The new "very different" Elektron wild speculation thread

Absolutely. :slight_smile:

1 Like

OT effects are incredible.
As someone said above, stacking a bunch of them using Neighbor Machines offers something no other hardware does.
I prefer the character of the OT effects over so many others, especially Ableton Live.
I’d argue whats notorious is all the parrots reading and regurgitating comments without ever truly exploring the OT.

Just setting it up Scenes using this configuration proves to be years of fun that sounds bad ass and very unique to the OT.
Thru Track Lo_Fi/Comb
Neighbor Flange/Delay (no lock)
Neighbor Filter/Delay (locked)
Neighbor EQ/Darkverb

I’d love to see Elektron make a device that was somewhat like “The Finger” with their current knowledge of effects.
It would be glorious.

Complaining about effects quality seems to be unique to forums.
Never been around other musicians/artists in person that ever said “but the effects suck” on ANY device.
I found that mosts artist I talk to use what they have and get creative with it.

10 Likes

Octatrack tracks effects are digital. Meaning are themselves software. OT sequencer can do some cool things with them though.

I do agree that an effects box would be super cool.
Would it need a built in sequencer?

I fixed it for you

yea OT fx are killer. its how they’re implemented being greater than the sum of their parts or whatever the saying is :partying_face: - stacking neibours, xfader etc. amazing.

2 Likes

Monomachine „machines“ for the A4 MK2

Machinedrum „machines“ for the Rytm MK2

„free Update 2.XX“

both machines as Silver as they can get without any finish, just „RAW“ aluminium.

Red Oled Display
Blue Oled Display

3 Likes

No idea what this thing will be, but I’m holding on to the baseless hope that Elektron will one day collaborate with another manufacturer. How great would it be to have an Elektron workflow and sequencer paired with a Dave Smith, Nord or Jomox sound engine? Damn.

1 Like

Not really a problem, 3rd party batteries work fine with the digital devices. The analog ones are a bit power-hungry and that won’t be solved as much by miniaturization.

If all the “value-add” can be added with no overengineering of the original hardware, there’s no tangible benefit into stuffing features in that most persons can add for ~$50-80 extra.

I get disliking extra cables and batteries, but beyond cleanliness of your working surface, it’s functionally fine and persons who want to “go portable” have been doing it for ages :stuck_out_tongue:

So makes some persons twitch, absolutely. But not a “big, big” problem.

I was thinking this. What if they made a set of VST instruments that be used standalone, but when a digi box is connected via USB you can assign the VST to one of the midi tracks and have full onboard control of the synth (as though it were built into the device) and mix/send the VST audio like any of the first eight tracks.

1 Like

Finally moving away from the ancient ColdFire hardware platform and moving to something more contemporary like ARM. (fingers crossed).

:cry: :broken_heart:

Coldfire was the evolution of Motorola 68k, which is aesthetically central to demoscene culture etc.

ARM ancient history includes Acorn RiscPC and Apple Newton, which is indeed a “very different” aesthetic lineage :grinning:

4 Likes

Has Elektrons yet to be determined new direction made them loose focus as a company?

5 Likes

Maybe Roland discontinued the MX-1 because of an upcoming Elektron/Roland partnership – the Elektroland DigiMX-2 … 4 USB “Aira” ports, 4 USB Overbridge ports, SPDIF and a built-in Octatrack… but with SmartMedia instead of CF… and a color scheme gradient of flourescent green <-> salmon…

(oh wait, they’re saying “it’s not a mixer” – nevermind)

2 Likes

LOOK OVER THERE!! ITS A SQUIRREL!!!

quietly starts deleting every project I’ve made in the past 5 years

8 Likes

I’ll make sure to add granular FX to my kalimba recordings just for Fin

6 Likes

Next level marketing strategy, tell them it’s not a mixer. Then make a mixer. Genius.

4 Likes

Exactly what I was hoping

and a built-in modem for internet connectivity / fax send-receive

1 Like

My brother-in-law is a power tools dealer and has been talking about Elektron A LOT…
His source swears there’s a welder coming.

I might not need it, like I didn’t need a Syntakt, but this won’t stop me from pre-ordering.

2 Likes

Elektron Rotary Synthesiser

7 Likes

It’s not about cleanliness, it’s about being able to just grab a device with one hand and going to the couch to jam for ten minutes while the kids do their homework. It’s about not having to mess with 12V USB cables and powerbanks in the other hand. There’s a reason why the OP-1 is iconic: it offers a unique workflow in a portable form factor. Elektron has a similarly unique workflow, like a fusion between step sequencers and trackers. They’re just missing the portability.

If I were at Elektron, I’d consider the opportunity. They seem to build very robust devices for the “pro” musicians who either take these devices on stage or have them as part of their stationary studio rig. I think there are at least 10X more bedside musicians who are prioritizing convenience over reliability.

7 Likes