The state of computers rant

The APFS conversion worked fine for me and operationally in finder and whatnot it’s no different than before, just the volume structure of the drive is a little different. Once you do it though you can’t go back without formatting the drive. If your talking about the ocsp certificate checking you can block that process from talking home with an app like Little Snitch or just turn WiFi off. I actually haven’t noticed network activity with that process on my computer…

Edit: Apple has officially declared they will introduce an opt out setting for the security checks sometime this year…

2 Likes

Naturally I have upgraded the HD a couple of times over the years.

@darenager this! That is exactly what a computer should do. Compute. Thats it. No more, no less. Just run the operation. How hard is it?
Ughhhh

1 Like

OSX 10.6.8 ftw!

…i had an atari…once…back in the days…to use a cubase crack…

then i bought my first mac…to use logic as a frontend to tdm hardware on nubus slots inside that mac…

that mac was running with 33mhz…and was running smooth through the next decade…
while the world saw many pentium generations passing by…

and i still remember the frustration of a collegue, when he bought the next pc, heated by a pentium 400 and could not believe that his brand new machine could not catch up in any way with my old 33mhz machine…

today, THIS computer is still working fine, somewhere in switzerland mountains…as a typewriter machine substitute…

but my story as an apple user had just begun…back then…
apart from that first one, that now still worx in the hands of a friend in the mountains, i still have all apple machines i’ve ever purchased…and apart from my very first laptop, a pismo, they ALL still work and run fine…each with that same os they came with…
no, wait…one of my macbook pros from 2012 is NOW actually running on high sierra, but came with the mountain lion…runs smooth anyways…
i don’t need the two black macbooks i used for live gigs many years, anymore…but once or twice a year i turn them on, just to say hello, thinking of all the mess they’ve been through with me perfoming all over the places…knowing i could hit any stage anytime again with them…still…if there would be no ot’s…
while the two classic unibody macbook pros are still my mobile recording set up…

many people might rant about macs…i don’t…because they work…solid.
between 2016 and now…they were not that top notch for a while…
but i did’nt care…cause all my investments where hardware instruments anyways…
no big need for investing in computers…in the last years…
my actual main studio computer is from 2010…a mac pro…
and it still is…and will be tomorrow…
recording, editing and mixing all my hardware…lot’s of swedish hardware, too…
no need for ob, but thanx…

i’m typing all this on a superslim small macbook 11" from 2018 without any cooling ventilators…
but also with one of these crappy butterfly keyboards…thats one of those epic apple fails since 2016…
but worx anyways…all the other fails sine 2016…like too much heat, less battery usage and stuff…
well, as we all learned last year…was not really their fault… intel was the problem…
and from now on, never will be again…
that’s why, this summer it’s time for my very last macbook pro in my life…14"…with their own processor design…macsafe powersocket returns…magic keyboard returns…no real need for cooling ventilation…up to 20 hours til recharge…
for all mobile missions to come…faster than ever…
while my studio will still do fine with that old machine…
no need to hurry…no need for updates…no need for benchmarks…
i just work with what i got in front of me…

i’m a mac user…and that’s why i have absolutely no clue about computers…
and i don’t have to…cause it just worx…therefor i’m free to focus on the important things…
like making music…

3 Likes

Bang on the money there

You actually can install the newest Overbridge on Windows 7, I did it a week ago. You just have to keep the Elektron boxes on while installing.

2 Likes

Using Linux on the desktop on my $120 thinkpad and all is good. No Ableton but bitwig works great.

I do think a dual boot MacBook Pro would be the best (dual boot osx and Linux)

4 Likes

Computers are fine. They are just another tool. Windows 10 works fine. I have yet to really have a problem with Win10. Knock on wood I guess. Wish my machine were faster, but whatever. I mostly use it to record my gear through my AH in OB mode. I even got everything all synced up pretty much perfectly if I don’t use a bunch of VST’s.

1 Like

Thank you for the suggestion. I am trying this app now. Funny, it blocked a tracker from Elektronauts as I was typing my last post. Neat!

