Thomann sold me a used up DK as B-Stock - is this considered fraud?

No, this is a point that I was going to raise with them before they abruptly ended the chat because I was pressing them for answers, I was going to ask if I sent this back would they seriously sell this as B-Stock like they did to me with no warning it is heavily used?

This depends on their honesty now and how they will proceed with the situation.

Lol, guess I saved you the trouble :slight_smile:

I think it doesn’t take a lot of detective work to imagine who the retailer is, not many can be considered really big and have a very good reputation with customer service

Not quite. It’s been largely unavailable for almost 2 years. I purchased mine (new) in February 2022, a friend got his (also new) in November 2022. I think most of the remaining stock fizzled out in early 2023.

Sorry to hear about your experience.

1 Like

Well, that’s the point… I’m presuming Bax or Thomann.

1 Like

Thank you for highlighting this to me so I don’t keep wrongfully beating a dead horse with their customer service.

Yes it seems like a PITA, so I know that I have to potentially eat a loss if I send it back.

Oh, Bax is still considered part of Europe? Wink wink

And I have requested for a proper written acknowledgement and explanation of this situation, so if it does go back I want them to tell me what they are going to do with it.

I have to be honest, they are big, they have been on the market since the 60s but I rarely buy from them

I also think that some of the b-stock are customer traded items like most probably this digitone key was

1 Like

It would be crazy if this is true that an established company can sell trade-ins as B-Stock and don’t mention that on their B-Stock description.

That is why I want to know if anyone else has experienced this or am I just the lucky/unlucky one?

I really hope this is a one-off crazy situation, like a stock guy was having a bad day and just uploaded the wrong details etc, because this store has given me excellent service over the years.

I don’t know if customer service are giving me the run around because they are dealing with lots of returns everyday, but I do hope they will offer a proper explanation instead of just pushing me to take their return or discount solution without addressing or acknowledging anything.

This is my logic and assumption

B-stock are usually items returned by a customer within their 30-Day Money-Back Guarantee or replaced under guarantee and can no longer be sold as “A-Stock”** .

This would mean that someone has bought that digitone key as new, tried it did not like it and returned it within 30 days

But digitone key has been out of stock since almost 2 years now - so how ks that possible?

Or the customer has used that digitone so much in 30 days that it turned the item in that status but that would not be compliance with the 30 days money back

Or the customer has returned it within 30 days but the item has been left in the retailer warehouse after inspection for long time and has been not protected etc.

Or a customer has traded it as a second hand with something else and the retailer has sold it as a b-stock

1 Like

Have you checked it there are sign of use?

User preset created, firmware updated etc?

There are extreme signs of heavy usage that goes beyond what can happen within 30 days.

It has obviously been used heavily over what must be a very lengthy period of time unless somebody was touring outdoor music festivals and absolutely going crazy on it for 30 days.

I’m just waiting on if they will provide an explanation, mistakes happen but the follow up is what counts.

Things happen which should not happen.

In relation to the number of items which are processed on a daily basis through the Big Players on the market, you where unlucky.

I once ordered a brand new MPC One from Thomann, which was used, and when I write “used”, I mean “used”. But returning it in Germany was no big deal. But from my experiance, this was an exception.

1 Like

I can definitely relate to this statement 100%, this thing I received was put out to work lol!

May I ask if they told you how it got so used or you just returned it?

Normally I don’t buy expensive things online internationally from anywhere else, as I have full trust in this company …

I’ve never ordered from them, specifically because when i wanted to, i looked them up, and the rep was a bit ”meh” about products reportedly in stock and not showing up

To their defense I’ve ordered many things from them and they always arrived in perfect condition.
Last thing I ordered was a b-stock mpc one.
Few fingerprints on the machine, protector still on its display.
Considering ordering the sp404 from them for my backpack atm.
A plus is they have a store near me so if I ever need to make use of warranty I can simply hop on my bike. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

Just to put it out there, the store isn’t Bax.

There is a silver lining in all this though, because no matter the outcome I will never buy expensive gear shipped internationally again. So even if I take a loss on this, in the long term I guess I might be taking a win? :joy:

My advice FWIW -

• Name and shame the store. This will give you some leverage with them (maybe) and will also help others here. After all that’s what this forum’s all about.

• They have breached their contract with you. They told you the item was B Stock whereas it’s clearly actually F&#*ed Stock. They owe you a full refund and any loses you’ve incurred as a result of their botched order, ie import duties etc. I don’t see how they can debate this.

• Stop dealing with customer service reps if you’re going in circles with them. Write a formal letter addressed to their CEO and send via email and post explaining everything and asking for the above. Be polite, but firm. Tell them that if you do not receive a satisfactory outcome you will be taking legal advice. You could also mention your post on this forum, etc.

• I don’t think you’ve said where you’re based or where the store is based. This might impact the above.

Just some quick thoughts from me. Hope that helps.

4 Likes

Thanks so much for your advice and support. I have waited more than 36 hours for an update to my last email that requested a formal explanation of what I received actually is, and how this managed to happen.

Yesterday I tried asking the reps in their online chat about the situation and they said the person dealing with it will email me within 24-48 hours. Their customer service is usually super fast and efficient and usually gets things done within hours if not minutes, so that is a bit of a concern.

On top of that the reps in the chat yesterday still repeatedly say they aren’t able to share information regarding where the unit came from and explain why it is considered B-Stock.

So up until this point, they have NOT acknowledged that the Digitone Keys they sent me is actually old and used, but they know they sent me something f@$ked as they offered a 200 Euro compensation which I denied because for the condition and age is not worth it.

I wont “shame” them yet if there is a good explanation for this and they are honest about the whole situation.

The optimistic side of me is hoping they are using the time to conduct an internal investigation on this and will come clean about it, but the other side of me is concerned they are just trying to use delay tactics to backtrack and find “loopholes” to use as excuses.

I think regardless of outcome I will eventually name the company for those who haven’t clocked on to who it is yet, but whether it will be a “name and shame” or show of appreciation in handling a very bad situation is up to them.

1 Like

Did you buy on a credit card? If you did might be worth exploring what your chargeback options are.

Not sure if they would include extra cover for additional damages like import charges. I suspect they might. You have enough evidence to substantiate your claim.

Let the card vendor do the work. They will be more successful than you as an individual.

2 Likes

As somebody else already said, I don’t think you’ll get the import and duty charges back from the retailer. But if you return the item for a refund, you should also be able to get a refund on the duty charges. You would get that refunded from the government though, and might take longer.

2 Likes