The Rytm Input : High headroom?

Friend of mine says Blofeld is nearly half as loud as A4, so yea you may need a reamp device. I ended up getting a Mackie Mix5 so that I could eq my TB-3 to go into Rytm.
Recommend the Mix5

I should have mentioned that Iā€™ll be routing the Blofeld through a Biscuit before going into the AR. Should that be enough to amplify the signal?

I should have mentioned that Iā€™ll be routing the Blofeld through a Biscuit before going into the AR. Should that be enough to amplify the signal?[/quote]
Iā€™d recommend using a small compressor for the Blofeld (RNLA :slight_smile: ) because the Blofeld has quite a lot of variation in its loudness, for instance when tweaking the filter overdrive! You can then also use the output gain to adjust the volume.

1 Like

Ha ha, I just realized thatā€™s the oldest device in my setup, which I never sold and repurchased in between, definitely worth advertising a bit :slight_smile:

I should have mentioned that Iā€™ll be routing the Blofeld through a Biscuit before going into the AR. Should that be enough to amplify the signal?[/quote]
Iā€™d recommend using a small compressor for the Blofeld (RNLA :slight_smile: ) because the Blofeld has quite a lot of variation in its loudness, for instance when tweaking the filter overdrive! You can then also use the output gain to adjust the volume.[/quote]
I used to own the Blofeld a few years ago. Iā€™d like to stick with what I have since I have everything neslted in a flight case. Iā€™m hoping that the Biscuit will be enough to boost the signal.

Also, Iā€™ll be using the mixer on the Blofeld a lot, so Iā€™ll have multiple programs running via the Blofeld (most I was able to run in the past was 3-4 instruments/programs before the Blofeld would start to choke).

With the Biscuit - can you turn up the gain without clipping the diode by dialing in the naked knob down a bit? If so, then great - thatā€™s clean gain.
But if the naked knob is just a dry/wet of the effected signal pre-gain, then you may not have enough post FX gain to do it without clipping the Biscuitā€™s diode. You might only be able to do get enough level for Rytm input by distorting it due to clipping the diode with the gain knob.

In other words, maybe?

For me, the Rytm compressor sounds good enough to be my mains live compressor so Rytm is last in the chain. I find that having a simple mixer to feed everything into the Rytm input gives me the best solution for a streamlined live situation. Only other bit of kit I may or may not add is a BBE 282iQ to tune things to a room when the PA might be a bit boxy.

1 Like

With the Biscuit - can you turn up the gain without clipping the diode by dialing in the naked knob down a bit? If so, then great - thatā€™s clean gain.
But if the naked knob is just a dry/wet of the effected signal pre-gain, then you may not have enough post FX gain to do it without clipping the Biscuitā€™s diode. You might only be able to do get enough level for Rytm input by distorting it due to clipping the diode with the gain knob.
[/quote]
The Naked knob is just to bring in the dry signal, I donā€™t think you can push the gain of the signal more than whatā€™s already coming in.

The Drive knob offers +15dB of gain, which might be my only hope in bringing up the signal.

If anybody has a Biscuit, Blofeld, and AR, and could test this out, Iā€™d HIGHLY appreciate it!

Got the mogami chord. It makes a big difference! The input is actually quite usable now.

I have a biscuit, if I get a chance Iā€™ll try but basically the only way your going to add gain is through the filter and effects, I think.

Yup, it works! Itā€™s all through the drive, works wonders.

Just to chime in again, the blofeld actually doesnā€™t even need the biscuit if you use drive on the filters to boost the signal and/or raise the amp of your synths via the multi menu.

Oh so stoked to have my setup complete!

1 Like

soā€¦that Cuckoo video with Cenk looking at Overbridge : have I heard that right - basically OB is going to solve the RYTMā€™s ext. input shortcomingsā€¦? Including routing another track from within your DAW not only through the analogue stages but also the digital FX if you want ? Or was he just meaning this is on the A4/Keys ?

[I realise of course this still doesnā€™t help you cats who are wanting to stuff another piece of hardware straight into the RYTMā€™s ext inā€¦sorry. :thinking: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: ]

i found a cheap solution to the problem. thought i would give it a go and it works just fine :slight_smile:
youā€™ll probably end up not using all outputs but for the price is probably worth it

1 Like

You can route from your DAW to your Rytm either pre dist & comp using output channels 3&4 or post using output channels 1&2.

I route my ableton master track to Rytm output 3&4 to make use of Rytm compressor as an master bus compressor for whole track. Very useful!

I donĀ“t know what you are doing with your Blofeld, but mine is loud as hell.
When i run the Blo thru the A4 (because of the reverb), i always reduce the patch-level on it, because it nearly sucks up all the sound spectrum so that the the A4 gets lost. The only wish i have is a 3-band-equalizer on the inputs.

Sorry, what?

Sorry, what?[/quote]
Using over bridge I meanā€¦ Iā€™ll explain better when I am at a keyboard next, sorry Iā€™m lazy when typing on phone!

I just have a DBX 266XL compressor hooked up to the input (available cheap 2nd hand on gumtree in UK for as little as Ā£50), so i can gain anything going into the inputs via this unit.

Not as good as having an input gain control within Rytmā€™s OS, but solves the problem

Seems the consensus on the quiet-Rytm-input issue is to get a compressor.

I just want to confirm that there is no gain settings accessible?

correct. no controls of any kind for the input. Only hack I can think of is to route all ARā€™s internal sounds to indiout and then you can use the master volume + comp out gain to. control the input level, but that kinda defeats most of the usefulness of the input to begin with (you only get the comp + limiter dc offset for the input this way)