2 Likes

I’ve never ever had the issues other people seem to have with Windows, DAWs, VSTs etc. It has all worked pretty much fine for me. I’ve been on FL Studio and Windows since FL was in like version 7. And I promise you I am doing absolutely nothing special. Not saying I don’t believe people, I just never have.

1 Like

What’s Windows :joy:
But this topic is beginning to cause me some anxiety. My primary Mac is a 2010 MacBookPro with SSD and the DVD drive replaced with a 2TB SSD. It was performing brilliant, photoshop processing >400Mb files in bugger all time. But the last update just shot it in the leg. Time for a new Mac :confounded:
However, my 2012 Mac Air after the update was fine. Unfortunately it’s not up to the task when it comes to work.

Hm I thought ghostery had some privacy or whatever issues (maybe that changed) and u block origin ( plus maybe local cdn, i’m absolutely no expert) is the obvious ( open source ) choice for firefox.
I really like the old hp i got for free , especially compared to the 2018 macbp i payed for when my very compuer -savy friend said its not worth putting a ssd and ram in that hp.
No touchbar, no auto turn on, no t2, a matte screen, no i cloud( my mistake i didnt turn off when i got it,now i‘m too lazy to quit it. bitwarden is installed and ready, pcloud works nice…) a normal keyboard.

I wonder what about t2 chip problems including audio-usb on the new m1 mb air .
Are they all gone? ( I still cant watch videos in safari,popping sound on start -stop, firefox had massive bugs lately on mac, works now again)
If so it really looks great without touchbar and cooling and fascinating tecnology anyway.

Besides that i would like to try linux again to see what was user error or if that laptop was broken. it seems bitwig runs good with linux.

In my next life i want to learn programing and also only use open bsd like my friend or alternatively live without computers and phone and lazyness. only learn and make music with an acoustic guitar, drawing and eating only my own vegetable.

2 Likes

I got my computer for free too. They call it e-waste. Small form factor. Got a 27" monitor for it for cheap and it’s great. 6 years old. Whatever. Can’t loose. Offices in the city are always upgrading. And thanx for the u block…Installed.

1 Like

Just in case it slipped because it got on the next line in my text : it has to be ublock origin and not ublock
Edit : adding privacy badger is recommended ( just maybe : i just read that they disabled heuristic learning after a tip from (sic) google security team. Things seem here also not so black or white, as is often the case. reddit people think it may be a false move from google… very complex

Maybe i should learn u matrix or use tor browser and stop watching videos)
Ghostery is open source now but still seems not recommended, rather add privacy badger or duck duck go privacy essentials to ublock origin or maybe still best use only ubo

I also use o+o shutup10 using the recommended settings
And lockdown app for mac and iphone

Have a nice day

1 Like

looks like modern reincarnation of MV8800.

2 Likes

The kraken has been released, you trend setter you.

P.S.
I like Win10…
I got a $700 “gaming” laptop a few years ago and got rid of all that bloat junk. I very rarely go on the internet with it, so have a lot of the firewall and defender tools disabled. Ill transfer updates onto it using a USB and my general purpose desktop pc that I’ve had for 12 years and which is still going strong. Knock, knock.
Win 7 was great, but 10 doesn’t bug me that much. At least it’s not Vista. :eyes:!!!

3 Likes

Elektronauts is clean, some sites are really scary, around 30 trackers!

3 Likes

…basically all the good old rules…and everything is fine…

never change a running system…
don’t overstrech it by constantly running the newest upgrades…
don’t use ur workhorse for surfing the net…windows in special…
backup ur shit…
never be a first adopter, if u don’t have to…

4 Likes

It’s not for everyone but your complaints about Windows makes it sound like you’d be happier on Linux.
It supports the best DAWs already (Bitwig, Renoise, Reaper aka the holy trinity). Class compliant interfaces work no problem. VSTs are a different matter. I run dual boot but gradually moving more and more to Linux for music production with Bitwig.

3 Likes