The Power of Nostalgia (or how 909 hats are holding me back)

If it’s any consolation: I tried to remake the Amen Break on the ST.

2 Likes

I probably do actually. I try to catch that kind of sounds with most gear I have.
Not sure what it is for me, cause it can’t be much nostalgia. I started listening to electronic music in 2012.
Ok a lot of artist I listen to used old Roland stuff…
But another important point is, they just sounded incredible and nailed a certain sweetspot. Undeniably…

1 Like

Perhaps it’s not the power of nostalgia but just a product of evolution that just works and doesn’t need change. There are a lot of instruments that have come in different variations of the same original concept. Perhaps we have to admit Roland nailed it in the day. The clouds in the sky will always be clouds although they appear in many forms and that’s fine imo.

2 Likes

Please share!

1 Like

Redirect to ST Amen Challenge - #10 by Fin25

2 Likes

See, progress can be made.

2 Likes

Here’s how to get in comfortably:

• go on a Sunday evening
  • be gay
    It’s a gay club, which most disappointed tourists don’t realize :smile:
7 Likes

there’s no way it’s only 488.

:wink:

The question I would ask myself is not, for whom you are making the music, but why are you making music and would forcing you to do something, you obviously don’t like that much, would help you express yourself better. Does using a HH-Sound you don’t like that much, makes your song better? If that topic is worth enough to start a thread about it, I would say: No. I don’t think, that there will be people in the audience, who think: Oh damn, that piece of music would be sooo good, if he had used something else for the HH than the 909 sample he used. I would go that far, that 99% of the people listening to music don’t know what 909 means. On the other side: it might be the other way around. Because I think that using something you are not happy with, knowing that it could be better, but you just decided to not make it better, won’t help you with that “free mind” you might need to express yourself the way you want to.

1 Like

Exactly

I have occasionally had this thought (even though I love all 909 sounds)

1 Like

If you really want to be 14 again, you can. Remember how impressionable you were back then? Just become really easily inspired by everything again. Naive? You betcha! :blush:

Use a different hihat sample for each individual hit in the song, record the hihat track solo to mini disc, slander the sounds of the Octatrack big time, have that mini disc submitted as evidence in the highly publicised trial, record the media coverage of the court playback of the minidisc via fm radio to the OP1F, transmit it from the OP1F to your car radio while ordering at a fast food drive through, send a freedom of information request to the fast food chain requesting the recording (for training and quality purposes) of your order, get a response from the fast food chain saying they don’t record drive through orders, go back to square one, use 909 hats, chillax.

13 Likes

Respect for the work you’ve put in there.

To be honest it would have been more work to stop myself…

P.S. I have similar feelings about 808 and 909 kicks. I don’t really care what the kicks I use sound like, I don’t really know what a good kick is supposed to sound like, I dunno when I make a kick on a synth if it sounds proper or will work in a mix, so at least if I use samples of those I know they’re tried and tested, but for reasons above it feels a bit cheaty.

3 Likes

Sounds like something Homework-era Daft Punk might do (R.I.P.)

2 Likes

Not sure if Microtribe meant it this way but a listener doesn’t have to know what something is to appreciate it when it’s there. Maybe they’d just describe it as that ‘dancy aesthetic’.

Like with design, a consumer doesn’t need to understand it to appreciate it.

(I’m a 606 fanboy myself)

2 Likes

You know that’s exactly how I feel about crumpets. They’re not bread, not muffins, obviously cooked but not sure if they’ve been baked or steamed, but then again they’re spongy and have lots of holes so maybe they’ve been grown like mushrooms… I just have no idea.

4 Likes

Here’s an idea. Use the 909 hats as the place where the listener returns home. So for three minutes (or whatever), it’s some twisted form of a 909 hat that is kinda familiar and kinda alien, then gradually twist it back to a familiar 909 hat at some point, bringing everything back together pleasingly. Or go the other way, start out with the familiar and then twist things into something else.

5 Likes

:laughing:

They got holes fer yer jam I don’t need to know about none of those fancy raisin agints

2 Likes