This interview with The Field

This is an interesting interview with The Field. Seems like yet another musician who makes brilliant music with self imposed limitations on what he works with and how he makes his tracks. Reminds me of Burial in a way who only uses Soundforge.

13 Likes

Nice. He Ableton blog just posted about S8JFOU, who made an album with only Operator and Echo.

7 Likes

Love how he describes himself as the opposite of someone who doesn’t finish tracks. Been using the same tracker since the 90s and mixes live in a couple of takes, keeping the one with the least mistakes :laughing:. That explains a lot actually… I’ve included his tracks on various DJ mixes and more than once hunted for another copy because a section was suddenly too loud or something and I thought there was something wrong with it. Have to admire his output though… So many top tunes :green_heart:

1 Like

Life is full of mistakes and some of them turn out to be the most beautiful aspects of being alive.

7 Likes

True true true

Although some of them just turn out to be bad EQing :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

9 Likes

Some also go the other direction, but I struggle with that too. It can be hard to remind oneself that those expectations are (often) self-imposed through comparison to others.

As for little mistakes, I love them. A little touch of humanity.

5 Likes

He’s a good example of how the tools you use and even technique (to an extent) are totally secondary if the ideas are good enough and you get shit done

2 Likes

Yes, it’s like watching Wallace and Gromit and catching a thumbprint…

4 Likes

The Field is amazing. Love this music. :heart:

3 Likes

Great artist. I used to buy CDR:s with his old projects, like Lars Blek, some 20 years ago.

And this is still a great pop song.

3 Likes

From Here We Go Sublime is sublime.

4 Likes

Nice! I was wondering if the other projects were were out there. The Field has always been one of my favorite artists but I never sought it out.

1 Like

had some great tracks in the 2012 -15 have not heard since. Thanks for the heads up.

Cordouan was my favorite back then, but I haven’t heard it for about 20 years.

1 Like

A pretty consistent fave for sure.
Most played are From Here We Go Sublime and particularly love Looping State Of Mind too.

Love the field! Had no idea he had a new album out…

1 Like

Interview is from 2007 :-/ was excited myself

2 Likes

It’s been four years! Hopefully we’ll get another one soon enough.

Dang!

Well, here is a more recent interview. He speaks briefly about getting into modular on his last album. Nothing wrong with the interview but found hearing about his “process” when he was still sort or early in his career to be more insightful but that’s likely true about most people. I have watched recent Wolfgang Voight interviews and he’s so pompous it’s rather off putting. Not saying Axel suffers from that. Probably helps that he’s Swedish and not German.

One track I must say which some EQing snafu almost ruins it for me is that high pitched whizzy blonk on The Deal towards the middle but still what a beautiful track. Although a cheesy term he very much is an EMD artist to me as I get such an emotional response to so many of his tracks.

2 Likes