The improvised techno thread

Maybe a little bit off topic, but still related:

I’m thinking of buying/building a case which fits all my gear pre-connected which I can carry around, so if I take it to another place, I just have to remove the lid and connect main stereo outputs to the sound system at the location. This would make it much easier and also forces me to commit to a certain compact setup.

Anyone else here uses something like this? Any tips?

I found some standard keyboard cases which are perfect in length and width, but they are pretty heavy for the stuff I’d like to carry around. They are also usually pretty high, where I only need about 12 cm of height.

They do a small and large too.

2 Likes

Built my own case for Explorer Cases.

2 Likes

Ideal!

Right!

Nice one @Fin25
Just not too sure how heavy the thing is…
Their website made me laugh…

They are pretty light, to be fair.

1 Like

Thanks, looks nice, but too small for my setup. My ideal size would be about 110 cm x 50 cm x 12 cm

1 Like

Regarding a small modular setup for improvisation, I´ve been looking to Trovarsi and Ihor´s setups but I don´t understand very well the modular world.

What are the specifications or capacities you´ll find more interesting when deciding modules to play live with the Elektrons?

1 Like

You can specify and order custom cases of Thomann’s “Thon” brand on their website. A recommendation if you dedicate this to a live setup: make sure that the “lid” can be completely taken off. Also the pre-cut cube-style foam pads are often too soft to properly hold your gear. I would by some proper high density foam for the inside - cutting is much easier and cleaner.

4 Likes

Yeah, the pickfoam stuff is pretty ropey to be fair.

1 Like

There is a lot of power in such a small form factor.

I’ve been meaning to make a thread asking if someone would be keen to make a case on modular grid to represent these magical Elektron boxes.

Each voice of the RYTM has its own analog filter, analog distortion, the box itself has its own reverb, delay and analog compressor. Then there are all the modulation possibilities. Each voice has its own LFO. Plus there is a sequencer in which each of the steps can be plocked. Then there’s the trig conditions as well.

The wires and the amount of boxes needed to recreate this box would b me huge I am sure. The downside… it isn’t as hands on or as knobby as a modular.

1 Like

Thats the main difference, with most modular, there’s no menus and submenus to navigate, most controls are there in front of you all the time. There are exceptions to this, Obviously.

I only recently got into modular for techno and I did it purely because the sound I wanted required it. I’d run out of hardware options to make the sounds in my head and modular has delivered for me on that front. It also helps that my entire setup now comprises a suitcase and a couple of things in a rucksack, so I’m super portable, if that sort of thing matters.

1 Like

Modular is ace and can be optimised (ie, made smaller & cheaper) for live / techno purposes if you offload the things it’s not great at (eg structured sequencing, drums, recallable presets and patterns) to an Elektron like DT/DN/AR/A4.

1 Like

The problem with modular that smaller often is more expensive. I planned a few racks and the small factor ones were often twice as much € :weary:

I am happy with my setup without Euro©rack but when I have the spare €€€ I will build a little percussion modular

It’s cheaper if you avoid things like complex sequencers and effects. But all modular is expensive, unfortunately.

1 Like

But that what’s I am after in modular. Random sequencers, Euclidian etc. when it’s all about improvising a good random sequencer + quantizer are really handy

Look at what Pelican has on their site. Can you get away with putting half the setup on the lid and half in the bottom of a pelican case, with a layer of foam in between when they’re closed? That would put you at something like 110 x 25 x 30, which might be easier to find — it’s not far off from a lot of the rifle cases

I understand that so I assume (and Surgeon said this in an interview) that a track would be produced from a jam with further minimal edition and mixing.

About that sound, I once heard an Intellijel Atlantis in person, and I was shocked about the sound, the “electricity”, I don´t know if you´re refering to something like this.

@finalform , @slawa_soloma

They are effectively expensive, so I´m afraid to open that door. I´d like to be sure about what I want, but everyone tells me that this is impossible so you have to try and try.

Hopefully I´d find the way to introduce modular raw sound and wildness into my “too prepared” setup.

1 Like

Well in my specific case I was looking for Synths that could emulate or use tube saturation and distortion. There were a couple of standalone options, but, for me, the Erica Fusion System is exactly the sound I was looking for, so that’s where I started.