Things everyone else already knows about

Interesting tests that help you hear frequency ranges better.

5 Likes

“slightly” bad midi cables are a real thing - I’d always assumed that due to the digital nature of midi a bad cable would be obvious - either they work or they don’t. Today I had a module that kept getting hung notes. I swapped the cable and the problem went away. Not sure how or why.

10 Likes

Not only that, after Sequential went bankrupt for the first time, Dave worked for Yamaha and designed the synth engine of the AN1x!

5 Likes

And then he turns around and links up with Roland, making it not just a weird Santa Cruz thing, but a global standard.

5 Likes

another free plugin synth I was not aware of :

If you want your house and techno tracks to sound like a record, chop up other records/samples

Don’t use one-shots

8 Likes

I’m going in:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/979132858/pocket-operator-midi-adapter-v2?ref=shop_home_active_1&crt=1

little bits of micro noise in the samples really are magic.

2 Likes

Going direct into a DAW via a patchbay and use the mixer just for monitoring before recording. Simple enough idea but took 30+ years to actually try it.

2 Likes

The sends?

Panning is not just the difference of gain between the ears or difference in the time domain.

To really emulate stereo mics or how our ears perceive stereo, frequency domain differences also help like the AH Frequency Pan.

A tad more reverb on the less emphasized side also helps.

7 Likes

Yes. Low frequencies dead centre, high frequencies pan out, for the ‘wide’ mix you always wanted… no effects or plugins needed :wink:

8 Likes

Global settings in the A4 are not really “global” but project scoped. Took me 2h to figure out that this is not a bug but a feature(?) I know it is written in the manual, but I must have skipped that part.

1 Like

You even have 4 slots to save them!
I like it, it’s cool to have a “jamming at friends” config, another one for the updates, and another for the regular studio sessions.

3 Likes

Still pretty new to the A4 and trying to figure out good workflow for me. @LyingDalai I get the studio/friends global slot but what do you mean with an “update” slot? And do you then do all your music in one project?

At the moment I do one project for every song I create. I prepared an empty scaffold project with my default settings from which I copy all new projects.

One disadvantage of this approach, whenever I change the midi configuration in my home studio, I have to adjust all midi settings in all projects. That’s why I would have found a real global “Global” Settings for eg. MIDI settings which can be overwritten on a project level more convinient.

Mmm, things changed with transfer, I think, but before that you had to deactivate midi ports in/out and activate USB only + MIDI over USB to make the update process quicker.
I think with transfer this is not necessary anymore. My bad.

What MIDI settings are you talking about?

Also considering that every compressor has its specific behaviour, color, and that the uses are super different, when you get a “this compressor sounds soooo good” in a youtube video, you really don’t know what to listen to!

Mainly the track MIDI channel settings.

On the Digitakt, you can use two of its MIDI tracks to sequence the same receiving channel. Nice with the different track lengths drifting in and out of sync on the same receiving sound.

7 Likes

Open up two instances of a synth patch you really like, then initialize the latter. Begin to recreate the preset from the init patch.

1 Like