The Octatrack can be quite granular-esque [example inside]

I though a fun exercise might be to use 4 tracks of the OT to make a granular cloud from a pad sample

Layering several granular methods at once to make a cloud of sound

Trig repeat with LFO on start and pan
Timestretch with speed at zero
Delay and dark reverb to increase the grain cloud density, comb filters, pitch shifting to add harmonics

Scenes to tweak the above

Anything else I can cram into 4 tracks?

Working on it tomorrow hopefully

1 Like

Because each track on the OT is monophonic, any attempts at granular texture have an inherent rhythmic ā€œmachine gunā€ quality to them. This can be mitigated as mentioned with attack phase / amp ā€¦ and trig repeats, however the issue remains. A software granular synth can play multiple overlapping grains to make a cloud. The Octatrack can only sequence a stream of monophonic grains.

depends on the source sound. on drumsā€¦ yeah perhapsā€¦ but on noisy and textural things it can be great for granular type sounds. simply scanning rapidly through longer samples using custom drawn LFOs that are at a high rate ā€¦ while simultaneously modulating aspects of the LFO can lead to some unique places.

i donā€™t have an OT anymore :frowning: but modulating start/end times of loops of textural material is part of the process to get to the granular like feel of what the OT can do.

these tracks feature noisy textural things using this technique. lotā€™s of background stuff. all the sounds are happening in the OT. just a bunch of samples being mangled.

6 Likes

This sounds great. I know you donā€™t have an OT but it would be great to get some more technical details.

How long are the loops you are modulating the start endpoints?eg <1 or >1 sec?
Do you turn off time stretch mode? How do you avoid the ā€˜clickingā€™ artefacts? Any fx eg reverb?

thanks. it was quite a while ago. i donā€™t really remember too many details. i tweaked the LFOs in LFO designer for quite a while to get what i needed. iā€™m pretty sure the loops were under 15 seconds in lengthā€¦ though couldā€™ve been longerā€¦ up to 30 seconds or so. the drums are all one shots.

Modulating start can be clicky.
I donā€™t use Retrigs but LEN, with PIPO loop mode.

Filter can reduce clicks strength.

Resampling a ā€œgrain trackā€ with envelope can eliminate clicks.

Itā€™s possible to use one shots rec trigs to record and one shots trigs to play constantly (untill you arm one shots again).

1 Like

Is there anyway to automate the re-arming of 1-shot trigs eg once every 4 bars so that the buffer keep ā€˜live updatingā€™ when new audio is constantly coming in?

Yes, with a midi track you can mute, sending CC54 (ARM ALL). But if itā€™s constant, no need for one shots.

One shots are good to grab audio sometimes, but you can also arm constantly holding YES (or FN+YES). Put one shots every 4 bars if you wish.

Plays Free tracks can do the job too. You can set them to HOLD and latch them changing to Grid Recording.

2 Likes

You can cheat with delay.

2 Likes

this is so nice, I still didnā€™t try the live looping mode and certainly Iā€™m missing something

How on earth do you get an LFO to match LEN? I have no idea how to match them to be the same

I donā€™t remember exact settings but basically if the sample is 1 bar, it can correspond to an lfo speed. Multiply this lfo while dividing LEN.

LEN 128 LFO MULTIPLY = 1
LEN 64 LFO MULTIPLY = 2
LEN 32 LFO MULTIPLY = 4
Etcā€¦

An lfo designer TRI can be 8 times faster.

1 Like

Thanks - but pity you can modulate LFO multi on the OTā€¦.