The Poly Synth 'the One'

1+ on the Novation Summit.

Let s imagine Virus is monotimbral, what u choose?
Thanks

[reminder that Summit is bi-timbral and has layer, split & dual modes]

2 Likes

+1 Novation Summit. I don’t even use it for multi timbrality, but having extra nobs compared to Peak makes it very immediate

3 Likes

Probably virus just because of how comfortable I am with it. It’s a classic. Peak/Summit are future classics though for sure.

2 Likes

Nord G2 - far more than just a poly: string machine, vocoder, drum machine, modular fx unit, midi router.

2 Likes

i would keep my prophet 12 module.
you never get bored because of its deep powerfull engine, leading to versatile sound with a lot of attitude, highly portable.
it begs tou to add expression controls like expressive e touché, expression pedal etc…to become a live performer’s favorite :yum:

2 Likes

I love my Virus snow, and it’s the only synth I’ve kept … however, they’ve dumped a lot of us Mac users with no 10.15+ compatibility, and they’re still selling them new I think

2 Likes

At this point the only poly analog I feel it s worth the price it’s Rev2 and only poly digital the Nord Lead2/2x.
I was really leaning towards Iridium… but feelings of people are pretty mixed up about it…

1 Like

I already made this decision. I sold every synth I had and kept Vermona PERfourMER MKII
Can be Mono 4 voices, Duo 2x 2 voices or Poly 4x 1 voice.
And it’s the best sounding synth I ever heard :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Boring might be too hard a word, but I agree that many mono-synths can do much more interesting stuff. Often it’s by design and cost … :wink:

But IMO polysynths have their advantage, if the music needs roles, which in a classical orchestra would be performed by string sections, a couple of brass or wind instruments, or where a choir would be well placed.

This said, if I want interesting sounds, I check out mono-synths, paritucularly, it they seem to have some exotic options. If I need interesting pad-sounds, I check out poly-synths like the Virus or the Peak/Summit like machines and optionally a “cheesy” sounding analogue poly as well :wink:

Korg minilogue OG

2 Likes

All this thread does is make me want an A4mkii

3 Likes

Well, u cant play chords with monosynths for one.
There r polysynths with character… just not many enough… :frowning:

1 Like

Im coming round to that way of thinking. The Pro 3 is the ultimate mono. I have it on my radar!

4 Likes

Yamaha An1x or A4 would do a great job.

Digitone is pretty fantastic. I guess if I am being honest it does cover my bread and butter synth sounds (except for real PWM) and there are enough voices if I am layering them on the OT.

But this is a GAS thread and I do find that I get unwanted tail cut offs if I am running all the tracks at once. I don’t want to run out of voices. I’d love an elektron polysynth with 4 tracks but with a super high voice count. Maybe the oscillators would be like Mutable Instruments Braids module and there could be a mod matrix that can be parameter locked. Maybe a scenes crossfader, I think you get the idea.

6 Likes

This!

5 Likes

Honestly, its my Ukulele. O M G
:woozy_face:

Okay, I get it. Its atm not a single one, but many!

Prophet 12. Don’t have it, but from what I’ve listened to and read it is very flexible and should serve you well for a long time. I’d also consider the hydrasynth, though it might not have the same range.

2 Likes