The Rytm Input : High headroom?

This should be a swift one and I’m pretty certain I know the answer already but I just wanted it in black and white before a potential purchase; am
I right in assuming you can still route external audio through the RYTM as you can the rest of the line? - I’m out of audio inputs, so it’s kinda essential if I’m to get one. Thanks all.

Yes, the stereo audio in enters the signal flow before the compressor.

4 Likes

Great, thanks. That’s me done here, nothing to see!

Oh yes there is.

Your setup and some tunes when you’ve made the leap.

1 Like

just pending tomorrow’s revelations, obviously

I’ve merged you to a thread you should browse (and should have used (or similar) to post to tbh - keep it tidy - however, we get why there was a quick q? and temp thread option tendered)

there is no input gain on the compressor ext inputs - so you will need a healthy signal at those inputs

thanks. Bummer about the input gain, or lack of - had assumed it’d be the same as the A4 / DN / DT / OT… glad I asked!

1 Like

I think the input assumes a good amount of makeup gain on the compressor. I’ve always found that to work well with external sources.

1 Like

If you are talking about the AMP parameters in the voice pages, its not a linear attenuator. Using values above 100 will introduce extra nonlinearity.

Track level OTOH is a linear volume control AFAIK

However, if you are running into the comp, the extra nonlinearity might be a moot point, since you are looking to alter the voice sound with the compressor anyway…

3 Likes

Here’s an interesting question relevant to this thread.

I would like to use the Rytm input with separate mono material on the left and right channels. For example a kick drum on the left channel and percussion on the right channel.

I know this sounds strange, but the intention is to sum the left and right outputs from the Rytm at a later stage - Specifically use hard panned kick and percussion from the tr09 and to route the mono outputs into the analog four and treat them separately with overdrive and filters etc. in this example I am not using the stereo fx returns from the Rytm itself so don’t worry about that causing problems with the stereo mix

Do we have any information on whether this will work with the compressor?

For example does the compressor listen to just the left or right channel or sum them to activate the compressor? In other words does the Rytm compressor work independently on the left and right channels?

hoping I can make use of the compressor using this specific implementation described here

Most likely the compressor is triggered by summed LR. But a bit of experimentation should make that clear quite quickly.

i feed the ext l/r in of ar with nord lead a1,at first low level of sound almost drive me crazy,i also try a minitaur with just l in,moog is always hot signal synth,but by ar’s ext in big moog sound became weak
is this elektron team s design fault?
no,not really,by try comp parameter in same fx page ,mix,gain makeup,and out level,magic happens,by careful use these parameter,to control noise level of analog comp and level of ext in signal,i feed a warm pad patch of nla1 came to pump beautifully by makeup gain(use lp of comp),and the level of input never weak any more
so,its a analog input to an analog comp,don just think buy some gear to amp the input,just use the comp,and gain stage of ar

5 Likes

the ext in of rytm,more i expo the comp page parameter,more i feel it is design for some kind of sidechain input,do not expect elektron give you trim or gain in level control、mono to stereo signal routing ability,elektron wasn’t a company do things even in mk2 version still no fix of input level weak trouble,unless it is not a real fault of function,the two in put design to hard stereo(not like a4 you could use as two Independent input of each other,could easily feed two mono out synthesizer )with purpose,thinking about use them on real stereo poly synth,big massive warm pad interaction with rytm drum sound by analog comp,french pump,analog heaven!
these days i use nord lead a1 on the ext in and comp of rytm,my feel was already amazing a1 sound get more analog and warmer

1 Like

I use it as a return for the Monotron Delay. Works great.

2 Likes

that is an excellent idea!

1 Like

When i connect my XD to the ext ins of the Rytm, the volume is really low. Even when I crank up the XD to the max. I like to use the ext ins of the Rytm as it keeps my setup down to two machines.

What is the best way to solve this? (I prefer a compact solution, or even better: a solution where I don’t need an extra device at all). But I am open to all suggestions :sunglasses:

Discussed above and in here too …

or also in here

2 Likes

Yeah, sorry @avantronica . I did a google search, not a forum search.

I will punish myself by putting on a Level 42-record.

1 Like

I forgot how low the AR inputs were.
Plugged my Rev2 into them and couldn’t hear a thing so plugged the rev2 into the A4 and the A4 into the AR and it was OK.
I’ve used the inputs as send/returns for my BAM or H9, it works wonder that way. perhaps modular level would work out of the box… didn’t think of it (used my DN for that)

I use it a lot. It’s very helpful. Level control would be a convenient extra control, but the inputs are plenty usable without.