sink” capabilities.

But once I got my hands on a couple of Elektrons and got into the focused sequencing and sound creation workflows, going back to all that MPC menu diving started making me nauseous, so I sold it with no regrets.

Also, the MPC was starting to make me lazy. For me, its surface workflows kept guiding me to lots of offline prep just to do live “DJing with clips”. My Elektrons feel more like instruments to me and seem to encourage more in-the-moment performance, at least in my case.

If I want to DJ, I pull out my Denon. If I want to perform electronic music, I bring out the Elektrons.

2 Likes

What are you referring to here?

They should add sampling to the Syntakt.

8 Likes

This is a huge thing that I think a lot of people really don’t understand.

9 Likes

Doesn’t matter, in a month someone else will say they heard this, and by October there’ll be a full-court frenzy

1 Like

I frankly see little point in the Digitakt, and can’t believe it’s sold so well but it just goes to show I shouldn’t be designing and manufacturing hardware for the public.

It’s an ultra-limited sampler with only minor sound shaping/fx possibilities.

To me the elektron sequencer shines for synthesis… the Rytm and DT and Syntakt kind of bring out the strengths.

3 Likes

You’re entitled to your opinion but this is just factually incorrect.

3 Likes

I think I see what you mean, but I don’t really agree. What you’re paying for with hardware is the workflow, and you can achieve some really interesting stuff with the DT when it comes to samples. And the key for me was that you could achieve it really fast. The kind of stuff you can do with the sequencer’s p-locks and the LFOs are things that I wouldn’t even think was possible before I encountered Elektron. Now I know that it’s of course mostly possible in the DAW, but not quite, and not nearly as fast. Same with my MPC, it’s not as fast and the “p-locks” there work differently (they’re actually just quantized automation lanes, unlike Elektron that does it per step). I’ve learned that I can work around that limitation in the MPC by simply copying a pad to another one and doing all the tweaking I want on the copy, but there was something about the Digitakt workflow that was undeniably faster and more immediate. That’s partially what you’re paying for when you buy an Elektron.

The “minor” sound shaping possibilities include:

• Bit crusher
  • Overdrive
  • Pitch
  • Fwd/Rev/Loop settings - per sequencer step
  • Different sample start/loop ponts - per sequencer step
  • 2 LFOs
  • A really nice reverb send
  • A really nice delay send

I’m sure I’m missing a lot. But the point is that all of this is available at your fingertips, making it extremely fast to work with.

If you look at the spec sheet only, the Digitone appears to be grossly overpriced compared to, say, an MPC One. There’s no doubt. But that misses half of the story.

2 Likes

haha, could be anything really, just teasing.

But marketing ‘round Xmas is to be expected: some nice Elektron stocking-fillers! Maybe an update to keep people engaged and at the same time remind them on how to spend their pocket money and not blow it on Xmas trinkets, bitcoins or NFTs. :sweat_smile:

Pocket plockerators!

1 Like

I really see ST being in the future the NO Brainer to start with Eletron boxes, as it has some features from every boxes :

• digital ( like MC, not quite like DN)) and analog machines (like AR; not quite A4),
  • ext in audio mangler ( some features from OT or AH)
  • midi controller
  • performance features
  • audio interface ( I actually route the OT to ST and not the opposite just because of that)

SO to me it’s a great machine on it’s own, but it’s also great if you want to expand with other elektron machines.
and thinking about that " final goal" here are my thoughts :

• the main thing missing to Syntakt is a sample player engine, I get the thing with DT beeing outdated with that feature and I get that 2 units give more control and clarity than 1 but still, It would be great for some 1 machine jam… and the sample page in DT is just 1 page like evey ST machine. I’m pretty sure they put a hardware ( memory?) limitation on that and that’s a shame

Number 2 thing missing is the ability to use the 4 performance tracks for already playing sequences. performance are live feature, most of live are played with already programmed sequences

Number 3 is the ankward way of using 2 mono sources compared to DT / DN. I love double mono especially with the panning / delay / reverb that make them stereo at the end

What I would like to see in future updates ( except these 3 things)

1 Arpegiator especially for midi tracks, and midi effects would be a great bonus, for ex replace delay with note repeat ( midi delay)
2. better use of the FX amp page, currently there is only 1 drive knob , come on there are 7 extra knobs that could run EQ / other effects / wavefolder /bit reduction/ pitch shift / compression etc
3. better sound pool management, where you can only see the available sounds ( If you pick an analog machine you see all the digi that don’t work and vice versa. that sucks.
4 ( this is valid for all elektron boxes) better use of midi ccs in midi tracks, there should be a way to prevent for changing midi ccs number by mistake. A sound pool for midi tracks where you can store your favourite midi ccs for the machines you want to control ( a bit like squarp pyramid def files) would be great
5. Tuner on ext in ( valid for all elextron boxes too )
6. more digital machines, with some very experimental ones like Noise engineering style or mutable instrument style
7 a west coast inspired analog dual oscillator

3 Likes

I’m not sure if I’m following you correctly, but you can indeed use the modifiers if that’s what you mean by 4 performance tracks for tracks that are already playing sequences?

In this video I did, I’m triggering some drum thing with the sequencer running. Just pick a track and it’ll trigger that track, or maybe you mean trigger any of the notes in the track sequencer and choose which one to do? That could be cool.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CdzLGCDgpUe/

Thanks for that Yes I mean the modifier sorry , and I was meaning affecting sequences like ratcheting, change velocity, filtering etc on existing sequences without creating new triggers

4 Likes

“Smart”? More like greedy giving you subpar machine. Look on SP units and their storage, price and date produced.

I kind of agree that it’s a no-brainer first Elektron, but the price is steep compared to the other Digis. I can see that being a pretty firm barrier for a lot of people. The price, I think, still makes the DT in particular a better choice for a lot of people, especially if they just want an Elektron percussion box and don’t care so much about samples vs synthesis.

Smart in a business sense.

It goes without saying it’s greedy and forces consumers to buy more gear / boxes / a digitakt, octatrack, digitone, syntakt AND a rytm, rather than a single magic box that does everything and was $4000

1 Like

Yeah the guy from alternate universe pov is kind of right. I am thinking about Syntakt. Is it even good? Will they add more machines to it? Is it plagued with bugs or hardware issues? That I don’t know.

Smart in a business sense sure. Not all of these moves bring more value both to the company + it’s users. Actually it’s a bad strategy. Very bad.