The Octatrack's sound, really?

This is all great.

If you’re someone considering an Octatrack, and you’re browsing forums to pick up opinions on the instrument, it’s easy to find threads where the Octatrack’s sound is under scrutiny for this and that reason.

It’s important to let these potential newcomers understand that for this to matter, you need to have an acquired taste and a defined preference, usually the result of deep and extended experience with samplers. I think that’s cool and very relevant, but as a noob, if you end up in the wrong thread, you could easily believe the Octatrack cuts corners in the audio quality department that matters to everyone, that the compromise is obvious.

And that’s just plain wrong.

The last time this discussion came up, I got an idea for a test to hopefully sort this out once and for all. Would there be interest in a quickly made windows application that:

• has a selection of sample pairs, one of which has passed through the OT.
  • Allows one to listen to both versions of all samples as long as one want, knowing which is which.
  • Then one can run through a test where one gets presented two versions of a sample and needs to tell which is which. Both being exactly the same clip should also be possible. So four buttons
    [OT is A]
    [OT is B]
    [Both]
    [None]
  • When the test is completed, the result should be stored in a garbled text file that should be PM’d to me. I’ll degarble and send in return.

When sufficiently many have done the test we should be able to see if differences are spotted and if so, in which files.

The achilles for a test like this is the samples themselves, obviously. Perhaps we should agree on a guideline for how to record them, and then let those who want to to contribute? Are there other problems with this I haven’t spotted?

1 Like

Yes. Very interesting. I don’t know enough about recording to assist on that end, but I know a lot about testing and can round up a few people to participate in this, on my end. Some of them even work with music and stuff.

I’ve been on the fence about the OT for this very reason. I’ve been considering either getting an Octatrack, or an audio interface and focusing on Reason. I just scored a Virus Indigo 2, and the thought of sequencing and recording it with an OT sounds quite appealing.

I’ve been trying to figure out if the OT’s converters sound nice at all when overdriving them; I’ve heard conflicting opinions on this. I also want to know how usable the reverb is; lots of conflicting opinions on the quality/usability of the effects as well.

I believe I’m quite qualified to answer that, probably more than most people on this forum. I’ve owned pretty much everything from an Emulator 3 to a Dr Sample 202.

In short, no, the mojo we get from running into inputs hot does NOT translate well to the OT.

It’s strength is not color or conversion. It’s strength is in sample manipulation and sequencing.

I hope that helps. Other people may have conflicting opinions but I doubt those people have the same experience as me in using boutique hardware samplers for vibes, muscle, and lofi character, or in the range of samplers they’ve used.

Also, in order to get an idea of the strange way that the OT replays dynamics, look at something from Actress post-RIP, particularly Ghettoville.

That’s got OT dynamic all the way through, flat and distant 2D soundscapes with weirdly musical punchy stems.

I quite like the OT for its dynamic qualities to be honest, but it’s not front and center style drums for beat music. That is still the domain of your other well known samplers.

2 Likes

For over 2000 years bloodletting (the process of tapping blood from a patient to make him/her well) was used with great success. It was used by medical professionals to cure even stab/bullet wounds and “everyone” was absolutely convinced that it was effective treatment. Doctors and patients alike saw it working. In fact, George Washington died from a sore throat because the best doctors in the world kept tapping blood from him to fix it until he eventually died from lack of blood.

My point with this is that the kind of statements KOTARE is making above isn’t trustworthy. I’m not questioning his skills, ears or experience, it is just that all of us (and I really do mean ALL of us) gets tricked by our brains. I just use him as an example (I hope you don’t mind, KOTARE). If 2000 years of medical professionals not only didn’t notice that something as spectacularly stupid as tapping blood from patients about to bleed to death was a bad idea, let alone believing that it actually helped, vague subjective notions on how this and that gear affect sound isn’t reliable either.

