The Virus TI2 desktop made me sell all my synths

Exactly what i‘m talking about. Blofeld: Custom wavetable and samples. Virus cost 4 times as much and can not import Wavetables and sample, both are 10 years old, still no similar gear around… at least my beloved Blofeld doesn’t get obsolete :wink:

1 Like

I needed to downsize and I bought a Ti2 to replace several synths. I don’t miss anything. It’s constantly amazing me with the sounds you can pull out of it. After learning the Octatrack and Rytm inside out, the Virus interface didn’t seem to tricky!

4 Likes

I think it helps to learn to program the virus from the front panel. With practice you don’t even have to think (very much) about how to get to and edit certain parameters. It can be very fast once you’ve used it consistently for a while.

I don’t really use the plugin much at all. Not because of stability but because programming from the front panel is just as fast once you understand the architecture in your head. Plus it’s a ultimately a piece of hardware. There are plenty of software instruments that sound really good if I want to use a mouse.

I have a TI 1 desktop BTW

Also, put it right in front of you like Deaf Eric has his above. Being able to lean on your elbows and hover right over it helps during the learning stage or if you spend a long time tweaking sounds on it. At least until the virus feels second nature to program.

4 Likes

It’s such a shame that the DSP platform the TI2 is built on will not be manufactured anymore and that there is no successor, too.

Which means: a TI3 is quite unlikely, because it would need to be designed from scratch (hard- and software). AFAIK especially the software is quite heavily bound to the used DSP platform and cannot be ported to another system without a complete rewrite.

:frowning:

If got mine for about four months and i still have the feeling that i only scratched on the surface! I didn’t bought it because of the TI part, i wanted the most flexible digital synth that can compete with plugins like massive. I already created a few IMO very good patches. I always liked the sounds of a hang drum, i used the fm functions and the ring mod and now i have some pretty decent hang drum patches. It even sounds like the palm of a hand slapping against the drum, depending on the aftertouch used. Last week I did buy a new laptop, now i can use the TI part without problems. But it’s very important for me that i’m not dependent on the software. Because there will be a day when the Vsti is no longer supported. The only thing i miss on the hardware, is the function to create my own Arp patterns (mainly because i like to modulate my patches with the “Arp input”).

Sound wise i’m in love with the Virus. Like it much better as the sounds I get in Massive. Controlling the Virus with the OT is like unlimited fun!

Right now i save some money to buy myself a eurorack case and some awesome modules. I can only imagine the possibilities of a virus controlled by the OT, going through a Modular to transform the sound even more! I basically try to build my dream synth and fx unit, based on the virus and my other synths :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I haven’t used the software yet, don’t like the idea of buying a hardware synth then using software, seems lazy lol.

1 Like

Just spent a couple of hours tonight re writing some of my tracks for my live gigs. I used to use a Bass Station and a Nord A1 along with samples in the OT of FM synths etc, man this thing blows all that right out the water! My game has just increased ten fold! So easy to get massive sounds out of it and the EQ them all to fit nicely. It’s like having every synth ever made in one box!

3 Likes

Just got a Virus TI2 a few weeks back to sequence from the OT and I absolutely love this thing.

8 Likes

Can I ask a question from the TI2 experts?

Do you NEED to use the software to get everything out of it? Can it function completely fine without the software, but just with a different workflow?

I’ve always been intrigued and some friends have used it to great effect. However, I’m a bit scarred from my Nord Modular experience. As impressive as these hybrid synths are, as the software goes out of date, it’s tricky. So, my concern has always been how the TI2 would age.

Any wisdom? Thanks!

You dont ever have to touch the software at all - it just makes some things a little more convenient but everything is available from the front panel with a little menu diving here and there. I have a Snow which is the most basic model and I’ve never even installed the software.

2 Likes

The only thing you can only do with the software is the creation of custom arp pattern. The Virus an use those arp pattern as source for modulation. This allows some things like rhythmic wavetable modulation. Everything else can be done without the TI plugin.
Definitely a awesome machine, that can do all the good stuff. Did buy mine a few months ago, worth every penny! (I got the desktop ti2)

2 Likes

I don’t know what Wine is. I’m not super computer savvy and the more I’ve moved away from audio software, the less aware I am of all the little workarounds and fixes for all the weird compatibility issues that crop up. It’s great because I have Pro Tools and MAX and they work fine and that’s all I use. I guess I have Reaktor (v 5 maybe) still too…

Anyway, there was an OS X editor apparently, but I was never able to get it working and connecting to the Nord. I had a clamshell iBook exclusively to edit, but it got tiresome. I sold my Nord Modular 8 years ago now I think.

Thanks for the tips everyone.

1 Like

I have had my Virus TI(original) for over a year now and it is my favorite synth I have owned. It has great sounds and its’t a real pain in the ass to program. I was sequencing it with a Engine, but sold that and now sequence it with the MPCX. I have been having a lot of fun playing the synth now on the X pads. good stuff!

I think in terms of getting the audio from the TI into your daw you are much better avoiding bouncing the USB streams from the software plugin as the analogue audio outs are pretty hot and with a good A/D converter you get great results.
I never touch the software unless I want to manipulate the patches.

I have a question, is it possible to switch off a channel in sequencer mode?
Someone in a different thread replied “use a multi”, but that does not suit my needs.
I’m sending midi via a midi cable, and want to select which channels it responds while in sequencer mode, as i have other synths in the chain. Has anyone done this?

I guess you can turn down the volume on the part which uses the MIDI channel you want to use.

I have a TI Snow and its still taking me to school 10 years after i bought it! Always surprising me with something un expected…

Its has a strong character though, and if you replaced everything with just a virus that character multiplied over 16 or so tracks would permiate any mix. You always need other synths…you definately need an analog mono and a rompler or sampler at least to cover what it cant.

Its not perfect for everything but definately imperative to me…i love this synth…

1 Like

Oh man. Totally forgot I made this track like 5 years ago with a Virus and Octatrack. I kind of want my old Virus back now. Can’t say the same for the OT though. But I don’t know. Music was more spontaneous back then

7 Likes

Did Kemper confirm that they do work/Plan the next Virus?!

I don’t know :slight_smile: He’s speaking German.

2 Likes