The improvised techno thread

Great, I love the vibe!

500 format lunchbox with 3 Elysia modules: Xfilter, Xpressor, Karacter (in this order).

In love with loopy stuff… A4 on drums and bass… love this thing as a drum machine.
Was not sure if A4, Pulsar or Perkons is right for me! I love the concept of a 4 track machine. So glad I went with A4. So much power

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cw902dYrZGF/

4 Likes

Nice sounds!

I really love this style of techno, well done!

I fell into the modular rabbit hole and built my own setup using an old pelican case. I already owned a DFAM and Swarm and added some extra modules. Now I’m thinking that my case may be too small :rofl:

Anyway, I recorded a few sets with it. Here’s a preview:

Semi-modular techno

4 Likes

I usually stay away from too much melody/ alot different notes(for me thats more than 2/ chords and stuff… it can be fun tho… love doing more tonal stuff these days
https://www.instagram.com/p/CxEIbEOLSEq/

Still love doing drums alot more :smiley:

2 Likes

Ayyyyyyyyyyyy!!! That is banging!

1 Like

Incredible U.K. Garage breaks. Well into this!

Thank you so much mate!

The 3h live set we did back in February Rex Club in Paris is now online, 3h of pure improvisation with my friends Darzack, Porteix, ZPKF and Shaney.
Way too much gear to list :sweat_smile:

21 Likes

Great! Love what I’m hearing and sad I could not be there!
I’d love to take part in something like that one day!

How did you manage to not overcrowd the mix in this kind of situation? Did you have roles like bassline for someone, drums for another etc? Was it each person their moment? Or was it totally free?

2 Likes

Still listening but I like what I’ve heard so far. Who is who around the table, please?

Improving the improv every day, focusing on transition alot these days, I think its so important too keep a live going. I come from playing DJ sets, and I have always been a fan of mixing fast. Trying to do the same with hardware is way more challanging for me tho :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thank you ! We do have loose roles, and the dj mixers help a lot to get a clean mix. Everything that should not get any bass gets heavily eq’d (synths/atmos) so that kick/tom/basslines have the space they need. But we’re always playing all together, there’s never just one person handling the whole thing. Always listening to each other. If you hear someone coming up with a lead you just naturally lets yours die down etc… We know & respect each other music so it’s pretty seamless; I’m actually always surprised at how well it works. Could easily be a wall of noise nightmare.

@plragde
Darzack (tank top long hair) does the drum pads, TR909 (mainly higher percs, the kick was broken, and since then the hats are broken too; it was a bit overkill anyway), 808 processed in the modular.
Shaney the taller long haired guy : TR09 (main drums) + Lyra
ZPKF : 12u modular, mostly drones & atmospheres
Porteix (glasses) was doing leads and all the bleepy synths.
Me (beard) was doing some FM synth on the modular + bass lines and some OB6 samples on the OT.

9 Likes

https://www.youtube.com/live/pT-NVN12IuI?si=3FUtIVliBkktLzdW

4 Likes

I did some syntakt exploration a while ago…thats why its called syntaktexploration. easy right?

that kick on the “4 and” every 4 bars has too long of a decay so it ruins the transient of the kick on the 1. I didnt care though, analogue kick machine.

8 Likes

thats dark stuff bro. a very special kind of music, i love how its unpredictable. and undescribable.

2 Likes

fffff wow. this is dope. 2h09 has hypnotic Hypnus vibes:) like @Martebar said - i’m impressed with 5 people you kept the mix so clean and uncrowded!

3 Likes

Yes, @tumulishroomaroom I’m sure there’s a solid master clock but frequency and rhythm-wise, did you develop any tips for how you each work to prevent it all from turning to mud?