This was fun! But I thinks it's time for a close. Mods, please delete

The same as any retail store honestly; regular sales promotions, store card promos, monthly coupons emailed out, etc

Not really sure what you mean by breakdown between online and retail sales.

Thatā€™s what I hoped would come out of this job, personally. I would absolutely LOVE to work for Novation, for example. But sadly with my store those opportunities were very few and far between. I met a lot of great reps from JBL, Arturia, and Pioneer but these never led to any other industry work. Absolutely awesome dudes though. At this point Iā€™m probably gonna lean away from the retail side of things. After a hard Dayā€™s work at GC it was hard to come home and focus on music.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve had clearly used items (Volcas) sold to me as new at two different locations. The were scuffed and missing batteries and manuals. Both were the last one in stock. Iā€™m glad to hear this isnā€™t company policy

Discounts are the same for all associates, managers or not. Unfortunately, I canā€™t say what the discount was, but itā€™s great if you need small things like cables and accessories.

Oh of course lol. Iā€™ve been yelled at, been called terrible names, and even assaulted at my store. My worst one was a customer grabbing me by the shirt collar because I wouldnā€™t give him a discount on an item that was already on sale ( anything thatā€™s used, on sale, or clearance is exempt from any discounts or coupons) and didnā€™t back off till I threatened to call the cops.

1 Like

Yeah thatā€™s definitely not company policy, thatā€™s just lazy associates not doing their job all the way through.

1 Like

Thatā€™s godā€™s work right there. Bless you and your future hustle.

2 Likes

Thank you :pray: I always tried my best to get people ready to go. I remember being in that spot when I started and wanted to help out when I could.

4 Likes

I feel for ya, I used to work in the pro audio department in like 2003 or so, did they ever end up creating a more tech support focused position as I heard rumors too back then? Basically this is why I had to leave, I ended up giving more support to customers for my coworkers (to prevent returns) and to customers with gear questions and my sales numbers lagged because of the amount of time I spent with this emergent duty.

Itā€™s a good thing parents arenā€™t buying their kids Octatracks, amirite?

6 Likes

That unfortunately never really happened. Basically each of us had a certain specialty and whomever was most qualified would hadle it. I was the only associate at my store who regularly used Maschine, Ableton, and any drum machines/synths so I handled all those IT questions. I also handled a lot of the DJ equipment only because none of us really used it, but I picked up on how they worked pretty easily.

Yeah thank God lmao. We had a used OT come in in great condition at some point and I would occasionally noodle with it during my breaks, but Iā€™d never be able to explain how to operate it to someone.

2 Likes

50% retail and 50% online ? or whatā€™s the percentage
I am just wondering if an online only store makes sense at this day and age (maybe without guitars and pianos etc.)

Oh okay I see now. In the grand scheme of things Online probably had the most sales, but my store online only made a small portion.

The benefit of Online only stores is the lack of overhead costs. Look at Zzounds, theyā€™re an online retailer and their only overhead cost is their warehouses and customer support. And since they donā€™t have physical locations, theft is a non issue. Theft is a constant issue with retail stores in general.

2 Likes

Do you know who is the biggest player(s) in this business ? is it guitar center ? sweetwater ?

That Iā€™m not really sure. Thatā€™s definitely way more on the corporate side of things. If I had to guess I would say GC is probably still the most popular because I think we have more locations than the other stores. Donā€™t quote me on that though.

1 Like

What did you have in your Lunch break?

Like food wise or how long our breaks were?

i worked for a small chain in the northeast almost a decade ago. here in syracuse, metal is the thing all the kids are doing so we sold mostly guitars. this is a funny video i made during my time there sort of mocking customer interactions. as outrageous as it might sound, ive actually heard most of these things from real human mouths https://youtu.be/Xqc42nVT2VA

7 Likes

That was great lol. Gave you a sub, bud. :+1:

1 Like