This Mother 32 sound on AK/A4?

Well, to me the M32 is one BIG sweet spot. Sure,it’s just one Osc but it’s a really nice one.

With the M32 I crank out a sick chunky techno fm bass line within 2 minutes. On the A4 it’s a far more fiddly journey as you really have to dial in a lot.

I like synths which instantly sounds good without minutes of tweaking.

The A4 isn’t a bad synth at all and I might keep it for sequencer and CV capabilities as I’ll try some eurorack soon. But soundwise M32’s one Osc is pissing all over A4.

RYTM is bad ass and will never leave my studio but I wouldn’t miss the A4.

1 Like

[quote=“Squadron, post:21, topic:26940”]With the M32 I crank out a sick chunky techno fm bass line within 2 minutes. On the A4 it’s a far more fiddly journey as you really have to dial in a lot.
I like synths which instantly sounds good without minutes of tweaking.
[/quote]
So you mean the A4 is not enough intuitive or you think oscs and filters are worse ? (Or both)

1 Like

The A4 is intuitive to me. I didn’t had to read the manual that much because I watched a lot of tutorials.

I don’t know, compared to the moog the A4 sounds thin/weak. The filters are good but I’m not to keen on the filters overdrive.

1 Like

I’m the opposite.
My time with the M32 was uneventful.
I felt it was too large of a sound and couldn’t make room for anything else in the track.

The A4, on the other hand, I can use to pepper an entire tune with 60-70% of its sounds.

A “fiddly journey”, only in the first few months of ownership. And even then, very much worth it. As those basslines end up with lots more interesting modulations. An LFO controlling the frequency of a peaking filter, an envelope that modifies OSC sync amount. % Conditional parameter locks that change the waveform/octave of the SUB OSC, or the pulse width.
After those first few months, the muscle memory is developed, as is the confidence that you can dial in any sound imaginable.
Will it be big and obnoxious like a Moog bass or lead?
No, but it will be capable of far more nuances thanks to the wealth of modulation destinations.
Unison does help for a bigger sound, when you can spare the voices, though.

3 Likes

Like I said, A4 is a dope synth but I have work fast and nail down the idea for a track as quick as possible. No time for fiddling.

Modulations are not my problem with M32 as I tweak them live and record them. Most of the time I get more interesting results than programmed modulations.

2 Likes

Have you tried A4 with a saturation?

1 Like

Fuzz even !!

… or :heat:

1 Like

I have tried with saturation and various distortion units which gave me nice results.

Though I think a 1000k synth shouldn’t need external gear to beef it up.

Have you tried using the peaking filter to bring up the low end, and then using the ladder filter for main filtration?

It’s what I like to call BEEF MODE. :loopy:

also “1000k” is a million :wink:

3 Likes

I have tried it all. I’m an experienced producer and I program synths for quite a while now.

I didn’t say you can’t get good results out of the A4 but they’re no way instant results.

And I mean 1k of course. :wink:

and add a FDB oscillator and you will blow up speakers :slight_smile:

1 Like

I make classic techno, not shitty industrial. No need for blown speakers. :wink:

so beefy!

1 Like

Well, I’m fine. Whenever I need some good bass the M32 is my friend. I’ve found what I was looking for.

Obviously, if you are fine then you are fine. :slight_smile:

Anyone using Mother32 + A4 together? Seems to me they could be best friends forever given a chance.

A4 makes a wonderful sequencer for it.

Using a single CV Envelope into M32’s VCA CV input gets you a whole lot of parameter locks (attack, decay, sustain, release, envelope depth, gate length) on a single CV.
Very handy, considering M32 has a single envelope. So you can dedicate that to the filter.

Another CV for p-locking filter freq, or resonance, or mix CV. Add in some conditional trigs and trigless locks.

Sending M32’s output into A4’s input for p-locked pans and FX sends adds even more life to the sound.

6 Likes

That’s interesting. I tried to sequence the M32 by the A4 without good results. In fact, I used Mother’s VCA CV input but I always got a clicking noise as if the envelopes are getting cut.

Also the A4’s CV envelopes (CV tracks amp page right?) aren’t responding at all.

Would you mind to elaborate how you sequence the Mother from A4 to a CV noob like me? That’d be awesome.

If I could get this to work the A4 might be a keeper.

They’ve been fine in the past for me … are you targeting Value Lin with them ?

If you want to sequence the CVA input of a synth then it will click if you supply a gate signal, if you want to remove the clicks just supply the Value Lin Output controlled entirely by an A4 envelope … simple

Set CV outlet to Value Lin
Make sure your CV channel is set up to send 0 - 5v to start with
Set Value Lin to 0
Set CV Env destination to Value Lin
Adjust Env to taste

6 Likes

Thanks. Will try that.

1 Like

Mother 32 is very good synth it sound musical ,soft,but its not sub phaty,and no way better than A4! Werkstatt is a small but ok is just for tastes moog sounds and not a really moog synth.