The problem with Everything

I know what you mean I have that in most cases with deel synthesizers. The possibilities are endless.

Then I found that I just love jamming and create fast and on the go loops. But with the Digitakt and the Digitone that is a bit harsh when it comes on transitions and stuff. It just felt like pressing patterns for me. I wanted more playability. I saw a vid of Enrique Tinez of how he did transitions on the OT and I was sold. Bought the unit two weeks ago with for now a single purpose. Live record / sample and mangle my Digi’s.

I know it can do a lot more. But for now this do the trick. Haven’t been more satisfied with a buy. And to know it can do much more gives me energy to keep using it.

For you I would say give yourself some limitations like in a Digitakt. And when you have something good going you can see if that extra LFO come in handy.

Good luck!

3 Likes

Definitely the way I try to go but I do find myself wondering if it would be better to have a machine with physical limitations i.e. the DGKT rather than self imposed limitations on the OCTRCK?

I love playing guitar but after years of buying, selling and tweaking one after another I find myself just playing an excellent acoustic. No worries about tone, pickups, amps etc.

2 Likes

This is exactly why I just picked up my MPC 1000

Cld pls wrt CTTRCK nrml r jst OT? :smile:

12 Likes

you people are really hard to deal with…
either too much features or too few features.
never happy with what you already have.

you just have to admit that you’re bored

6 Likes

Hahaha. Had the same message written, but abandoned it like an hour ago, thinking I would look like a jerk.

Actually, ‘DGKT’ also doesn’t make much sense. ‘DGTK’ could work, but it seems ‘DT’ is the common abbreviation for it in here.

M/S, DT, DN, DNK, OT, A4, AK, AR, MnM, MD, AH, AD and …‘SidStation’? ‘MKII’ and ‘MK2’ are equally used.

2 Likes

I wonder how real musician use it, I’m not a musicien, It’s the “first machine” I bought and on which one I worked intensely since 2015.
I think someone who really know what to write as notes and chords in can do wonderful things with… Personally my biggest prob is the note progression of my music, because working with lot of crazy arp sounds really good but is not easy to then use to a precise direction.
Maybe using the arranger can be a way to achieve more “pro” tracks.
But yeah you can use it of different way…
It’s a mother spaceship seriously… combined with a CC midi converter it become the best machine from far far in my opionion (with MD :3)

2 Likes

Limitations breed creativity

4 Likes

I hate my ot mk2
But sometimes I love it

I try to use It for one way of working
1-4 = kick hh sn perc
5 some texture
6 something
7 flex looper
8 master (with comp)

Set scènes
ADD a4

Jam, and here we go.

I always do the same, it is a Kata. The results are always different
Slowly controll and speed increase
The faster I work, The more inspiration I got

1 Like

What In blazes is an OCTRK ?!?!

2 Likes

Does Tom know ?!??

3 Likes

Vowels are for squares, friend… of course Tom knows.

2 Likes

I think the OT demands you set out clearly how you are going to work with it. Otherwise it’s chaos - which is one way of working of course!
I decided:

• Only use what I can run through the inputs, 2-4 external sources is plenty
  • Keep the same elements (kick, bass, melody) on the same OT tracks, whether the sound source is internal or external.
    This has meant I don’t need a mixer or external fx and can concentrate transitions and breakdowns within scenes, without needing eight hands to do what I want.

100%
I will probably never release any music or play any live gigs, so the above is more than enough (I keep telling myself) :smile:

2 Likes

Usual experience:

-Methodically programs sequences and tweaks effects, scenes etc. for 2 hours
-Commences to change all parameters and scale and get lost in chaos

• “Uh OK I guess that’s kinda cool, LOL”
  • Reloads part
    -Puts OT away for another week or so
3 Likes

This is precisely me as well and it’s the thing that I hate and love the most about the OCT.

1 Like

All you need to do is go “ok this is kinda cool” then record it! Get into that habit = making music.

11 Likes

I just print the main outs from an OT session to a recorder or DAW. Same project names, collect all samples and I can go all directions if wanted.

7 Likes

The tyranny of choice encapsulated in a machine!

3 Likes

Ha - I love working on OT, but I also get stuck in the loop of endless parameter tweaking. I often record at the end of a session, even if it’s only for a reference point. Projects have a way of evolving and changing, the more you work on them. I’ve learned to not get anxious about that and to just enjoy the time spent. When I get a few moments to play with my music machines, I usually walk away with a smile and a bunch of ideas for next time. I keep a notebook handy (one for general ideas, and one specific to octatrack projects). I definitely want to try a setup like @Martebar up there. I also want to sort out using the CUE to my main FX loop. Right now, I just run everything through the FX chain. It works, but can only go so far.

2 Likes

Ive blown up my setup a million times sometimes I like less things that can do more and sometimes more things that do less. But through it all the OCT has been a constant, but sometimes I wonder if it’s the reason I can’t find a good setup or I just need to go deeper into the OCT and go with less stuff.

1 Like