The Virus TI2 desktop made me sell all my synths

An interesting point was made a few posts ago: the Virus´ architecture is the same in all models: A - B - C - TI / TI2. New filters, oscillators and fx were added on top of the existing basic parts to guarantee a 100% backwards compatibility. I liked that a lot when i converted my 200 patches that I programmed on the Virus A to the TI. Conclusion: a new Virus will be a new development from scratch. Maybe they are able to pull something off like they did with the Kemper Amp. The Kemper opened a new dimension in terms of Amp modeling, if you dig into the documentation you understand what they achieved here by using a technology that was not implemented in any virtual guitar amps before. My dream “Virus XYZ” synth would be an analog emulation matching the standards U-HE set with Repro-1 and Repro-5 while the wavetable oscillators and the modulation mayhem from the TI series would be still on board. Please allow the import of user waves like Serum or Zebra.

1 Like

Unfortunately Access fans have to enjoy what is already a great synth, or buy a guitar :joy:

2 Likes

You are right! Stange that Access never made any comment about a successor of the Virus. Sales cannot be that bad.

Multiply… :sunglasses:

Oh the 1080. How times have changed. Like another universe away now.
Had one of those back in the day. Bad mistake. Absolute bitch to program and sounded pretty bad.
If you really need a romper in this day and age, buy NI Kontakt and some kick ass sample libraries. A lot of incredible libraries available

1 Like

I understand the sentiments towards Roland romplers and romplers in general, as I felt the same myself.

I have no intention of picking up an Integra, but have been recently inspired to dig deeper into the two romplers thatI do have. One of them allows modulation of sample start and things like that - ironically, it was an Elektron product that turned me onto those sorts of tricks.

I have a feeling they will continue production until the Motorola chip becomes totally unavailable. Squeeze every last sale out they can. Someone pointed out that Thomann has a ranking of top sales and Virus TI is not too shabby in ranking.
Interesting that oscillator and filter code hasn’t changed through different iterations of virus. Guess the sound differences are attributable to hardware components.

i have VIRUS C since 2005 (at that time it was MPC1000+VIRUS C combo). It has always been a workhorse and never let me down.
The only thing I always hated at the beginnig is that when I powered it on I started going through its numerous patches…it was so hypnotizing and timeconsuming for me)))) Since then a rarely use factory pressets, I understood that I had to dive deep into its programming this way i learned it inside out and boosted my creativity.

Sometimes when i get drunk i think of selling my beloved VIRUS C and getting POLAR…

2 Likes

One reason why the Virus didn’t got a successor is the fact that the have to write the code complete new!
The current code for the Virus ti2 is build on top of the code from the first Virus! They basically always added new code on top and only changed the existing code just as much as needed. The whole source code is written in assembly. Assembler code is specific for every chip, and it is the hardest way to write something. Ed Kemper created the first Virus basically almost alone, he started programming as a kind, but always wanted to be a rockstar. (He now delivers rockstars, what makes him somehow to a prominent person…).

To create a new Virus would mean that a team of programmer had to analyse the current code, take a new chip, build the whole thing in a more understandable but still fast programming language. I suggest the C language( C++,C, and maybe some of the really fast routines in ASM(assembly).

If the write the whole thing in C++ then it would be much easier to update the code in future. I still have a little bit of hope(mostly wishful thinking :wink: )that one day, this will happen.
But the thing is that synthesizer are a niche product. Since plugins do what the virus did 21 years ago, the profit would not be as huge as it was way back. Think about what a pc was capable for over 20 years ago, there a countless times slower, didnˋt had much ram. (Moore’s law says that every 16 months the semiconductor gets half the size of the last year. We are now in nano scope, so this „law“ will no longer be valid. But the next step will be quantum computing, so no more 0 and 1, everything between 0 and 1! Then AI will rule the world, singularity kicks in, and we all tripping until mankind gets killed, but now I digress a little too much :wink:

We only can hope that there will be a new trend, digital hardware synths, with options to make them sound complete analog just with code, and a company who try’s to do this.

I actually can’t believe that no one had the idea to build a pc into a controller, so you could use all Plugins without connecting the midi controller to a pc.

The fact that Accsess don’t produce enormous amounts of the ti2, could be a indicator that the are working on a new flagship. I did order mine last year ago and had to wait two months because Accsess didn’t had any ti2 in Storage.

Would be cool if u-he, nativ Instruments or Xfer records(serum plugin) starts to do hardware synths. Or Waldorf, but the quantum isn’t exactly like a virus, only 8 voices/no multitimbrality…

7 Likes

The link you gives on https://synthmorph.com is truncated and get 404 error :wink: @Kari

There was attempts by the past to create something like that … I remember that one :wink:
more of a rack but the idea was pretty close to that.

http://museresearch.com/products/receptor2-komplete-inside.php

1 Like

Oh shit. Sorry I usually go through the whole thread but this time I didn’t! Thanks I will delete those links.

2 Likes

I feel like I’m using my Virus wrong because all my patches so far only consist of a single oscillator lol. I guess I’m still not done exploring what a single oscillator on this synth is capable of.

2 Likes

So this is basically like a hard disk with all the awesome NI stuff, but it still needs a PC for the UI :thinking:

They have some awesome stuff but i don’t see why this would be better, besides of saving space on my harddisk.

1 Like

it’s old now… but at that time it was a good idea… (why this would be better) RAM and Process only for audio. like an expander if you want… Operating system is shared ressources and tasks :wink:

Less latency, more stability when resources are only dedicated for audio.

but it still needs a PC for the UI (but you can access to VST ui with it… yes) : no you plug a midi controller and play absynth, parameters page and macro was accessible from the Muse expander (sort of) it’s discontinued product for the NI specific one.

it’s like a DSP platform also like Creamware eco system… which was really good too
Audio Focuses platform… with DSP. I always find that more stable and powerful… of course things have change a bit nowadays…

Creamware is always in the game btw :
http://scope.zone

1 Like

You know that you doing it correct when all modulations, are full and you only have a handful of voices :wink:
No seriously, just one OSC can deliver a endless amount of sonic possibilities, because of all those spectral waveforms, wafeshapeing or different wavetable positions. Maybe try a second osc and change it 7 semitones up, the third osc is kind of a luxurious extra since you already got an additional sub oscillator.

I haven’t not even heard a quarter of all those presets, but what I heard shows me how powerful it can be…

2 Likes

I’ve been getting to know the wavetables and how they sound with the different FM options. I really dig the phase distortion. Then I’ll saturate the filter, add distortion, maybe a comb filter, pitch it real low, and voila; we have techno. I love these filters so much now; they sound so nice to me.

4 Likes

Ah now I get it! 8gb Memory, 3,3 ghz Dual Core cpu. Would love to have such a thing but already got some of those plugins (massiv, FM8, Kontakt)…
I would pay anything to get a dedicated FM8 Hardware synth… Maybe one day I have to build my own FM8 controller pc/hardware hybride synth, but it would take a live long…

1 Like

I consider the Virus as a very good synth for Mid-Range & Hi-Range frequencies like a PAD Monster. Therefore I’m not convinced in the LOW END register with it. (or it’s me didn’t like that area of it)

Also there’s a real difference in the sounds by the outputs in direct instead of total control frequency wise I find. If I buy one again one day it would be the Virus TI2 Polar or the Virus TI2 Dark Star (which is the same)

I think it does all sounds really well. I like low frequency tones with a lot of interesting (gritty metallic) textures to put things into context,