The Renoise Thread

Website is back up.

just picked up a license the other day, gonna try to get myself back into working in a DAW when i want to flesh out a full tune.

anybody have any favorite resources in addition to the manual for beginners? iā€™m fairly versed with the M8 tracker and i had a good amount of time with the Polyend tracker so Iā€™m not a total novice to tracking but i can tell its gonna be some time before im floating on the keyboard.

https://www.youtube.com/@Achenar has some good tutorials on more advanced Renoise topics, and for trackers in general, thereā€™s the classic Trackers Handbook - Version 0.5

5 Likes

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLtOoXHZxv0SOpMuzCNqaFGDzB88mPN-IL

More focused on dnb and jungle but there are good tips and techniques in these

6 Likes

awesome thank you both!

https://youtube.com/@MrZensphere

This guy has some good tutorials. He makes psytrance, but the topics he covers can be used in any genre.

5 Likes

Hey all

Trying to use an apple keyboard (magic keyboard with numpad, F1-F12 etc) attached to my macbook, to control renoise.

I canā€™t seem to stop the the F1-F12 applying to shortcuts outside of Renoise, even though Iā€™ve unclicked all the shortcuts in the keyboard options (System Settings). Is there a way to lock the keyboard to within Renoise?

could it be that the F keys need the Fn button to be pressed to be the F keys?

I only encountered that yesterday on my macbook. theyā€™re multifunction on mine.

1 Like

YES! Thanks

Iā€™m getting so hacked off at the moment with general navigationā€¦ Iā€™m tired and I donā€™t really have big enough time windows though :confused: I just want to be passed this flailing around period and actually navigating with ease

3 Likes

Its SO SMOOTH once you get everything settled.

Iā€™ve been working with renoise for my current project and itā€™s such a pleasant music making process

The ergonomics are important ehā€¦ do use laptop and mouse? External keyboard?

Laptop and external keyboard and mouse.

Tbf tho, I mostly use it to run VSTs with the occasional sample

I need to a get a mouse too. Having problems with pinching the trackpad for zooming - doesnā€™t seem to work well on smaller samples

1 Like

Iā€™ve always used Ctrl+Up / Ctrl+Down to zoom in/out in the sample editor, and Ctrl+Alt+A to zoom all the way back out to the full sample - its super fiddly trying to use a mouse in the sample editor.

2 Likes

Thanks so much - thatā€™s gold. I felt like I was banging my head against a brick wall last nightā€¦ Trying to pinch into a kick Iā€™d cropped from a break to a new instrumentā€¦ And it either did absolutely nothing or zoomed me all the way in and was then unresponsivene.

2 Likes

No problem, the more people using Renoise the better!

Page Up/Down keys also zoom the waveform vertically, for when you need to find those low amplitude start points.

And if you are creating slices, toggle slice mode with Ctrl+G and create a slice at the current sample position with Ctrl+K.

4 Likes

:heart:

2 Likes

Are you guys using renoise on a laptop outside the home/studio?

I figured rather than getting a M8 or Polyend Tracker, why not just use renoise on a laptop for portability, especially when you can use the keyboard for most of the functions like you would on hardware

m8 is incredible, but youā€™ve got a point. laptop has a better battery & speakers than m8.

I never use an external audio interface with my laptop renoise / ableton setups (m1 macbook air). makes em super portable n handy.

2 Likes

I mostly use Renoise on my laptop, not often outside the house though.

I had a Polyend Tracker for a while, but the only thing it really did well was the perform page, everything else was a fraction of other tracker software, for a mobile tracker. I prefer SunVox, itā€™s available on almost any device and is much deeper than the PT, and also has a novel interface to get by without keyboard input.

Iā€™ve considered the M8 many times, and might pickup a teensy to try it headless given the scarcity of them.

1 Like