There Can Be Only One!

I haven’t seen one of these posts in a while, so I figured why not! Mods feel free to merge this post if necessary.

Let’s say you could only have One piece of hardware from now until the end of days. You can have a DAW set up if you wish, but you can have only 1 piece of hardware (midi controllers/traditional instruments count as well, if you please.) It must also be something you currently own/use, no dream hardware/devices. What’s your weapon of choice?

Before OB, it would’ve probably been my Maschine. Now with OB, it is definitely my Digitakt. It’s the most versatile piece of equipment I own aside from my laptop.

1 Like

the one you are using

One synth? Minimoog Model D.

One of each instrument? I’ll add a Fender Stratocaster.

I’d have to think about it though. The OP-Z is such a great compliment to a DAW. The MIDI sequencing is bananas.

1 Like

Digitone hands down!

It has enough tracks and polyphony to sketch out entire songs. Can do bass, Melody, arps, chords, percussion, textures, and glitchy weird stuff. It’s a joy to play too. Built in fx helps round it all out. It’s my Swiss Army Synth.

8 Likes

I’ll go with the digitone too

5 Likes

RYTM. It has everything you need - synths and samples. Second would be OT.

6 Likes

I may get a RYTM2 at some point this year, but I’m not sure it would change my answer. Octatrack by a mile :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Thats tuff MD and MNM are so sick…DT and DN.
But i think id have to say the OT MKII.

[correction to MKII]

6 Likes

E-Mu Command Station XL-7 (2001).

if it should be the only one, i would buy extra ROMs to 3 free slots

6 Likes

OT MK2

Digitone a close second, but OT is so powerful and I use it to control drum racks and VSTs, so if I am allowed to have the DAW too, then I gotta go OT.

4 Likes

Great answers so far! Keep em coming!

I would choose a Korg Radias…it’s the poor man’s Access Virus, even has a decent number of drum samples built in…has a bunch of effects and can play 4 parts at a time. After 11 years I know it like the back of my hand!

3 Likes

Alpha Juno 1. Was my first; will be my last.

4 Likes

Digitone

my electric guitar

2 Likes

Oddly enough, it would be the Analog RYTM mk2(on account that it’s my least favorite Elektron groovebox)

3 Likes

Wait…

The synthesis doesn’t really do it for me(before the dual VCO, but you CAN do stuff with it) and the sampling is inconvenient(but through the analog filters it sounds good.)

For an all in one box it has everything you need and offers you enough need for innovation for it to be a satisfying experience, but the sound design on the engines feels pretty limited compared to everything Elektron had made before the AR mk1

Edit: also, the engines seem to be aimed at more bangin’ Techno which I find useless for my needs

3 Likes

I think it would be Ableton push. If I had nothing else to distract me I would make a script for Renoise to be able to control the whole thing like a groovebox.

5 Likes

Yeah same. If I’m taking daw + plugins (vcv inc right? :wink: in any case then focusing on purely ableton and Push2 for a year or two would probably be pretty fruitful… for some reason I’ve never been able to lock myself in to it before. Too many fun distractions :slight_smile: but spending time making tons of patches and kits and digging in to all the max stuff, mapping everything to Push2 would possibly result in ‘productivity promised land’…I kinda envy people that have focused on ableton and must have an arsenal of stuff to reach for now, all in one place…maybe one day :wink:

1 Like