The Power of Nostalgia (or how 909 hats are holding me back)

Yes.

3 Likes

Don’t overthink it, just layer the hats.

2 Likes

Easiest and cheapest way to get 909 hats into a hardware setup? The tr6s? Model samples? Tr-09? Other ideas?

Zenbeats app on your phone?

Any sampler you already have?

1 Like

don’t you already have a sampler? cheapest way would be free samples

Although they’re unlikely to identify them as 909 hats, or even know what it is that’s different, it may still be a part of the expected aesthetic - like a squelchy filter is to acid or an electric guitar is to rock music.

There’s a power to both subverting and appealing to expectations.

2 Likes

Someone posted something they’ve done with modular, and it sounded like there was amen in there. I loved it!

Whoops, didn’t know this thread was that old.

I think we can translate that feeling and that /type/ of sounds into new sounds, however, and it’s something I am working on.

2 Likes

TL;DR:

note the pattern name on TR-6s :tongue:

5 Likes

Which brings me to things that were brought up in the past:
Where are the synthesizers for real cymbals, hihats, rides etc.?

• Volca Drum Waveguide, string mode (it can sound pretty nice)
  • Nord Drum 2/3 (at least I heard a realistic cymbal the other day in an example.)
  • Syntakt Cy Alloy (very commendable, sadly it often sounds like plastic - unless the two filters are utilized for some serious HPing. luckily we do have two filters!)
1 Like

The machinedrum has some amazing hat modelling type sounds, I absolutely loved how they sounded. Brilliant detail with the transition from long to short decay, for that proper snickety sound of a hat closing.

1 Like

Hey! Is there anywhere an example on the web? (Or which machine is it … EFM?)
I have looked into the machinedrum in the past, but it was always unclear what was sample or synth just from jams.

1 Like

It’s not the EFM machine, can remember that much of it. Manual doesn’t seem downloadable from the electron site but I’ll have a search about later and see which machine it was - it was what definitely the physical modelling set though, probably only one of those was for the hats. But seriously good sounds came out of them, can tell you that much.

1 Like

Wmd Crucible does amazing Cymbals. Afaik it is physical modeling aswell

1 Like

Found a manual! It’s the Physically Informed engine, PI-HH. Has dedicated parameters for the interaction between the two cymbals, and a time before the hat closes seperate to the overall decay of the sound. Those two params, p-locked, made a truly great high hat sound.

2 Likes

Could always write a record and ban yourself from any Roland stuff. Put it out there. See the response. See how you feel after the fact. Then see how you feel a few months after the fact. :wink:

I constantly feel this issue. I’m currently working with a Perkons and a synth in a live jam setup but I always feel like I have to have more, particularly 909 hats and ride. I think it’s a crutch that I really should forget about.

2 Likes

Same here. But the 909 hat and ride are just really really good :man_shrugging:. Nothing wrong with using them

3 Likes

i love the Syntakt so far but it hasn’t replaced my TR-6S on the side pretty much just for 909 hihat and ride duty. why suffer?

Not sure about the hats, but the ride on the 909 is a sample of a real ride. I prefer the rides I’ve got using a couple of quality samples of acoustic rides, either loaded in OT or Tanzmaus (12bit crunch, really nice down pitching). They sound in 909 territory but different.

It’s a coincidence this thread has popped up as I’ve just spent over an hour building a hi hat patch on the Nord Modular using 606 HH synthesis as the basis: 6 pulse waves, 6 bandpass filters, a touch of the metal oscillator. 4 osc go into one mixer, the other three into a second then an LFO to cross pan the two for subtle phasing type effect and width. Added a touch of mod envelope (with velocity to its am) to pitch, and a touch of velocity to pitch on some others. Being able to tune / detune the oscillators individually is really rather satisfying!

IMO any virtual modular (e.g. VCV for free) can be great tools for emulating synthesized hats of the Roland classics, but enable going beyond.

I guess I should post some examples, but firing up off line daw, recording, then copying to USB, uploading to my internet laptop is a bit of a drag.

I like a lot a of the sounds I’ve heard here from the Syntakt and Cycles, but definitely not the hats from the Metallic machines, but of course that’s totally subjective.

4 Likes