Thinking of Switching to a Mac

All my computers are Windows machines except for my music production computer which is an M1 Pro Macbook Pro. The mac is so much better for music production, you are going to be very happy. Whenever I want to do even the simplest music production stuff at home on my PC it turns into an hour and a half of fighting nonsense until I just give up and decide to wait until I am back in the studio lol.

1 Like

Went for a 16/512 Air :slight_smile:

I had my last Air 11 years, it was an 8gb, 128, so I guess I want this one to hold u for the next 10. Since it’s now more capable, I’ll have Adobe on there, Live with a bunch of packs, and will be able to load up more tunes and apps and thing with some room to spare.

Was close to going a base, but I suspect I might hit a HD limit after everything was installed, and I know how hungry Adobe is these days, so went the 16.

Woop!

4 Likes

Well, I got the M2 Air. I’m only setting it up, but, jeepers. I definitely underestimated this thing - it’s phenomenal. It puts my MacBook Pro to shame. No heat. No noise. Everything flies. I just opened up Ableton and a few instances of Wavetable and the CPU meter just says… 0%… Hilarious.

I’m feeling like I should have had more guts and gone all in on the 1TB. Will see if I can push it a bit with some heavy visuals stuff over the next week or so and do some comparisons. It definitely seems up to the task of being my only machine… the only bummers is two ports, feels a bit cramped. But there could be ways around that.

3 Likes

I’ve got an M2 pro coming in tomorrow and am beyond keen. I’ve restructured my whole studio around it over this past week.

2 Likes

A bit of thread hijack, I’m planning on moving to mac mini too, but there is one thing, i need a lot of storage 5-10TB, is there some sort of elegant solution for external storage? Would be cool something like mac mini shaped box with just ssd’s inside that you connect with usb c cable and forget about it.

The great thing is that these days MBP Mx are also totally silent and remain cool.

I think the key point to watch for on MB Air Mx when using it for music, provided you want it to remain future proof, is RAM: get the 16 GB if you can, even if it will impact the energy consumption. The SSD upgrade may be useful but is not as crucial because you could upgrade it externally.

Nice! It’s crazy good.

I have aThunderbolt interface and the Studio Display, so that kills my two ports, I’m actually thinking of one of those cal digit docks to juice things up a bit.

2 Likes

Brilliant stuff!

I do wish I could use my 2019 iMac as a display for the MacBook but last I checked this isn’t possible.
I lent out a bunch of gear when I went full hardware for 5 months so it may he time to call back the uad Apollo and Push 2.

I’m excited to see how well the mrcc midi hub works for a hybrid setup.

1 Like

I should be apologising for the thread hijack, you’re getting it back on topic :laughing:

There is actually a base you can get for the mini, that has one SSD slot right underneath. Although I dunno if it supports 8 tb? Depends what drive u put in it I suppose.

Or maybe just some kind of Synology NAS setup or something?

This is the dock : Stand & Hub for Mac Mini with SSD Enclosure

1 Like

New Mac Studio + new Studio Display is a killer combo as a DAW computer.
Just killer!
Do it!
And never look back.

Well, I dunno but, this is Air is mental. I opened some old heavy visuals projects - that once needed an iMac, then a TouchBar MBP could manage, and well, now all I need is an Air. Should’ve got the 1TB, I might swap it, coz now I think this will be my only computer for a while. Honestly the only reason I’d want the pro is a few ports, but for me that’s no reason for extra heft, rekn I’ll just grab a dock at some point. Well stoked! And I don’t think the base chips suffer from any of the Pro/Max Ableton issues. Highly recommend! Crazy how far stuff has come.

4 Likes

Can confirm my base M2 Air is great. I use it for creating anywhere, and once I have a sketch arrangement done, I consolidate the project and ship it to a beefier computer for the heavier mixing plugins.

A four hour session and it is at 72% battery.

1 Like

When that M2 Pro Mac Mini lands on the refurb store that’s gonna be the steal of the century. See it beating out the M1 Max and Ultra on some tests. Looks like a killer little After Effects machine. Crazy stuff

1 Like

Switched from an old Dell to a M1 mini when they came out, from Reaper to Logic. I’ve never made such a good choice.

Mine should be here in early next week :slight_smile:

It’s great, just don’t get the base version as you would need more than 8gb of ram and the base SSD is slower from what I heard.

I’ve recently switched from an older macbook (2014) to a m1pro 10 core macbook pro 16gb/1tb. However I’ve been experimenting with a work windows laptop: Lenovo I7 12 core 11th v, 32 gb ram, 1tb ssd, thunderbolt 3, nvidia 3060 and the new macbook is much better for DAW/audio things.

I have a Presonus Quantum 2626 and couldn’t go under 128 sample rate on windows due to Nvidia drivers from what I’ve heard on forums. On m1pro I use 32 samplerate with latency under 1ms. Midi over usb seems to work better on Mac.

Now as other guys said in this thread you should make an inventory of what you use and see if they have native support for Apple M line.
Also check drivers for your audio/midi interface.

3 Likes

out of curiosity, what is the price of the lenovo machine?
and do you know maybe the power rating? with the nvidia it should be around 100w but maybe you have accurate number

I have no problems so far with the base model. People should take their own requirements into account, of course. IIRC, this guy did an awful lot with a base M2 Air.

From what I remember it was ~1900 euro one year ago when they got me one. About the power rating, I’m not at home this weekend but I will let you know.

1 Like

To me getting extra ram mostly has to do with making sure it runs as smoothly in the future. It might run perfect now but 8gb RAM is also the first bottleneck to cause problems in the future.

And maybe in a few years you want to start editing some videos…

2 Likes