The man with 2 Octatracks

I just acquired a second octatrack and wondering how others incorporate it into their live or studio setup or both. How is audio and midi routed, scenes, everything?

1 Like

Ask @AdamJay

already a big thread on it.

as always, search first

8 Likes

I don’t have two Octatracks, but I’ve thought of having two a few times. I like the idea of sending audio to each other with cue for maximum resampling chaos.

Are the 2 OTs the entire setup? Or if you have other gear in the mix, what does the rest of your setup look like? I think that might affect how you’d want to set things up. For example, I currently have a little mixer where I sum a few other instruments and then plug that mixer’s outputs into one of the OT input pairs, leaving the other input pair available for a stereo FX return (I use the cue as a send). If I had two OTs, I might use those cue sends to route from one OT to the other and have the second OT handle the FX sends instead.

Another idea would be to set them up serially, connecting the master outputs of OT1 to an input pair of OT2, then use the cues to send the OT2 back to OT1! You could set up some kind of infinite cascading resampling thing… I mean, that’s already pretty much possible with a single OT, so you’re basically multiplying its power by itself.

I think there’s a ton of stuff you can do. It really depends on your goals though. Maybe you want it to be super simple with one OT as a drum machine and the other one doing everything else –but I don’t think something like that would really take advantage of having two Octatracks.

Thank you. I’ll check it out.

1 Like

Not sure how helpful but Headless Horseman rocks two OTs sometimes…

2 Likes