A more relevant example from 1984. A professional expert and “digital audio-hater” reviewing a 16bit AD/DA converter and making statements on how it sounds are put to the test in a serious listening set up. He can’t tell the difference between the all-analog signal and one passing through the AD/DA converter, and afterwards admit that the conversion didn’t change the sound at all.

http://www.bostonaudiosociety.org/bas_speaker/abx_testing2.htm

If an expert can’t hear AD/DA conversion on an 30 year old converter, I’d argue someone being able to hear the conversions on a modern-day piece of gear seems unlikely. The claims to the contrary are more likely tricks of the mind.

But of course, musical gear is more than just conversion between analog and digital. The Octatrack might very well be doing something to audio passing through it even if it strictly speaking has nothing to do with the conversion process itself. A proper listening test should reveal this, though. The differences, if any, are likely to be extremely small and of more academic interest than of any practical relevance for music making. If not, the rest of us should have been able to hear what the few claim to hear, too. In short, my view is that there are many pros and cons for getting an OT, but the “sound” of it is not one of either.

2 Likes

Virus + OT is the best. There is a thread just about this, which i’m sure you’ve already perused.
I’m not a huge fan of the effects, but I have noticed that they can sound good, you just have to give them a bit of love and attention. I wish there was a better distortion. The filter, phaser, delay and dark reverb are great though. The delay took me a while to get my head around though, the various settings make it work in completely different ways, ways that are unique to elektron, i suspect.
I think it sounds quite nice overdriven, i don’t think i’ve ever noticed it harshly clipping like some other hardware I have. One of my favorite tricks at the moment is to use the cue as an effects loop back into the octatrack, and send the return back into cue with my Biscuit. Sounds so good, and provides heaps of interesting harmonic content for resampling.
I’ve had my OT for a couple of months. I’ve not fallen so hard for a bit of hardware in a very long time.

I’m a big fan of the nature of subjective sound, really big.

That’s why I don’t like spectographs, I don’t like looking at settings on compressors or EQs, I agree with you in that I really think it’s about one person’s ears.

But my post was about over driving the inputs. I’m sure that there will be someone in this world of infinite types of preference who will enjoy the sound of an over driven signal smashing the OTs input.

But I’d say that there wouldn’t be too many, especially when the context is the sound of an overdriven ASR or MPC60 :slight_smile:

Don’t wanna be pedantic but are we really talking about ‘overdriving the converters’ here? We drive trannies, inputs, valve stages, amps etc, we don’t smash AD converters, we hit 'em at unity.

Or even -6db… Hi everyone btw, long term hardware sampler user bout to take a dive into OT. XD

Oh I love to blast stuff at my SP1200 red hot, so not sure… :slight_smile:

Enjoy :slight_smile:

Surely you’ve enjoyed driving an 808 kick slightly (or massively) hot into the inputs on your hardware samplers?

Won’t be the same at all, but the lofi FX have a nice distortion and the compressor can get a bit aggressive.

But that’s driving the inputs surely, not the converters?

Absolutely. But that distortion is pre conversion, hence the terminology.

He he totally. I love me some filth, was mainly attracted to OT b/c creative possibilities and bypassing inherent flakiness of laptops on stage. Was about to dig out my rm1x and trigger my emu for live. What a coffin rig to drag around! Imagine my excitement to happen across OT which looks like does almost everything I need. One f***in box. :slight_smile:

It’d be interesting to get your feedback here once you get into it.

All hip hop and junglist samplists I know who’ve tried it are quite divided on it, TBH, mainly around the “sterility” of the sound. I’m taking it you’ve an Ultra or that kind of Emu?

Sonically, it’s no match for the Eiii, but what is? It’s why they cost 2k.

Yeah e4XT and I do like the sound of it’s conversion. I’ll just have to make the leap and embrace OT’s idiosyncrasies, the stuff I’ve heard online sounds great. Next gen performance mangling.

And I agree Kotare, not buying for AD conversion quality at the inputs especially, run through metric halo uln2 for recording, would just bounce sounds in on the card