Theoryboard kickstarter

my guts say that this one seems much more useful than the theoryboard.

Latest Update

Sounds really positive except for the slip in schedule – will it be the last? The hand gesture sensing for chord strums is completey unexpected – not sure it will be in the initial software release but we’ll see. Scratch out one more advantage of the Isla Kordbot.

It looks like the build quality of the Theoryboard will be good, based on the work done and the standards Irijule is setting.

I’ve definitely been thinking of how the T-board will fit with my music production and performance. I’m convinced that there will be a lot of creative uses beyond the first intents for this controller.

2 Likes

September Update

Lots of nitty-gritty down in the weeds detail here.

Evan and Scott are sweating out the final details now on the Theoryboard. They went through many many iteration on the case design for this – which (a) is due to this being their first time with a mechanical design, and (b) it’s very hard to anticipate issues unless you’ve got the physical model in your hand or an awful lot of experience, and © now days it’s an awful lot easier and cheaper to make these iterations, so you do it and get a much better design. The case had to be a real challenge given the enlargements they made to the playing surface. Looks like they have that in hand now.

A lot more goes into the complete design of a mechanical/electronic/software system of this level of complication than you might be aware – unless you’ve done it a few times yourself. (I have.)

I don’t expect them to be on schedule but they will complete it in 2018, or so my intuition tells me. Do they beat Overbridge 2.0 to market? It’s a horse race. :rofl:

Looking forward to this.

Wish things were moving a little faster with this. I am glad they include the in performance key change method. Here’s a video that shows some music theory on how some key changes in music can sound so good.

Skip the first 45 seconds.

Now sure i can play these with a guitar too, or on keyboard pretty well – but the Theoryboard is just made for this experimentation.

So i am patient.

2 Likes

i’m currently enrolled in a coding boot camp, so no time for music, but it does irk me with how little they’ve updated though i’m sure they’re working their tails off.

New Update!

New%20Theoryboard
The new look!

Theoryboard%20Panel
Detail on the Deadfront Panel – Killer!

1 Like

New update

They are doing a tremendous job closing up this project and it looks (to my new product developer eyes) that this will all be done first class. They are paying attention to mechanical issues, which is something often done only half way, when developers spend so much time and feel overwhelmed by just the electronics and the software.

Exciting news is there are also some new music theory, or performance related features that they can’t talk about yet, until they have secured the patents for them. Not sure how many patents total they’ll have on this thing but it will be quite a few – which gives some kind of view as to how innovative this box will be when completed. The key change and modal change buttons are nice already and they’re still finishing them up.

I’m guessing they will be able to deliver sometime early in 2019 – first quarter probably.

Very much looking forward to getting my hands on this, and am thinking through some on the ways i will use it, and what sort of gear and synth voicings i will put around it, including the use of arpeggiation. Need to get my studio arranged to fit this in, and fit it into my routine as well.

Here’s a little performance video they slapped together on prototype hardware, and alpha level software. It gives some hint of the rich chord voicings that are built in to this.

The learning curve will be significant, but at the same time it should be navigable. My impression is also that this will have ‘legs’ and be something i can use for a long time, finding new uses and possibilities along the way.

3 Likes

Kordbot.

I just don’t get it…Why would anyone want a program to write chords that are in-key? What about secondary dominants? Borrowed chords? Augmented chords? Writing a progression in-key is as easy as playing all white notes and transposing the whole thing up/down if you want!

And if you want to do modal interchange…Then do modal interchange!

I am constantly confounded by people who go through extraordinary lengths to avoid learning music theory. So much so that they’ll buy a piece of equipment that “does music theory”. What on Earth?

Sit at a piano, learn your favorite songs, do what they do, find out what it was they did that you liked so much, rinse, repeat. You don’t even need theory if that’s the route you take. As long as you know the rules and when to break them.

At least trying to be somewhat open minded here I can see how a piece of hardware like this can bring about new ideas/inspiration that weren’t once considered. Like maybe the user didn’t know they could use a iv in their song. Or maybe they didn’t know they could play a Db chord in the key of C and have it work out (try it in first inversion, too :wink: ). I can see that. But then at that point you’re still skipping the application of theory if the “work” is done for you.

“Check out how easy it was to remake these songs using the TheoryBoard. The music theory behind all of your favorite songs is now easily accessible.”

IT WAS EASILY ACCESSIBLE BEFORE BY LOOKING AT THE CHORDS

Rant over.

5 Likes

You dont learn much when the answers are given to to either :confused:

Right but I don’t think this is targeted at people who want to learn theory but just people who want to…I don’t know…Use it? Like it’s a magical beast or something?

Because how could you learn theory from this thing? Let’s say you didn’t know what phrygian was, so you load up the e phrygian scale and start plunking away. Okay, well now you see in your DAW that everything is all white keys. Maybe you’d be inspired to search the Internet and find out why that is. Maybe it just seems like a funny coincidence to you. Who cares?! You can play PHRYGIAN NOW

1 Like

Thank you! I have to take a deep breath every time I see that this thread has a new post. But hey, people are taking the car for a 400m ride to the bakery, so what´s the deal here anyway.

2 Likes

I find it annoying walking from my lounge room to my fridge

2 Likes

Yep there’s a reason they call em mans best friend

1 Like

Update January 2019

Irijule is very close to shipping. They have paid a lot of attention to get the small details done right. Interested to hear what the new functionalities will be, they still are waiting for the announcement. Looks like a production run of 2000 units. The last video shows the keyboard in use, but the sound is a little below par.

Sorry to see ...

i have been annoying you – GirTheRobot, and phelios. Seems to me there are plenty of other things, and other posts, without reading things you find detestable and then bothering to post your disgust. But that’s just my opinion too, you’re welcome to yours.

3 Likes

Some of those people always makes me :roll_eyes: whenever i see them post.

1 Like

Update February 2019

Simple demonstration of various voicing options, along with some scale choices.

Looks like they’re about a month away from shipping or so. (They will air ship this too.) So they have got to be close to unveiling the secret new features, that they are holding off announcing pending the patents clearing.

They are just as detail focused as always. Good to see. It’s even reassuring how carefully they prepare each update.

2 Likes

So excited for this thing.

2 Likes

^ March update

1 Like