This interview with The Field

incredible album, Everyday and The Little Heart Beats So Fast are absolute bops

1 Like
3 Likes

From Here We Go Sublime is one of my favourites. Sampling genius.

I love his latest remix (which may have something to do with the fact that it is massively reminiscent of the Sublime abum.)

1 Like

Anybody had any luck creating The Field style loops using samples?

To me the special thing about his music is the selection of samples and the mood he creates. The short sample bits loop technique wasnā€™t something i havenā€™t heard before. The track A Paw in My Face contains 5 short sample cuts. You just have to take your time and find the ones that sound good in a loop.

4 Likes

This is an amazing set.

1 Like

Iā€™m glad you liked it- actually, your enthusiasm for it inspired me to listen to it in full while driving today for the first time, and I agree although, Everyday which is one of my very favorite tracks lost a bit of its power in that recording (to me). Sounded kinda flat in comparison to the rest of the set.

Does anyone know if that piece with the chanty vocal sample that comes around the 25min mark is from something on one of his albums which I might have missed? Really enjoyed that.

From my the various interviews Iā€™ve read with The Field, I think some of the mojo he has from picking the samples that he does has to do with the personal meaning that many of them seem to hold for him. He doesnā€™t strike me as someone plopping in things from some online sample library to get something that works but someone who works with things which resonate deeply within himself.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve been inspired to try something similar myself - sample songs I love to see if I can catch a vibe. The vocal chops on opener no, no are just sublime. So much atmosphere and mood.

Edit - I think youā€™re right about everyday. It might just be a case of mixing - I think the trancey/hypnotic lead needs a bit more volume to bring it to the fore. But what do I know.

1 Like

Iā€™ve tried messing with it on hardware but not tried in in SW. I believe he uses a tracker, although he is a big Elektron user. As @Dr.K says itā€™s all about the loops and these micro samples. I find the drums are fairly simple to draw influence from from as they are super super minimal. The other thing is reversing vocals which is one of those simple techniques that is almost too simple to be true but it can make a big difference.

As an aside and to carry on this Field-fest, hereā€™s 2 tracks that I happen to love but that also have The Field footprint all over them. In the case of Tourist, he talks about The Field quite a lot in interviews so I know for sure itā€™s a direct influence (if you couldnā€™t tell already by listening!)

I guess why I like these is because they show how taking influence from him can lead you to some different places that are your own too.

2 Likes
1 Like

Well, not sure if itā€™s still the case but in that interview he said that he composes exclusively on Buzz which is a tracker, no?

Thanks for the above link- not sure why I never listened to that album.

Yup. I have so many questions. :joy:

1 Like

Thatā€™s an old interview, Cupidā€™s Head was done on an Octatrack. Not sure what heā€™s using now.

1 Like

What program is that? Iā€™ve got the signal chains figured out, but Iā€™m unfamiliar with this DAW(?). Is their an internal sequencer and this is just the chaining page?

Nevermind, looked beyond the surface and saw the products name. Haha.
This is definitely the DAW for Excel experts.

Looks like buzz: Jeskola Buzz - Wikipedia

First saw it in that old James Holden interview:

3 Likes

Thank you for the video link. Will be nice to see it in action. Seems pretty powerful once you get your head around it.

1 Like

I wonder if we could create some kind of database outlining the samples that The Field uses? I always enjoy trying to reverse engineer sample flipping as an educational tool and it seems whosampled has some kind of firewall on naming The Fieldā€™s samplesā€¦

1 Like
3 Likes

Had a bit of a dig through files and this snippet of a track was the closest Iā€™ve gotten to Field type tunes, specifically at 0:33. I should note this is a demo captured out of a Circuit Rhythm and run through an Ableton mixing chain, so itā€™s got some basic levels done on it at best. Did I capture the vibe-ish-ish?

6 Likes