The new structure of the next OCTATRACK (in my opinion)

So in my opinion the new structure of a possible Octatrack MK3 should be, much leaner.
I would just leave the sets and patterns, delete the PART and BANK, but leaving the SCENE of course.
And obviously a nice SD card reader, the compact Flash is now obsolete.

1 Like

I heard that Elektron was hiring visionary people…

Octatrack structure diagram

6 Likes

Parts and bank are really useful, I use them extensively.

Its not obsolete if it still works, my camera use CF cards also.

6 Likes

I’m not an Octatrack user and I wasn’t sure what Compact Flash was so I Googled it. Although bigger than an SD card, apparently it’s transfer speed is twice that of SD. And there is a new version of CF that high end cameras are starting to use. Would SD just make it more compatible with other music devices? (I think my Zoom H6 uses SD.)

If that thread is serious it helps answer my question as to the myth of it being complicated to learn

2 Likes

I find the structure of the octatrack a bit too complex.
Personally I use it to do live not to compose for this I wrote according to my point of view.

1 Like

Everyone complains that the Octatrack is too complicated to learn, and that the Digitakt doesn’t do enough. You can’t have it both ways.

Meanwhile, nobody complains about how complicated their computer is to learn, even though it is way more complicated than an Octatrack.

That said, the Octatrack 3 could do with more understandable gainstaging, the Digitakt’s sampler module, and Overbridge.

And a battery.

2 Likes

Parts and scenes are not something I’d want to lose, at first like most people I was not a fan of parts, but once you accept and learn how they can work to your advantage they are better than kits per pattern I think, especially with regards to production or playing live.

But yeah it is personal preference.

6 Likes

6 Likes

You’re telling me you’d rather have one mono sampling track, with no automation, no quantization, than 8 fully independant stereo sampling tracks, with automation and quantization? Madness.

2 Likes

I think one of the strongest parts of Octatrack is its structure.

Things I’d like to see updated is

• Ram
  • Bit and Sample rate
  • Storage Size
  • higher parameter increments

I think having machines like the Digitakt has now is a good way forward, but with a lot more machines.
I.e. Granular, FM, AM etc.

2 Likes

This is true, some other grooveboxes/production gear are more complicated to learn too.

3 Likes

Those new shortcuts on latest sp404 mk2 are getting out of control

Add ability to add normal usb keyboard / usb host for controllers , maybe 2nd screen via usb

1 Like
1 Like

I’ve been using the computer since 1991, I certainly don’t learn it today. I think OT needs to be renewed a bit. I have several friends who are photographers and none of them have rephelx or mirrorless cameras that use compact flash cards.
Or at least increasing the capacity is absurd not being able to use 20-30 minute files with field recordings, so as to be forced to use an external medium.

1 Like

[quote=“MichaalHell, post:12, topic:190412”]

• Ram
  • Bit and Sam
    :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1:

:rofl: :joy: :rofl: :joy:

1 Like

Same here. It would be a bit silly to get rid of them.

People who don’t use them are welcome to ignore them :man_shrugging:

3 Likes

I’ll bite. My dream OT would have 2-4 midi outs, 8ins, 8outs and 4 cue outs (is ADAT to much to ask? jeez :rofl:). This isn’t going to happen. Love my mk1 as is.
Edit: A reasonable request, and maybe even possible with firmware upgrade out of nowhere- would be 16 parts per bank. But, I guess that would be just getting rid of parts and having each pattern be its own part so to say. Like the DT.

1 Like

This feels a bit like saying:

“I would like to suggest an improved house: no closets, shelves, or cupboards; just leave your stuff around wherever you feel like. Much simpler!”

:laughing:

4 Likes